Gen2 swap onto gen1 complete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdm_sixtwo

11MPG is average, right?
Reaction score
So I found some gen2 front shocks with 30k miles for $100 locally. Installed them today and absolutely love it. Rides about the same maybe a little stiffer but I vastly prefer that to the old nosedive it did when slamming on brakes. My old shocks weren’t leaking at all I just wanted the upgrade and longer rebuild interval as well as height and these gave it for cheap. CVs already had torn boots before I installed the new shocks but I won’t install new ones till I decide I’m keeping the 3.0s. Neither click yet but I have IWEs disconnected so they’re going to wear sooner rather than later. I’ll post follow ups to the shocks at mileage.

Attachments

• IMG_2655.jpeg
    IMG_2655.jpeg
    389.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2658.jpeg
    IMG_2658.jpeg
    411 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2657.jpeg
    IMG_2657.jpeg
    373.9 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2660.jpeg
    IMG_2660.jpeg
    290 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_2678.jpeg
    IMG_2678.jpeg
    536.2 KB · Views: 45
OP
OP
jdm_sixtwo

jdm_sixtwo

11MPG is average, right?
Reaction score
PS, if anyone wants my old shocks let me know. $100 and I’ll ship them on your dime. Not blown just dirty and have a little undercoat on them.

Attachments

• IMG_2680.jpeg
    IMG_2680.jpeg
    399.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2676.jpeg
    IMG_2676.jpeg
    379.8 KB · Views: 17

CleverGirl_

Cabin Clown
Reaction score
So I found some gen2 front shocks with 30k miles for $100 locally. Installed them today and absolutely love it. Rides about the same maybe a little stiffer but I vastly prefer that to the old nosedive it did when slamming on brakes. My old shocks weren’t leaking at all I just wanted the upgrade and longer rebuild interval as well as height and these gave it for cheap. CVs already had torn boots before I installed the new shocks but I won’t install new ones till I decide I’m keeping the 3.0s. Neither click yet but I have IWEs disconnected so they’re going to wear sooner rather than later. I’ll post follow ups to the shocks at mileage.
Stock top hats and gen 2 spring i assume?

OP
OP
jdm_sixtwo

jdm_sixtwo

11MPG is average, right?
Reaction score
Highly recommend this so far. Rides great and looks great too, plus gen2 shocks service intervals are every 100k vs gen1s 50k

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Just my experience, when we bought the 2010 it came with Gen 2 shocks on it. They are too long and the ride was horrible. You could stand and bounce on the tailgate or bumper and get almost no movement. We put on a set of Gen 1's on and it was like riding on a cloud of boo-bies, as Ford intended.

OP
OP
jdm_sixtwo

jdm_sixtwo

11MPG is average, right?
Reaction score
Just my experience, when we bought the 2010 it came with Gen 2 shocks on it. They are too long and the ride was horrible. You could stand and bounce on the tailgate or bumper and get almost no movement. We put on a set of Gen 1's on and it was like riding on a cloud of boo-bies, as Ford intended.
Yeah I’ve seen you mention that here before. I bet yours had stock gen2 springs and tophats causing it to be stiffer. Mines stiffer than my gen1 stuff but I wanted that. Rears are still stock trashed gen1s

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Yeah I’ve seen you mention that here before. I bet yours had stock gen2 springs and tophats causing it to be stiffer. Mines stiffer than my gen1 stuff but I wanted that. Rears are still stock trashed gen1s
They had Gen 1 springs and parts. I got a lightly used set and they had the same parts on them.

I was used to the ride of my '18 at the time and I just didn't like it. I know some people do. All good.