Extended Engine Cranking when starting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vazo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Happy Holidays all!

I have a weird situation with my 2023 Raptor R.

It has less that 2000 miles on it but right from the time I took delivery i noticed that at times ( 1 out of every 10 for example) when I try to start it, the starter engages spins the engine but it doesn't start right away. It spins it for 3-4 sometimes 5 seconds and then eventually starts.

Like I said, it doesn't happen all the time. Just curious if any of you have had this happen? My 2018, and 2022 never had this issue.

I did try searching for this but found nothing.

Cornwallis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, I have a similar experience. I have about 1500 miles, but it's done it since new. It seems like usually when the motor is warm, sitting maybe 30-60 minutes, not hot or cold.

OP
OP
V

vazo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes that's the same with mine as well.

Did you talk to your dealer about it?

Mine had no answer for me.

Cornwallis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes that's the same with mine as well.

Did you talk to your dealer about it?

Mine had no answer for me.
Nope. While I can say I noticed it, I can’t say I care all that much. It does start, so I guess I figure whatever. I mean it’s definitely a high performance engine and they tend to be a little finicky in my experience. So I just haven’t worried about it.

signalbobby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry I just reposted this same problem on 23 yesterday. It doesn't seem to be when it's a cold start, cold temps or warm.

nd3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup.. Random "retarded" start is what I call it.. Haven't been able to pin point what causes it.. but it does it occasionally.. weird.. I feel better now that yall got it too! LOL

Jake226

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just picked up a new R last week that also has presented this “struggling start” about 5 times since purchase. Neither of my eco’s 19 or 21 suffered from this. Like you all have expressed, the engine hasn’t failed to start yet….

Build date was the 12-7-23.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's proabably good old vapor lock if it never happens on a cold startup.

There is a strategy in the ECM to combat vapor lock when the engine is hot (raises the pressue temporarily to start the engine). Ford propably needs to tweak that some.

signalbobby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It does happen on dead cold too. Just not always cold though.

Sitting in a drive through I shut it off,only to turn back on with the struggle bus start.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter