GEN 2 to GEN 1, thoughts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dude, I'm clearly not worked up anywhere near where you're at; in fact, not at all as my claims aren't baseless. It comes from 1st hand conversations over the years. Let's agree to disagree.
You are making broad assertions based on 2nd hand information without any evidence or data to back them up. Clearly you have a bias against the G2; that much was obvious from your first post. There are no pattern issues of “turbo failures” or “no starts”; those claims are simply ridiculous.

Let’s agree to provide members with factual information, not rumors and 2nd hand hearsay.

PorterW1111

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Looks like kidor joined the forums and is here with friends to bash the Gen 2 after his failed Lemon Lawsuit.
well i think we can all agree there has a been many more posts about gen2 issues vs gen1... now whether thats due to just volume difference is subjective but there is a lot of discussion around owners having issues with the gen2

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i think we can all agree there has a been many more posts about gen2 issues vs gen1... now whether thats due to just volume difference is subjective but there is a lot of discussion around owners having issues with the gen2
I'm just poking some fun. From my limited and anecdotal experience, the 3.5 eco boost has been a great engine. I'm good friends with my dealer owner, and the 3.5HO/ Raptor do not represent a large percentage of their service issues ( again volume comes into play). I don't have any special insight here, I just trust the engineering behind the Gen2 given the volume of production/support to the limited production the Gen 1. Neither truck is perfect, but I vote with my wallet, by driving a Gen 2. Until the Gen 3 has been vetted through 2 model years to get the kinks worked out. I'm sure all 3 trucks are great vehicles, and far surpass any sort of performance demand I will ever push the truck to.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It’s all relative. The Gen 2 outsold the Gen 1 by a wide margin, therefore the volume is higher. That is not conclusive of more issues with Gen 2. The common concerns have all been resolved with TSBs. Just like the TSB for the fuel pump fuse on Gen 1s.

moog5050

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I loved my 2012 and it was problem free. So far I love my 2019 even more. Lots more power (tuned) and tech. Both are great trucks.

flynford

Reaction score
You are making broad assertions based on 2nd hand information without any evidence or data to back them up. Clearly you have a bias against the G2; that much was obvious from your first post. There are no pattern issues of “turbo failures” or “no starts”; those claims are simply ridiculous.

Let’s agree to provide members with factual information, not rumors and 2nd hand hearsay.
Not going to bother providing you and others with 'factual' information as I suspect you'd disregard it anyway. I just know that when/if Ford makes a naturally aspirated high-HP truck, I may just get one; for which, I've seen 1st-hand and heard 2nd hand from the owners themselves; no less, seen 1st hand the carnage in the desert to know I won't bother with a Gen-2/3 turbo'd motor. Ford bastardized the Raptor to cater to popularity of the Gen-1s when they put out the Gen-2s. More 4-door trucks were sold in the first couple/few years then Gen-1s all-together (FordTechOne: Got fact check for all of us) which pulled Ford out of near bankruptcy.
No bias against the Gen-2/3 for a weekend warrior truck, just won't go on longer off-roading trips alone; otherwise, it's a Ford and wouldn't go at it in any other truck brand. If my Gen-1 wasn't in-service for whatever reason and needed a newer truck. I'd get one but for now won't need one for a very-very long time.

Just like the awesome builds with just about any make of truck but the ones that go at it the fastest & longest without issue in the whoops are trucks with a TTB front suspension. Yeah, old technology but still the best in the dirt. See the similarity in our discussion here? Sure Ford has sold more trucks with A-arm suspension, unit bearing, and etc components; however, if you build the front of a TTB Truck properly, it will outlast any front suspension out there. F'ing Ford designed in planned obsolescence in the front wheel bearings the last couple decades of the manual or automatic hubs. Tie-rod design also lended itself to cause drivability issues. Slight hack makes the bearing stay tight and equal-length steering makes for trouble free experience for many years to come. But that is a whole another discussion outside of scope of this thread.

ayoustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's funny, because I've almost been stranded by my Gen 1 multiple times (didn't do the fuse 27 fix).

17,000 miles in 8 months on my Gen 2 and not one single hiccup.

At the end of the day people will justify the means to their end by whatever reasons they can, regardless of how legitimate or not they may actually be. If you like your truck over another there's nothing wrong with that. Different strokes for different folks.