GEN 2 to GEN 1, thoughts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PorterW1111

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think you’ll also notice/miss the tech, feel, finish, and style of the gen2 interior vs the gen1.

I def agree on a whipple.

SVTTrooper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a deposit down on a 2013 SCREW 801A with 35k miles and trade-in offer from the same dealer for my 2018 SCREW 802A with 31k miles (only option missing is the graphics) at my original purchase price of $67k. I'm walking away with 20k+ check and returning my truck to stock to sell the parts as part of the agreement. They are repainting the 2013 bumpers prior to sale so I haven't signed yet. Question is for those of you who have owned both GEN1 and GEN2, how many would take the deal or would you stay with the GEN 2/GEN1 and reason? Just curious to see the responses. Thanks

I've owned both and honestly it's a toss up. I constantly see people posting, "blah blah Gen 2 is better" or "V8 or nothing" from Gen 1 guys.. both are great in their own right.

I don't really read many posts on the Gen 2 section to know what you really do with your truck, so I can't say one way or another what you should do.. What I can do is give you my view between the 2. There are days I miss my Gen 2 for it's refinement.. above all else that's what I liked the most. the Gen 1 just isn't refined at all IMO lol.. which isnt bad, it's just an observation that's really apparent once you've driven both. What I found driving my Gen 1 was I just missed having Sync 3.. which I ordered to replace the junk Sync 2 unit, that gave me the refinement I wanted above all else. My Gen 2 never made any trips feel special to me, that can't be said for my Gen 1. every time I start it, mash the peddle and go wheeling it brings out the pure raw feeling that was the same as when I first drove one back in 2011. So to me that's what never gets old.. it's not the sound, or that it's a V8.. it's just how the truck after 10 years delivers the exact same fun as I remember.

The great thing with this deal is you get an awesome truck, plus your aftermarket parts AND 20k, hard to say no to that! throw 3.0s, deavers, sync 3 and a front bumper and you'll be having a riot.

this probably didn't help you very much lol.. but it's my take.

realjones88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stock vs Stock it's no contest. If your plan is to dump $20K into a whipple and other goodies on the gen 1 then yeah I do think in the end you'll like that truck more.

Maranello055

Reaction score
I've owned both... I would take the Gen 2 over the Gen 1 any day of the week. THE ONLY THING I MISS ABOUT THE GEN 1 is the Exhaust note with the Corsa Extreme I had on it. That sound was just amazing. My Gen 2 with the AWE exhaust is loud... but more like a loud Hoover Vacuum! lol! Everything else is just better with the Gen 2.

traxem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everyone is talking about him “getting 20k”. What about the $47k (plus tax) that he’s losing? Honestly, I love the Gen 2. It can tow my boat with 4 adults with ease (stock). And on some days, it can run around in the dirt. Nothing wrong with a Gen 1, but you’re basically paying $47k for it plus tax. Just keep that in mind.

Gotlag1789

Reaction score
Meh to all of the above saying the gen 1 is underwhelming haha.

I made the switch from a first time raptor owner of a gen 2 to a gen 1 simply because I got an amazing deal on the trade. Literally the same situation you’re in. I don’t miss the gen 2 at all. I had previously been a big car guy, loved the speed of the gen 2. At the end of the day though, it’s a truck, not a car haha. Depends on what you want to do with it. There’s also a level of not caring as much about it for me, I use the truck everywhere, the sandy plains to the super thick hunting spots. Love the gen 1.

Only downside is no one has suspension available for it haha.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So you’re downgrading to an older, slower, less efficient, outdated vehicle just to try and pocket some money? You may get back $20k, but you’re also getting $20k+ less vehicle. Which means that unless you keep it forever, it’s worth $20k+ less when you go to sell/trade it in.

Subjectively the Gen 2 is the better truck in every aspect. Unless you’re desperate for the money, I can’t see any reason to make that switch, especially if it’s a daily driver.

RaptorFarmer

Reaction score
I currently own a gen 1 and am in the process of trading up to a gen 3. Part of the reason is because of the miles on my current truck and some rust issues on it. If I was in your position, I would do it if the technology from the gen 2 didn't matter to you. I would love to own a low-mileage gen 1 again in the future but for business purposes and daily driving, the gen 3 is definitely a step up for me. Much more slugish than the new raptors, but I love how it drives. I don't think you can beat the rugged reliability of the 6.2 gen 1 though, especially if it has been properly maintained.