Help!!! W.O.T. rattle/noise at 5200 rpm, Second Lemon Law

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Westy737

Reaction score
My first 2018 Raptor was reclaimed by Ford under California's Lemon Law after they could not fix the same wide open throttle, 2WD, 5200-5500 rpm, NOISE/RATTLE that happens while shifting from 3rd to 4th and 4th to 5th in the 50-75 mph range. Floor the truck allowing the transmission to shift when it wants to in 2WD only, and it makes the noise every time in the 50-75 mph range. Truck does not make the noise in 4WD. It took a year for Ford to build me a 2019 and deliver it. New Truck did not make the noise till 1500 miles. Now my 2019 makes the same exact noise and the local dealership had the truck for 2 weeks with absolutely no luck fixing it. The Area Field Technician has been involved the whole time. I am running 91 Octane Chevron gas and they do not feel that it is an engine detonation. Because the noise only happens in 2WD, The dealership thinks the problem is in the transfer case. The Dealership replaced every single part in the vacuum system that locks up the front wheels in 4WD TWICE in my 2018 and it did not fix it (yes the hubs to). They disconnected the vacuum lines to the hubs on my 2019 and it still makes the noise. 2019 Truck in going to a new dealership today for a fresh set of eyes to look at. They replaced the cheap vacuum lines and check valve twice on my 2018. They checked the wastegate in my 2019 for the rattle, and say it is tight. Any Ideas??? Would somebody please go run their GEN 2 raptor from a stand still to 75 mph in 2WD and reply if it makes the same noise (kinda sounds like engine detonation/ping). Any help would be greatly appreciated before I have to have a SECOND GEN 2 reclaimed under the Lemon Law. A California Raptor with 91 Octane would help when trying to compare apples to apples just in case it is detonation.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
did an 0-80 pull this morning in 2wd sport mode. smooth as silk. no noise or vibrations.

2018 screw 17,*** miles.

OP
OP
W

Westy737

Reaction score
The Ford Dealership has in my paperwork that they test drove a new Raptor off of the lot and it did not make the noise. The Dealership also says they test drove a Gen 2 raptor with some miles on it, and it DID make the noise. Dealership thinks the noise is common to Raptors with miles, and is not a problem?!? My 2019 Raptor is at a new Dealership now.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This noise, would you say it's something that if someone other than you drove the truck would notice and be like "wtf is that!?" or would you say you're being overly **** about your truck and the vast majority of the population wouldn't hear a thing?

OP
OP
W

Westy737

Reaction score
This noise, would you say it's something that if someone other than you drove the truck would notice and be like "wtf is that!?" or would you say you're being overly **** about your truck and the vast majority of the population wouldn't hear a thing?

Jabroni619 - Great question! My first Gen 2, 2018 Raptor, the Dealership Tech's and the Field expert heard the noise plenty enough to replace everything in the Vacuum system that locks the front hubs "twice" to include the IWE's. Ford Hassled me very little with the Lemon Law buy back. Round 1 noise - everyone that is mechanical/raced or has any experience with ping/detonation, heard the sound loud and clear (I don't think it is detonation, just sounds like that noise). It was so bad, I would never show a buddy that I grew up, or someone that is mechanical, a full throttle pull for fear of embarrassment. Every time I hear the noise, my pride in the truck shrinks to a KIA like level. A nerd that has never rebuilt an engine or raced motorcycles might not notice. My wife noticed it. Same with my second Raptor. The 2019 noise is loud and clear. It is so bad, I can't live with it. What if they offered me a 20 year, 250,000 mile warranty on any damage that might be caused in the future due to the noise. Nope! It is that bad....

df4801

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wow. Sorry to hear about your problems. That sucks to have 2 lemons. But since you are familiar with the lemon law already, I would definitely go that route. No way I with live with a defective truck. Good luck!

OP
OP
W

Westy737

Reaction score
Wow. Sorry to hear about your problems. That sucks to have 2 lemons. But since you are familiar with the lemon law already, I would definitely go that route. No way I with live with a defective truck. Good luck!

Lemon Law is not quite that easy. For fear of ******** my current problem, I will not elaborate. Let's see what happens at the new dealership. So far, they have impressed me with their professionalism. fingers crossed