Heated Wheel Retrofit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Restaurantman

Reaction score
Any word from the dealer side as to a possible fix? It seems crazy that they will deliver vehicles at this price point and just expect the customers to accept it.

xlover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the only byproduct of not doing #2 is a behind the scenes DTC (with no dash warning or light) then I’m not overly concerned. I’ve already come to terms with the fact that this will be a non-warranty covered modification.

I just need to get the unit functioning. I will know soon if I can get it working.
Yea I am thinking the same thing, if the hvac module itself craps out and the dealer won’t replace due to warranty it’s only another $100 bucks or so, same with the sccm. Doubt ford could dare claim any of these components interfered with anything else they would get roasted in court pretty quickly considering the exact same vehicle with the exact same parts existed a model year earlier.

MZRaptor

Reaction score
Yea I am thinking the same thing, if the hvac module itself craps out and the dealer won’t replace due to warranty it’s only another $100 bucks or so, same with the sccm. Doubt ford could dare claim any of these components interfered with anything else they would get roasted in court pretty quickly considering the exact same vehicle with the exact same parts existed a model year earlier.
Plus I - like everyone else I'm sure - will be keeping the original parts. Just don't break the clock spring during the swap.

xlover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plus I - like everyone else I'm sure - will be keeping the original parts. Just don't break the clock spring during the swap.
im debating giving up on the lighted display and just going for one of the all in kits that has the non temp display

MZRaptor

Reaction score
im debating giving up on the lighted display and just going for one of the all in kits that has the non temp display
To be honest I would have done this if I knew what I now know when I bought the parts.

But I ordered the parts weeks ago. I started with everything I could source from tasca/fairway (all but the SCCM). When I couldn't find the SCCM anywhere else, I caved and I bought the boosted grey goose kit with just the SCCM and the harness (no HVAC) because I thought I was covered on the HVAC (ml3z-19980-k).

So where things stand now, I don't know of anywhere else to source the correct HVAC (2023 version, no digital read out, WITH heated steering wheel). So in order to get that part, I'd have to buy an additional kit from boosted grey goose (with the HVAC) and I don't want to spend that unless I absolutely have to.

My advice to anyone who hasn't bough the parts yet - just buy the boosted grey goose kit with the HVAC.

MZRaptor

Reaction score
OK - I can confirm what enjoitheride has been saying. The digital readout HVAC will not accept programming. It does turn on, display correct temp, allow controls of basic HVAC functions (auto, fan speed, temp, power on/off), however it will not activate heated or cooled seats, and obviously not the HSW.

SCCM from boostedgreygoose did accept programming without any issues.

I think thefull kit from boostedgreygoose (with HVAC) is the right way to go.

Last edited:

xlover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK - I can confirm what enjoitheride has been saying. The digital readout HVAC will not accept programming. It does turn on, display correct temp, allow controls of basic HVAC functions (auto, fan speed, temp, power on/off), however it will not activate heated or cooled seats, and obviously not the HSW.

Did exactly that, and we know that hvac will work, I believe @Andrews used that complete kit

OP
OP
enjoitheride

enjoitheride

Reaction score

What part numbers do you have? For the clockspring unit and for the HVAC module? The stuff you got from boosted.

MZRaptor

Reaction score
What part numbers do you have? For the clockspring unit and for the HVAC module? The stuff you got from boosted.
OK. Tons of research on this over the last 1-2 days including contact with a very highly skilled and experienced Ford "inside-guy".

The correct HVAC (no digital read out, with HSW, heated/cooled seats) is NL3T-18C612-TB, but will likely be sold under PN NL3Z-19980-S. This appears to be a very low availability part.

The HVAC that failed to take writing goes by two PNs: ML3Z-19980-K and ML3T-18C612-DE. Again, this part with digital temp readout would NOT accept programming from Forscan. Suggest that you do NOT buy. That being said, there is a whole thread of F-150 owners at various trim levels who have had success with this PN (https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/thr...vac-control-knobs-for-2023-f-150.14077/page-4). Note that they were not installing it to take advantage of HSW, per se, but just to bring back digital temp readout. I am not sure why they had success and we have not, or if the error we are encountering can be overcome with advanced programming tools other than Forscan.

The correct SCCM PN, I am less confident about. I am pretty sure it is ML3Z-3F791-BB. What I can say confidently is that you should NOT order the clock spring only (ML3Z-14A664-B) as it seems MY23 Raptors almost all have missing pins on the back of the housing itself, and the whole assembly is needed.

No harness, replacement steering wheel, or additional wires are needed. Replacement steering wheel almost 100% not necessary, as most everyone who has disassembled has found that they already have the correct steering wheel with the heating element.

I think the best value is the boostedgreygoosedesigns kit with everything included. It also comes with detailed instructions. I see NO reason not to use this kit.

This is my current executive summary lol. Good luck. Happy to answer any questions I'm able to moving forward.