R starting issues...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cr23raptor1983

Reaction score
Whelp already having a developing issue(hopefully) not. Truck has about 100 miles on it and when warm has a pro-long cranking when starting the engine. Cranking time is about 4 seconds.
My regular 23 raptor starts right up.
Could this be a possible "new" break in pains? I tried it today and it seems to start normal now.

Only reason I mentioned about the break in pain is: I picked up the truck with 14 miles on it ... put it in sport mode the other day and the transmission shifted REALLY hard and was searching... then after about 10 miles it was functioning perfect.

CleverGirl_

Cabin Clown
Reaction score

200.gif

Bayou R

Reaction score
My R has about 3500 miles on it and was having a hard time starting and would run VERY rough for 5 minutes or so. It would also only do it on Cold starts when it was cold outside. Dealer changed the map sensors last week and so far the problem seems resolved.

_M_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whelp already having a developing issue(hopefully) not. Truck has about 100 miles on it and when warm has a pro-long cranking when starting the engine. Cranking time is about 4 seconds.
My regular 23 raptor starts right up.
Could this be a possible "new" break in pains? I tried it today and it seems to start normal now.

Only reason I mentioned about the break in pain is: I picked up the truck with 14 miles on it ... put it in sport mode the other day and the transmission shifted REALLY hard and was searching... then after about 10 miles it was functioning perfect.
No. It’s an issue.

My dealer is going to try a new fuel pump first. The 7.3s have a similar problem and that’s the fix. I was thinking it might the fuel tables not compensating for a warm engine.

Never does it on cold starts. Only when at operating temp

_M_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Log when it does happens. I actually started videoing starts. That helped the dealer

Hard R

Reaction score
Log when it does happens. I actually started videoing starts. That helped the dealer
I had to do the same thing when my truck was rattling on cold starts. Don't start the car until you are recording. Even then, the dealer wanted to keep the car overnight to try to replicate the sound on cold starts.