Heated Wheel Retrofit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xlover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have me wondering now.

Is it not safe to reuse the steering wheel bolt?
Ford claims they are single use, however i have seen folks on the other f150 forum and on youtube reuse the bold, it only costs a bit over 2-3 bucks so i was considering getting ahold of one

xlover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can ask all these questions, guys. As stated when I signed up here, I have three good friends that work at the dealer. One is general sales manager, one is service manager, and one is parts manager. I just want to be transparent about that. I might not be the normal here. They go above and beyond for me, and I’m grateful for that. I would have to ask all these questions when I get my truck. It actually went in for a warranty issue, as my truck was delivered with a messed up rear seat. They had to order that, and during the course of its dealer stay, we decided to tackle the heated wheel. It’s actually been there for three weeks. Let me see what kind of info I can get.
i think you are in the best position to get info due to the tight relationships, rest of us would get a shrug or less if we asked our dealers to help.

OP
OP
enjoitheride

enjoitheride

Reaction score
Ford claims they are single use, however i have seen folks on the other f150 forum and on youtube reuse the bold, it only costs a bit over 2-3 bucks so i was considering getting ahold of one
Mine was replaced with new. Just got a text back from my buddy. Said, it’s a one time use due to torque to yield and safety.

MZRaptor

Reaction score
Just a heads up to those who purchased the climate controls with digital readout. They might not work for you. I have a master tech at Ford doing the programming, and the HVAC with digital readout will not take programming when plugged in. The unit without digital readout works. Just wanted to let you guys know ahead of time. They are still looking into things, but that’s looking to be an issue. I’m wondering if it’s because the readout was moved to the screen, and this is causing complication with the program.

Here’s a thread that may be of interest. https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/thr...vac-control-knobs-for-2023-f-150.14077/page-5

Looks like several other f150 owners at various trim levels have successfully swapped to the digital readout HVAC.

OP
OP
enjoitheride

enjoitheride

Reaction score
Here’s a thread that may be of interest. https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/thr...vac-control-knobs-for-2023-f-150.14077/page-5

Looks like several other f150 owners at various trim levels have successfully swapped to the digital readout HVAC.
I’m going to talk with my buddy today. Part of the issue, is the vehicle vin not seeing that module as belonging there. I see how guys are programming it to work. I’m going to talk with him, as this might cause a warranty issue down the road. They will see a ‘23 as having a part from a ‘21 Raptor. I need to verify if this will cause discrepancies, as I bought the Ford extended warranty.

MZRaptor

Reaction score
I’m going to talk with my buddy today. Part of the issue, is the vehicle vin not seeing that module as belonging there. I see how guys are programming it to work. I’m going to talk with him, as this might cause a warranty issue down the road. They will see a ‘23 as having a part from a ‘21 Raptor. I need to verify if this will cause discrepancies, as I bought the Ford extended warranty.
I suppose the same would go for the sccm technically. That’s not a vin compatible part since it came with the non HSW sccm.

My assumption is that nothing about the HSW, SCCM, or HVAC would be covered under warranty for those of us that choose to do this retrofit.

In any case I hope you keep us posted with your progress and additional info! Thanks for sharing your knowledge and connections.

OP
OP
enjoitheride

enjoitheride

Reaction score
I suppose the same would go for the sccm technically. That’s not a vin compatible part since it came with the non HSW sccm.

My assumption is that nothing about the HSW, SCCM, or HVAC would be covered under warranty for those of us that choose to do this retrofit.

In any case I hope you keep us posted with your progress and additional info! Thanks for sharing your knowledge and connections.
Will do!

xlover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I gathered on the HVAC retrofit thread… there are two “levels” of programming
1. Load the actual as built and codes needed for the unit to operate. Buttons and dials work as expected
2. Some deeper level of programming (beyond forescan style stuff) that tells the car this was the original, coded to vin component. The item will work exactly as expected without this but always throw a behind the scenes code.

Might be #2 driving the hang up if the dealer is trying to do this as warranty safe as possible?

MZRaptor

Reaction score
From what I gathered on the HVAC retrofit thread… there are two “levels” of programming
1. Load the actual as built and codes needed for the unit to operate. Buttons and dials work as expected
2. Some deeper level of programming (beyond forescan style stuff) that tells the car this was the original, coded to vin component. The item will work exactly as expected without this but always throw a behind the scenes code.

Might be #2 driving the hang up if the dealer is trying to do this as warranty safe as possible?
If the only byproduct of not doing #2 is a behind the scenes DTC (with no dash warning or light) then I’m not overly concerned. I’ve already come to terms with the fact that this will be a non-warranty covered modification.

I just need to get the unit functioning. I will know soon if I can get it working.