Godzilla 7.3 Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The old way to do it was to run 2. One to run the engine (usually aftermarket EFI) and leave the stock set up to run every thing else.

OP
OP
Canuck714

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The old way to do it was to run 2. One to run the engine (usually aftermarket EFI) and leave the stock set up to run every thing else.
Agreed. But the Ferd communicates back and forth between module with the Can-Bus network. The throttle position sensor (ECU) sends position input to the TCM so it can calculate load and position.
So a stand alone ECU wont help if there is no signal going to other modules.

I'm still working on the details, it can be done using the existing 11-14 ECU and tricking it, but hard to get hold of anyone that has done more than 1..lol

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Agreed. But the Ferd communicates back and forth between module with the Can-Bus network. The throttle position sensor (ECU) sends position input to the TCM so it can calculate load and position.
So a stand alone ECU wont help if there is no signal going to other modules.

I'm still working on the details, it can be done using the existing 11-14 ECU and tricking it, but hard to get hold of anyone that has done more than 1..lol
Well, yes- I assumed that work was implicit in my post. It's not going to be as simple as "one runs one and ones runs the other". Some stock stuff is not gonna be happy, and you are going to have to transfer, or fake some signals to make it happy.

This is why I said don't bother swapping engines that have different electrical architecture early on in this thread. It's one thing to do it on the same system (still a PITA), but once Ford changes the entire electrical system to a new configuration- you are going to spend so much money and time it's not worth it. It's not really much more powerful than the 6.2L in stock form, so it's not like dropping a 460 HP Coyote in a '78 Fairmont that had 180 HP. Lots of work for little gain.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Canuck714

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So........

no one did the swap yet?
I know of 2 people that have made it work. One guy in Utah and a guy here in TX.
The TX truck has issues so I am not leaning on him for advice at this point. Broc in Utah is developing a flywheel for the 7.3 to use the existing 6.2 crank trigger and some other wire harness pieces. This is the most complete set up, its just getting the Copperhead ECU tricked to see 1 locked out cam.

Stojanowski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, yes- I assumed that work was implicit in my post. It's not going to be as simple as "one runs one and ones runs the other". Some stock stuff is not gonna be happy, and you are going to have to transfer, or fake some signals to make it happy.

This is why I said don't bother swapping engines that have different electrical architecture early on in this thread. It's one thing to do it on the same system (still a PITA), but once Ford changes the entire electrical system to a new configuration- you are going to spend so much money and time it's not worth it. It's not really much more powerful than the 6.2L in stock form, so it's not like dropping a 460 HP Coyote in a '78 Fairmont that had 180 HP. Lots of work for little gain.
Easier to find a 7.3 over the 6.2 right?