GEN 2 to GEN 1, thoughts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If the truck is your daily, I would have think stepping back to a Gen 1 wouldn’t be easy. At least you got to try for yourself. Ain’t any Raptor going to sit on a lot long in FL. Can’t find any trucks for that matter.

ayoustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As someone who went from Gen 1 to Gen 2, I have zero regrets and think you made the right choice. I loved the memories I made with my Gen 1 but that's about all I miss besides slightly easier oil changes. The V8 was nice but I like hearing turbos spool more.

My new truck has more useful tech, makes better power and torque, gets fuel economy I could only dream of with my old truck, wasn't owned by a moron before me, doesn't have rust on the cab corners (and never will), rides better, and some of the maintenance is easier; changing 16 spark plugs (specifically the exhaust plugs) on the Gen 1 is a nuisance of a job for something that should be pretty easy.

flynford

Reaction score
What year range of the Gen-2s are subject to the cam phaser issue? Everyone I’ve met has been plagued with it and/or engine replacement every ~30k miles. No matter how much tech and marginal horsepower improvement, I’d take the solid reliability of the 6.2L and overall simplicity of the truck that’ll get me to where I’m going and back all the time. Too much tech and uncle Murphy will always cause a random sensor to wreak havoc.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What year range of the Gen-2s are subject to the cam phaser issue? Everyone I’ve met has been plagued with it and/or engine replacement every ~30k miles.
I don't know anyone that's had the issue, aside from reading about it on the forums. I've owned 2 Ecoboost F150s and 2 Gen2 Raptors and haven't had cam phaser problems on any of them, nor have any of my friends. It seems more widespread on the forums than in my circle.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What year range of the Gen-2s are subject to the cam phaser issue? Everyone I’ve met has been plagued with it and/or engine replacement every ~30k miles. No matter how much tech and marginal horsepower improvement, I’d take the solid reliability of the 6.2L and overall simplicity of the truck that’ll get me to where I’m going and back all the time. Too much tech and uncle Murphy will always cause a random sensor to wreak havoc.
The cam phaser issue is just a noise on cold start, not a reliability issue. It does not require engine replacement, not sure where you’re pulling that nonsense from. You’re clearly exaggerating when you claim “everyone you’ve met” has had the issue; the large majority are not defective. The phasers were updated in mid 2018 and completely redesigned in 10/19 to eliminate the possibility of the failure mode. There is a TSB and warranty extension for those that are affected.

The 3.5 H.O. is hardly a “mild” horsepower improvement; the trucks are almost 3 seconds faster 0-60 than the 6.2. That is a massive improvement.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't know anyone that's had the issue, aside from reading about it on the forums. I've owned 2 Ecoboost F150s and 2 Gen2 Raptors and haven't had cam phaser problems on any of them, nor have any of my friends. It seems more widespread on the forums than in my circle.
None here and I know several guys locally with Raptors and haven’t heard of issues. Not gonna say it’s not happening to people, but this forum is a collection site for people that get issues. While it can seem like many have developed the problem, this still may be a small fraction of the total number of trucks produced.

pbtjrlmrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a deposit down on a 2013 SCREW 801A with 35k miles and trade-in offer from the same dealer for my 2018 SCREW 802A with 31k miles (only option missing is the graphics) at my original purchase price of $67k. I'm walking away with 20k+ check and returning my truck to stock to sell the parts as part of the agreement. They are repainting the 2013 bumpers prior to sale so I haven't signed yet. Question is for those of you who have owned both GEN1 and GEN2, how many would take the deal or would you stay with the GEN 2/GEN1 and reason? Just curious to see the responses. Thanks
No and just no. If I needed the 20k desperately then yes but otherwise there are way more than 20k in stock upgrades between the Gen1 and Gen2. 47k for a used truck is a lot and I understand that Gen1 raptors carry a premium but still...if it's a bad **** truck you want then the Gen2 is that truck. If it's money in your pocket then the Gen1 is a decent compromise I guess. If you had a list of every feature a truck like the Raptor offers you are losing on every single line item except exhaust note and perhaps looks(subjective)

Richard Hinsley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've always wanted a Raptor since the debuted. I have a 10 6.2 SCAB and coming from 70s F150s and 250s it's enough tech for me. I haven't driven a Gen2 but with all the reliability issues and lemons I'll get a Gen3 and skip the 2.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've always wanted a Raptor since the debuted. I have a 10 6.2 SCAB and coming from 70s F150s and 250s it's enough tech for me. I haven't driven a Gen2 but with all the reliability issues and lemons I'll get a Gen3 and skip the 2.
Issues and lemons being common with Gen 2’s? Probably no more or maybe less than with most of Gen’s of trucks. You get to hear about complaints quite often if you follow a forum. It’s where many come to vent. Gen 3 unfortunately will probably have its common share of issues. When so many vehicles are mass produced, some will have particular failures. Yes we do hope Ford fixes any known issues on the outgoing gen, but once again there is new tech in the new Gen.

@FordTechOne is there any substantial data that’s been collected and released by anyone in this space to document such a widespread failure with the Gen 2? Real world I don’t hear of it other than what we can read about here.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Issues and lemons being common with Gen 2’s? Probably no more or maybe less than with most of Gen’s of trucks. You get to hear about complaints quite often if you follow a forum. It’s where many come to vent. Gen 3 unfortunately will probably have its common share of issues. When so many vehicles are mass produced, some will have particular failures. Yes we do hope Ford fixes any known issues on the outgoing gen, but once again there is new tech in the new Gen.

@FordTechOne is there any substantial data that’s been collected and released by anyone in this space to document such a widespread failure with the Gen 2? Real world I don’t hear of it other than what we can read about here.
I have not seen any data that supports such claims. All we know is Gen 2 outsold Gen 1 by a very large margin. The more vehicles that are produced, the more likely you are to see complaints on forums.

Vehicles can be deemed “lemons” for any number of reasons. It is based on repair attempts and days out of service, not whether there is actually something wrong with the vehicle. Plenty of dealers have thrown parts at a “concern” that is a vehicle characteristic or misdiagnosed the concern entirely, causing a buyback. When that happens, the vehicle is labeled as such on the title in most states.