GEN 2: Need Help: Should I buy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RubyDaCherry

Reaction score
Hey Guys - Looking at purchasing a new truck, well, new to me. It's a 2017 Manufacture BuyBack with 48k miles for $42K private sell. Loaded minus the graphics. Still has Ford Factory 60k Mile Warranty. Also comes with 3rd party 100K transferable warranty.

Originally from California. Has had a new transmission put in at 34k and cam phasers done. However, the trans is shifting rough now but according to Ford it is in spec. They recalibrated the TCM and say it's shifting is rough due to it being a Raptor. The Cam Phasers are rattling again upon cold start but that's it. It's still drive-able. Wondering if I should take the risk with it being under warranty still and perhaps getting an MPT Tune to smooth out the transmission.

Should I pull the trigger or wait for a better one to show up?

Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
RubyDaCherry

RubyDaCherry

Reaction score
I agree, there is significant warranty left unless it was somehow voided by the truck being a buyback.

According to the FordPass app and the Oasis report it has the factory 5yr 60k powertrain warranty. The 100K AAGI warranty covers 95% of the truck with the exception of minor things like brakes, wipers, aftermarket add-ons, etc. But it's pretty much a mechanical and electrical warranty as well. It's their Ultimate Plus package.

Joe12345

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t buy that truck, it sounds like it’ll become your headache instead of someone else’s. My transmission doesn’t shift roughly, it’s actually very smooth. I think they’re selling you a load of bs.

Joe12345

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d also add that the guys here that have had their trucks bought back by Ford would probably tell you to run away as fast as you can. That thing was dumped for a reason.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d also add that the guys here that have had their trucks bought back by Ford would probably tell you to run away as fast as you can. That thing was dumped for a reason.
correct. mention a ford buyback and many people will say exactly what you said. i would be worried after the warranty expires, then its your problem. i have 191k miles on my truck and except for stuff i broke offroading, everything is perfect still. but i guess we need to know the reason for the buyback.

OP
OP
RubyDaCherry

RubyDaCherry

Reaction score
I wouldn’t buy that truck, it sounds like it’ll become your headache instead of someone else’s. My transmission doesn’t shift roughly, it’s actually very smooth. I think they’re selling you a load of bs.

I've taken that into consideration, you definitely mention some good points! But - with the factory warranty remaining for another 12K and the AAGI for another 52K, why not? It's a great price, it's under warranty and it's really clean. 9/10 I'd say. I saw one at the Dealership with around 65k listed for $47,000, also a Manufacture BuyBack.

I'm willing to hope that the transmission could be looked at by another dealer and diagnosed properly. If not, then rebuild it since it's under warranty. Throw a modest MPT tune on there and hope all goes well.

OP
OP
RubyDaCherry

RubyDaCherry

Reaction score
correct. mention a ford buyback and many people will say exactly what you said. i would be worried after the warranty expires, then its your problem. i have 191k miles on my truck and except for stuff i broke offroading, everything is perfect still. but i guess we need to know the reason for the buyback.
the reason for the buyback was an oil leak which ford then fixed in California, according to the Oasis.