GEN 2 to GEN 1, thoughts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ford bastardized the Raptor to cater to popularity of the Gen-1s when they put out the Gen-2s.
This is where you lose all credibility. The Gen 2 outperforms he Gen 1 both on road and in the Baja; you’re “bastadization” claim is comical at best. In fact, the Gen 2 completed the Baja 1000 in the stock full class competition.

flynford

Reaction score
They also raced the Gen-1 as well. When I say basterized, to my point which you seemingly left-out is that they built tons of 4-doors to cater to the masses who will never race nor use their trucks as intended. They raced a Super-cab not the 4-door. Ford has carried on this basterdization further now with the Bronco with this racing aspect for their marketing. They'll say how many of the parts are OEM 'inspired' but the Gen-2 & 1 race truck had more OEM actual parts than the Bronco they used on its debut SCORE race.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
They also raced the Gen-1 as well. When I say basterized, to my point which you seemingly left-out is that they built tons of 4-doors to cater to the masses who will never race nor use their trucks as intended. They raced a Super-cab not the 4-door. Ford has carried on this basterdization further now with the Bronco with this racing aspect for their marketing. They'll say how many of the parts are OEM 'inspired' but the Gen-2 & 1 race truck had more OEM actual parts than the Bronco they used on its debut.

So one of the reasons the Gen 1 is better than the Gen 2 Raptor is because Ford sold more Gen 2 SCREWS than they did all Gen 1s? Are you saying that the public shouldn't have bought all those SCREWs or that Ford should have limited the number of SCREWs in order to keep the Raptor more pure...or something to that effect? I can see why the sense of exclusivity might make Gen 1 more appealing to someone over Gen 2, but has nothing to do with performance and reliability. If you wanted a SCAB, you could get a SCAB. Either Gen.

Maybe I'm missing the point here. Are you implying that because the Gen 2 had more appeal to the general public, whether SCREW or SCAB, they had to have made concessions and it must not perform or be as reliable as the Gen 1? While although that's possible, not conclusive, and certainly wouldn't trump actual performance and reliability data.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Seems like a qualifier for better would eliminate some of misunderstandings that occur through reading text. Such as: “subjectively better” or “objectively better”

ViperMike

Reaction score
Started with a 2013 Gen 1, sold it for a new 2018 Gen 2, sold it and went back to a gen 1. I loved my gen 2, but was plagued with a lot of issues (transfer case, 2 starters, flywheel, sunroof, front hub, leaking oil line to turbo, cracked intake manifold, and multiplle check valves). My gen 1 feels and looks so **** and so much more exclusive. I've had no issues what so ever and currently at 110k milage. Also gen 1's have already taken the depreciation hit and are curving back up in value.

Attachments

• 20210623_201524.jpg
    20210623_201524.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 11

tooloud10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Started with a 2013 Gen 1, sold it for a new 2018 Gen 2, sold it and went back to a gen 1. I loved my gen 2, but was plagued with a lot of issues (transfer case, 2 starters, flywheel, sunroof, front hub, leaking oil line to turbo, cracked intake manifold, and multiplle check valves). My gen 1 feels and looks so **** and so much more exclusive. I've had no issues what so ever and currently at 110k milage. Also gen 1's have already taken the depreciation hit and are curving back up in value.
Why would I care which generation is more 'exclusive'? I'm not even sure what that means.

Also, every Raptor ever made is worth more than it was last year at this time--that isn't unique to the gen 1, or nearly any used car on the market right now.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Why would I care which generation is more 'exclusive'? I'm not even sure what that means.

Also, every Raptor ever made is worth more than it was last year at this time--that isn't unique to the gen 1, or nearly any used car on the market right now.
Exactly. It’s the market; it’s not like Gen 1’s are not the only vehicle that has had values increase lol.

As far as “exclusivity”...it’s an F-150. These are trucks that are meant to be used, not collector items. The only thing more “exclusive” about Gen 1 is that they made less of them...which is irrelevant because it was never a limited production vehicle.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Those are rare issues except for the sun roof, hub and check valve and those are just as prone to have issues on a Gen1.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Those are rare issues except for the sun roof, hub and check valve and those are just as prone to have issues on a Gen1.
Agreed. Never heard of a cracked intake manifold. And if you’re throwing check valves at the IWE system, you’re clearly misdiagnosing the issue.