Godzilla 7.3 Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The variable displacement oil pump doesn’t run lower than normal oil pressure at idle. The variability is to allow for higher pressures at under high load, low RPM conditions.
interesting, I will need to wrap my head around engine rpm vs pump rpm vs pressure output of a pump to respond more intelligently.

I originally viewed the purpose of the variable displacement pump was to help with fuel economy, as in can run lower pressures at lower load for instance independent of engine rpm.

So is it electrically controlled?

Either way, my intent was an added variable. From the point of it isn’t that variable displacement oil pumps are bad, but rather to the effect that a certain batch of them could be “faulty” and I hate that word for what it is worth.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I don't want turbos when I am down in Baja running crap Pemex fuel.
stock tune eco will take 87, and run just fine. You won’t have all the power and torque, and neither will your v8, but will run just fine. Lower than 87, I’m not able to say.

The added weight of the 7.3 is a thing, the truck is already 5700 pounds and I can see the 7.3 gaining some traction in the aftermarket world. If that translates to a good option, great.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
stock tune eco will take 87, and run just fine. You won’t have all the power and torque, and neither will your v8, but will run just fine. Lower than 87, I’m not able to say.

The added weight of the 7.3 is a thing, the truck is already 5700 pounds and I can see the 7.3 gaining some traction in the aftermarket world. If that translates to a good option, great.
Your being polite, is gen 1’s aren’t 5,700lbs

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
interesting, I will need to wrap my head around engine rpm vs pump rpm vs pressure output of a pump to respond more intelligently.

I originally viewed the purpose of the variable displacement pump was to help with fuel economy, as in can run lower pressures at lower load for instance independent of engine rpm.

So is it electrically controlled?
Yes, it’s electronically controlled by a solenoid mounted to the pump. It allows oil pressure to be varied independently of engine speed.

A traditional high-volume oil pump provides higher oil volume/pressures throughout all engine operating speeds. So when demand is low, such a cruising speed, pressure is still much higher than it needs to be, which results in higher parasitic losses and oil shear, which breaks down oil viscosity.

At that same cruising speed, if load is increased, the HV oil pump has no way to increase pressure unless RPM is increased. So that same oil pressure that was excessive at cruising speed is now only just adequate as load increases.

The VD oil pump allows lower pressures under cruising/light load saving wear on the pump and the oil, but ramps up pressure instantly as soon as load increases, regardless of engine speed. It offers ideal oil pressure under all operating conditions.
Either way, my intent was an added variable. From the point of it isn’t that variable displacement oil pumps are bad, but rather to the effect that a certain batch of them could be “faulty” and I hate that word for what it is worth.
If it were a base pump issue, it would have low oil pressure w/DTCs. If there is a solenoid or electrical issue, the pump defaults to high volume mode.

Roller lifter and cam journal wear on OHV engines like the Ford 7.3, GM LS, and Hemi is entirely attributed to lubrication quality. Many fleets run the cheapest quality of oil and filters and then let them idle for hundreds of hours while changing the oil based solely on mileage.

sc85fiero

Reaction score
To each their own, I have been in the Automotive world for 23 years professionally, and aside from working with OEMs at dealerships (the last 7 years with my current Ford dealer) I also have a penchant for building/customizing/fabricating cars out of my garage including many engine swaps. (My username refers to my current supercharged 3800 swapped 85 Fiero). Not saying I'm right about everything, but a 7.3 swap into a 3.5EB Raptor is about the last thing I would do.

Everyone sees the big impressive size of the 7.3, the old school overhead valve design, the cool name Ford gave that engine (Godzilla) and think of high displacement, high HP and torque. The problem is, that engine was designed for use in large heavy fleet super duty trucks, E-vans, and motorhomes. It was not really designed with high RPM, high HP and torque in mind. basically its meant to be used where a diesel normally would when a fleet doesn't want the hassle of a diesel truck.

I also have to agree that there is much more aftermarket for the 3.5EB just solely due to the years in production versus the 7.3. The aftermarket may start making more stuff for the 7.3, but Ford still makes the 3.5EB and the aftermarket will keep supporting it.

As a Ford tech, I have had more than enough 3.5EB apart for various reasons, and I have had three 7.3 engines apart, Ill take the engineering that went in to the 3.5EB over the simpler design of a motorhome engine for my performance needs.

-Joe

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Same vs same, a bigger engine always makes more power and torque. There is no replacement for displacement.

The 3.5L TT Ford engine will never be sold with 700+ HP and a warranty.

The S/C V8s are though, in multiple vehicles, across multiple brands.

The OEMs have moved on to boosted V8s for big power. The top dog gas engines in Ford, GM and Dodge lineups are all S/C V8s.

There is another 100+ HP left in them when they move to from the blower to turbos.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
To each their own, I have been in the Automotive world for 23 years professionally, and aside from working with OEMs at dealerships (the last 7 years with my current Ford dealer) I also have a penchant for building/customizing/fabricating cars out of my garage including many engine swaps. (My username refers to my current supercharged 3800 swapped 85 Fiero). Not saying I'm right about everything, but a 7.3 swap into a 3.5EB Raptor is about the last thing I would do.

Everyone sees the big impressive size of the 7.3, the old school overhead valve design, the cool name Ford gave that engine (Godzilla) and think of high displacement, high HP and torque. The problem is, that engine was designed for use in large heavy fleet super duty trucks, E-vans, and motorhomes. It was not really designed with high RPM, high HP and torque in mind. basically its meant to be used where a diesel normally would when a fleet doesn't want the hassle of a diesel truck.

I also have to agree that there is much more aftermarket for the 3.5EB just solely due to the years in production versus the 7.3. The aftermarket may start making more stuff for the 7.3, but Ford still makes the 3.5EB and the aftermarket will keep supporting it.

As a Ford tech, I have had more than enough 3.5EB apart for various reasons, and I have had three 7.3 engines apart, Ill take the engineering that went in to the 3.5EB over the simpler design of a motorhome engine for my performance needs.

-Joe

well...thats you. im still putting one in my truck, megazilla spec, then whipple supercharged down the road..

is there aftermarket cylinder heads, or intake manifolds for 3.5? i think ive seen one set of aftermarket exhaust manifolds, and basically one manufacturer of a larger turbo, in one or two sizes.. theres really not much in hard parts vs. what is already out there for the 7.3L.

i dont understand the lure of trying to run 600-700hp from a V6 when its easily attainable, less stressed and less high strung, while also keeping good drivability to do it with a V8 swap.. i guess im just a dumb hillbilly.

Last edited:

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Time will TELL. I don't have a Cristal ball or a DeLorean with a flux capacitor. I can't predict the longevity of the 3.5eb like the Fiero and It's ability to be a chameleon and become the base of so many Kit Cars. I stoped counting.
IF the 3.5eb turns out to be a mechanical nightmare 20 years from now 7.3 will be the go to? I don't know. What I do know is the truck will be there and desirable. what will be the power plant. Only time will tell.
Best example I can think of is the 1993-1995 RX7 The twin turbo rotary was fast lots of power but wow what a pain to rebuild/reseal. I have done a couple of them and a couple with LS swaps. Most just LS swap them. because mechanical nightmare of the rotary. The 93-95 RX7 is the desired years for this model. Go try and find one.
The raptor will be desirable. Power plant Time will tell.