Gen 4 500hp dark horse V8

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Some of you…..are purposely obtuse. It’s silly.
What responses in this thread do you consider “obtuse”? I literally posted the engine’s stats…it’s clearly not suited for a truck application, never mind a Raptor. If they were to modify it for a truck application (manifolds, cams, heads, etc) to move peak torque lower in the power band, you lose top end power. At which point you end up with the 5.0 available in every other F-150, which is still gutless.

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ford put a "ferrari" v10 in tons of vans and trucks. where used for industrial applications and even put it in a mustang
You proved my point exactly.

Big heavy duty engines are for truck and vans and industrial applications. The fact ford put one in a mustang PROTOTYPE should tell you it wasn't worth doing.

You are too stupid to argue with.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Yes I agree.. any 5.0 isn't a good fit for a raptor unless it's got a power adder..

never suggested that it was. I've always been a 7.3L advocate, and as I've said many times that if you're going thru the work to put a godzilla in a raptor there's a very low chance you're putting a stock super duty engine.. you'd at least change cam and valve springs. But we'll continue to roll eyes and facepalm.. live your life
How much $$$ on top of the crate motor do you reckon it would take to have it “Raptor ready”? Not full on ‘let’s drag race this thing’ but a respectably solid output with reliability?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes I agree.. any 5.0 isn't a good fit for a raptor unless it's got a power adder..

never suggested that it was. I've always been a 7.3L advocate, and as I've said many times that if you're going thru the work to put a godzilla in a raptor there's a very low chance you're putting a stock super duty engine.. you'd at least change cam and valve springs. But we'll continue to roll eyes and facepalm.. live your life
And it’s still a 600lb engine with less power and torque than a stock Raptor. We’ve been this over and over, weight is the enemy on a high performance truck, especially one designed to get airborne.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
...(sigh)....and again. There is a difference between a RACE application motor and a TRUCK motor.
Again. Say after me.

I HAVE A 7.3 RACE / ROAD TUNED 7.3 IN A KIT CAR.
I DO NOT HAVE A 7.3 TRUCK ENGINE TUNED TO HAUL IN MY KIT CAR.

(And I do love that Cobra. Love the livery and the side pipes.) Share some pics of the inside when you can.
Not my car, saw it in a 7.3L swap group I follow on FB.. I believe you can get them right from backdraft with 7.3L

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How much $$$ on top of the crate motor do you reckon it would take to have it “Raptor ready”? Not full on ‘let’s drag race this thing’ but a respectably solid output with reliability?

If ford follows thru on megazilla, I don't think you'd need to spend much other than headers to make it work. Obviously the sky is the limit on what can be done.. I'd probably go used engine, cam swap, forged pistons/rods and run it.. until I could afford a supercharger..

I also do not believe that 150-200lbs makes a difference in front when many have several extra hundred lbs in the back.. spare tires, jack, tools, spares.. it's would still be relatively balanced

I wouldn't say this truck was designed to get airborne, it can yes, but it was designed to go fast across the desert in comfort..

OP
OP
MORaptor1

MORaptor1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And it’s still a 600lb engine with less power and torque than a stock Raptor. We’ve been this over and over, weight is the enemy on a high performance truck, especially one designed to get airborne.

You sure about the 5.0 weight vs 3.5eb? And less power…..come on. This whole debate is academic. They are VERY competitive engines vs each other if ford wants it that way.

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You sure about the 5.0 weight vs 3.5eb? And less power…..come on. This whole debate is academic. They are VERY competitive engines vs each other if ford wants it that way.
He’s talking about Godzilla weight.

The 5.0 and 3.5 are not comparable as far as torque goes and they never will be if the 5.0 is n/a. Period.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’ve already explained it. “Less power”, and significantly less torque has already been proven. They’re not even close to competitive in a truck application. You can’t call something “academic” when you have no understanding of the background.

You’re assuming a lot of things that are incorrect. Would I rather have a 3.5 HO in a Mustang or the 5.0? I choose the 5.0 all day, its characteristics are perfect for its purpose. But would I want that 5.0 in a Raptor? No, because the 3.5 HO is better suited to the application. Not sure why it’s such a debate.