Gen 4 500hp dark horse V8

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This thread is exhausting

View attachment 445216

are you talking about the constant need to tell people what they think or suggest or don't understand is wrong?

there will never be a healthy discussion on these subjects.. as is shown in this 25 page thread..

just looking at dyno sheets and saying its a terrible idea isn't really a discussion.

unfortunately that's the real facts on this forum.

there is plenty of raptor swapped 5.0L F150s out there doing their thing.
they seem to be having fun.
probably a gearing change would help, but honestly a 5.0 without a power adder is going to be a downgrade to the 3.5HO in the power/torque department if you are planning an engine swap..
supercharged 5.0L is working for a lot of people in swaps

Ford isnt going to do the dark horse engine in the raptor, thats 100%

ToadSmasher2K1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
are you talking about the constant need to tell people what they think or suggest or don't understand is wrong?

there will never be a healthy discussion on these subjects.. as is shown in this 25 page thread..

just looking at dyno sheets and saying its a terrible idea isn't really a discussion.

there is plenty of raptor swapped 5.0L F150s out there doing their thing.
they seem to be having fun.
probably a gearing change would help, but honestly a 5.0 without a power adder is going to be a downgrade to the 3.5HO in the power/torque department if you are planning an engine swap..
supercharged 5.0L is working for a lot of people in swaps

Ford isnt going to do the dark horse engine in the raptor, thats 100%
I would be interested in a coyote Raptor but would immediately supercharge it. But, it’s never going to happen, ever.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Not sure why it’s such a debate.
It’s not a debate, discussion, argument or conversation. It’s trolling and too many of us are wasting time and effort in here
200.gif
You don’t really think @someday or @MORaptor1 actually want to engage in a productive discussion about the merits of a particular power plant choice? Neither do I.
Because they’re just shīt stirring.

It does suck because n00bs might come here and fall for this, but there’s enough legit posts to drown out this shīt show.

yeah, FRF circa 2017 called, and they want their trolls back.

But, and here’s the thing: We all have to be willing to accept we don’t know everything. All of us - you, me, @FordTechOne and all the long time FRF.
When you commented about the turbo lag I was skeptical, but damn if wasn’t true.

Like I said above, two things aren’t necessarily mutually exclusive; a 7.3 lighter weight and more suited to a high performance off road truck as opposed to a super duty.

I would be interested in a coyote Raptor but would immediately supercharge it. But, it’s never going to happen, ever.
Honestly... if it was built as a strong, pushrod, naturally aspirated v8, a hipo 7.3 could put down enough power and torque to be a good performer, but the 5.0 would have the same problem that, say, the 5.2 flat plane would have - all it’s power is way too high in the power band for a truck and to make it a better fit for a truck, they would need to move that torque down lower in the power band and in the process they’d sacrifice the qualities of the Coyote that make it great in the Mustang.

18RaptorFox

Reaction score
Ford should have given the Coyote treatment to the old 6.2L. That would have been the supreme Raptor engine with 500+ HP and TQ. I mean if we want to talk about a good truck engine the old 6.2L V8 dog walks both the Coyote and HO EcoBoost on low end torque anywhere below 2,500 rpm. 6.2 was just saddled in a heavy chassis with an old transmission that has less TQ multiplication in 1st and 2nd. Looking at Fords self reported dyno graphs at 1,500 rpm the 6.2 is making 100 lb ft more than the HO 3.5 at the crank. That’s a huge off idle spread in favor of cubic inches.

Last edited: