Having trouble starting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kinkrider888

Reaction score
Just about every time I go to start my truck nothing will happen. All I would hear is a click. It would eventually start after a couple turns but I just don't know what is wrong. I am thinking I need a new spark plug. I want your opinion please...

FSM06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kk88, if the veh is not cranking (meaning the starter is not engaging and actually turning the engine) and all you hear is a click, it is not likely a spark plug. I would investigate your electrical connections at the starter motor. Especially after viewing the pics in the mud hole. If the engine is turning when you engage the ignition key, then it is likely another issue. But still, one spark plug would not inhibit the engine from starting, only cause a mis-fire. Hope that helps.

Xjrguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A battery cable could be loose.

Check there first.

Do lights and everything else turn on and work?

OP
OP
K

Kinkrider888

Reaction score
Everything else works fine. Ill check the starter and see whats up with that. I learned that if I push down on the gas a little bit and then turn the ignition it'll start just fine.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In the old days when you heard clicking and not much else it was the voltage regulator. I have no idea if that's a possibility now...

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A "click" without the engine turning over is not likely a spark plug issue.

My vote is the starter might have gotten wet like has been mentioned. Check the battery and connections first though.

One thing to note on the Raptor is that it has "easy start". Once you turn the key to the start position even for a split second, the starter will turn over the engine for several seconds or until the engine starts.

OP
OP
K

Kinkrider888

Reaction score
Just got back from Ford with a new starter under warranty. I showed them the pictures and that the water did not go over the line on the side of the truck so they took care of it for me.