GEN 2 to GEN 1, thoughts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What year range of the Gen-2s are subject to the cam phaser issue? Everyone I’ve met has been plagued with it and/or engine replacement every ~30k miles. No matter how much tech and marginal horsepower improvement, I’d take the solid reliability of the 6.2L and overall simplicity of the truck that’ll get me to where I’m going and back all the time. Too much tech and uncle Murphy will always cause a random sensor to wreak havoc.

haha you Ford fanboys love talking bout that engine like it’s some bulletproof Honda 4 banger or a proper LS/LTx - which it isn’t.
The cam phaser “issue” is more of a nuisance- the 3.5 ecoboost family of engines has been used & proven in a HELL of a lot more applications (aside from F150- fleet vehicles & cop cars etc) I had cam phaser noise on my 2018 starter @ 30k Miles, but nobody’s getting motor replacements for this issue- *** you talking bout? Didn’t stop me from buying another 2020 gen2 either.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
haha you Ford fanboys love talking bout that engine like it’s some bulletproof Honda 4 banger or a proper LS/LTx - which it isn’t.
The cam phaser “issue” is more of a nuisance- the 3.5 ecoboost family of engines has been used & proven in a HELL of a lot more applications (aside from F150- fleet vehicles & cop cars etc) I had cam phaser noise on my 2018 starter @ 30k Miles, but nobody’s getting motor replacements for this issue- *** you talking bout? Didn’t stop me from buying another 2020 gen2 either.
Was that 6.2 used in Super Duty applications as well for a little while? The 6.2 use seemed limited overall. Not knocking it but it was limited by far compared to the eco boost.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Was that 6.2 used in Super Duty applications as well for a little while? The 6.2 use seemed limited overall. Not knocking it but it was limited by far compared to the eco boost.
Yes, it’s been the Super Duty base engine from 2011-2022. It’s a workhorse, but not a high performance engine.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I go through my closet ever six months because I like to refresh certain polos. I could never stand to keep the same old interior on a vehicle from a previous generation.

I can't stand slow laptops, so as soon my my **** gets raggedy and slow, I donate it or have my Mac guru rebuild it. Hate old, slow, worn ****.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I go through my closet ever six months because I like to refresh certain polos. I could never stand to keep the same old interior on a vehicle from a previous generation.

I can't stand slow laptops, so as soon my my **** gets raggedy and slow, I donate it or have my Mac guru rebuild it. Hate old, slow, worn ****.
I get some of this, & this is a lil ironic considering I was just pseudo bashing the gen1/6.2 - BUT in terms of being a potential hobby/collector vehicle I still think the Gen1 w/ the 6.2 is a good platform for that

it’s nice to have the latest & greatest but there’s something to be said about getting into a vehicle & having it take you back to a certain era/time in your life. There’s some nostalgia to that, & I for one try to avoid “tech for techs sake” as I put it in my new DD vehicles (hence why I went 801a switchblade key on both my 18 & ‘20 Raptors)

I enjoy getting in my C5Z & rowing the gears & seeing the analog tach spin up & hearing all the road noise & pebbles hitting the wheel Wells & being able to work on most any part of it etc

I could see gen1 Raptors going the same route that the 90s bronco is now,

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I get some of this, & this is a lil ironic considering I was just pseudo bashing the gen1/6.2 - BUT in terms of being a potential hobby/collector vehicle I still think the Gen1 w/ the 6.2 is a good platform for that

it’s nice to have the latest & greatest but there’s something to be said about getting into a vehicle & having it take you back to a certain era/time in your life. There’s some nostalgia to that, & I for one try to avoid “tech for techs sake” as I put it in my new DD vehicles (hence why I went 801a switchblade key on both my 18 & ‘20 Raptors)

I enjoy getting in my C5Z & rowing the gears & seeing the analog tach spin up & hearing all the road noise & pebbles hitting the wheel Wells & being able to work on most any part of it etc

I could see gen1 Raptors going the same route that the 90s bronco is now,

Hey yeah and agree with you there. This raptor was the first of its kind, I think... Right? lol

Richard Hinsley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have not seen any data that supports such claims. All we know is Gen 2 outsold Gen 1 by a very large margin. The more vehicles that are produced, the more likely you are to see complaints on forums.

Vehicles can be deemed “lemons” for any number of reasons. It is based on repair attempts and days out of service, not whether there is actually something wrong with the vehicle. Plenty of dealers have thrown parts at a “concern” that is a vehicle characteristic or misdiagnosed the concern entirely, causing a buyback. When that happens, the vehicle is labeled as such on the title in most states.
Ford took a big hit on reliability in general. I personally know 2 people who had lemons with a 17 and 19 Gen2.

KODIAK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford took a big hit on reliability in general. I personally know 2 people who had lemons with a 17 and 19 Gen2.
They continue to try to improve though, tech, HP, TQ, gas mileage, etc. There's bound to be things that don't go as planned. It's easy to be "reliable" if you don't change anything for 14 years. I don't know if Ford has more buybacks than any other brand, probably because I don't follow the other ones.