Godzilla 7.3 Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
An alternative to the megazilla would be texas speed’s crate 7.3. Still runs stock bottom end, fine for me as I am good with staying NA anyways. Comes in at $15,000 , which is about as much as a 7.3 from for with stage 1 heads, cam, phaser lockout, etc.

sc85fiero

Reaction score
This thread has gone downhill fast........

On another note, I just opened up another 7.3 with 11k miles that wiped out a cam lobe already.

The "no replacement for displacement" stuff is kind of nonsense TBH. Technology, design, and engineering have consistently created more power, more durability, more reliability and better fuel economy out of smaller and lighter engines.

The rest is up to the opinion of the person doing the swap.

-Joe

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This thread has gone downhill fast........

On another note, I just opened up another 7.3 with 11k miles that wiped out a cam lobe already.

The "no replacement for displacement" stuff is kind of nonsense TBH. Technology, design, and engineering have consistently created more power, more durability, more reliability and better fuel economy out of smaller and lighter engines.

The rest is up to the opinion of the person doing the swap.

-Joe
To put this thread into a bit of context, the 7.3 swap makes sense for us 6.2 folks. It appears to be a pretty easy swap, as far as swaps go. Not that I want an ecoboost in my raptor, but it would be a much more difficult swap.

And full disclosure I have had a gen 1 ecoboost in an fx4, can’t remember which “model” of the Fx4c but it had the red piping on the seats and it was pretty nice IMO. I was happy with that engine too, so I’m not an ecoboost hater, I just prefer the V8 for my application. My truck is far from a daily driver as well.

As far as the thread going downhill, that does tend to happen when passionate folks get to talking. Still some good info in here.

As far as the 7.3 goes that you opened up, what do you know about its history? Any clues as to why it had the issue that it did?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
To put this thread into a bit of context, the 7.3 swap makes sense for us 6.2 folks. It appears to be a pretty easy swap, as far as swaps go. Not that I want an ecoboost in my raptor, but it would be a much more difficult swap.
Yep, that was the original context of the thread. Even the transmission bolt pattern is the same between the 6.2 and 7.3. Weighs about the same but narrower being an OHV, so easier installation and service.
The only complex part should be integrating the PCM with the existing vehicle architecture.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yep, that was the original context of the thread. Even the transmission bolt pattern is the same between the 6.2 and 7.3. Weighs about the same but narrower being an OHV, so easier installation and service.
The only complex part should be integrating the PCM with the existing vehicle architecture.
I have read that it plays reasonably “nice” as well. I think palm beach dyno has been working on it as well as some others. Seems that the harder part of that is telling it to read one cam sensor opposed to two. I believe a few sensors are direct swaps.

Only thing I’m not pumped about is needing to run a 90* fitting on the oil filter to relocate it around the rear crossmember. I guess a positive is that the 6.2 oil cooler will work though.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
For those of us that own these trucks, the driveability and powerband are the exact opposite of the nonsense you’re claiming. They have significantly more torque at lower RPM than your old “screamin” cast iron lump. So if anything, your old 2V is “working harder”.
Here's part of the problem. Quit acting so high and mighty- the Gen 2 trucks are not chariots of the Gods compared to a horse drawn wagon cart of the Gen 1.

FTZero acts as if nobody who likes the large N/A V8 engines over the TT V6 have ever owned, or even driven a Raptor produced after 2017. We are are lost out to sea without a clue.

I for one own two Ford EcoBoost powered vehilces. One has the 2.7TT and one has the 3.5LTT. I've driven numerous Gen 2 Raptors for quite a few thousand miles, but never a Gen 3.

I know what low end grunt is from boost. I also know what a PITA a vehicle is once it gets old and has turbos hung on it.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here's part of the problem. Quit acting so high and mighty- the Gen 2 trucks are not chariots of the Gods compared to a horse drawn wagon cart of the Gen 1.
Here’s the whole problem…you’re derailing another thread again because you’re an angry, bitter, and just plain miserable person. You have nothing positive to contribute to this forum, only snide remarks and pathetic attempts to try and badmouth Gen 2 and 3 trucks. That is your entire MO on here, talking crap on EcoBoost owners because you can’t accept the fact that your old 6.2 is a wheezing dog even with a blower slapped on it.
FTZero acts as if nobody who likes the large N/A V8 engines over the TT V6 have ever owned, or even driven a Raptor produced after 2017. We are are lost out to sea without a clue.
FTZ? :rotflmao:

Good one caveman, and ironic coming from someone who always accuses others of “insults” and “name calling” on here.

When your fellow caveman says a Gen 2/3 EcoBoost has to “kick and scream all the time to get the job done”, it’s obvious the guy has both never driven one nor does he have the slightest clue what he’s talking about.
I know what low end grunt is from boost. I also know what a PITA a vehicle is once it gets old and has turbos hung on it.
It’s called maintenance, maybe you’ve never heard of it. The only high mileage Gen 1 3.5 issues are turbo coolant leaks, which are typically the result of running the orange coolant for too long an interval, and a broken rear exhaust manifold bolt on trucks that were used for heavy towing on a regular basis. Neither apply to the Gen 2.

Enough will your false narratives, people see right through your ********. You’re only here to stir up trouble.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score

I for one own two Ford EcoBoost powered vehilces. One has the 2.7TT and one has the 3.5LTT. I've driven numerous Gen 2 Raptors for quite a few thousand miles, but never a Gen 3.

theres no point.. hes the forum ambassador, and you'll never be right on any level in his high and mighty eyes.

just watched a video baselining the godzilla crate engine right from summit and seems that its highly underrated out of the box...

i mean listen to that thing sing... no ecoboost trombone pipes here bud!

Last edited:

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here’s the whole problem…you’re derailing another thread again because you’re an angry, bitter, and just plain miserable person. You have nothing positive to contribute to this forum, only snide remarks and pathetic attempts to try and badmouth Gen 2 and 3 trucks. That is your entire MO on here, talking crap on EcoBoost owners because you can’t accept the fact that your old 6.2 is a wheezing dog even with a blower slapped on it.

FTZ? :rotflmao:

Good one caveman, and ironic coming from someone who always accuses others of “insults” and “name calling” on here.

When your fellow caveman says a Gen 2/3 EcoBoost has to “kick and scream all the time to get the job done”, it’s obvious the guy has both never driven one nor does he have the slightest clue what he’s talking about.

It’s called maintenance, maybe you’ve never heard of it. The only high mileage Gen 1 3.5 issues are turbo coolant leaks, which are typically the result of running the orange coolant for too long an interval, and a broken rear exhaust manifold bolt on trucks that were used for heavy towing on a regular basis. Neither apply to the Gen 2.

Enough will your false narratives, people see right through your ********. You’re only here to stir up trouble.

Your co-workers must really love you.. Talk about an angry person LOL.

More insults again. As usual.

"False narratives". What are you even talking about?

Is it a false narrative that a n/a engine is inherently more reliable than a turbo engine- given, you know the lack of turbos to fail? Never replaced a single turbo on my n/a V8s (go figure). Every turbo engine I've owned has eventually had one or more turbos replaced in the time I've owned it. Light blue haze at startup.

You fail to acknowledge the added complexity of a turbo system leads to more failures. Simply "maintaining it" does not change that.

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
theres no point.. hes the forum ambassador, and you'll never be right on any level in his high and mighty eyes.

just watched a video baselining the godzilla crate engine right from summit and seems that its highly underrated out of the box...

i mean listen to that thing sing... no ecoboost trombone pipes here bud!
I hate to rain on your parade there chief, but all new Ford engines are SAE Certified. Meaning the true output is 430HP and 475 lb-ft per the SAE standard. Independent dynos will vary, but they certainly aren’t gaining 89 HP and 111 lb-ft of torque from a set of Long Tubes.