GEN 2: Need Help: Should I buy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
RubyDaCherry

RubyDaCherry

Reaction score
correct. mention a ford buyback and many people will say exactly what you said. i would be worried after the warranty expires, then its your problem. i have 191k miles on my truck and except for stuff i broke offroading, everything is perfect still. but i guess we need to know the reason for the buyback.

Wow you have 191k on your Gen 2?

Joe12345

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I certainly understand the price appeal of these two trucks you’re looking at, but I would caution you on tuning something you suspect may already be an issue.

As to the Oasis report, all of these things are just as accurate as Carfax. It’s what the dealer reports, not what actually happens. I once traded in a Jeep that I did some hefty body damage to over the course of its life off-road. Once it made it back to the dealers lot with fresh body work and shiny paint, I looked up the carfax and giggled at the 3 “Oil changes” that were performed on it over the course of the two weeks they were fixing it up for sale.

An oil leak alone usually isn’t cause enough for Ford to buy back a $70k truck, there’s more likely to be a major recurring problem or two that just didn’t get listed as the main culprit.

Personally, I’d look for a well cared for, used truck in this price range.

@FordTechOne Maybe you can shine some light on this and point us all in the right direction as to whether or not a bought back truck is a safe buy?

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In California the dealers seem to encourage doing buybacks because they have zero liability with the manufacturer and they get to sell another car. There’s businesses in Arizona that specialize in reselling California buyback cars. My brother bought one that was bought back in California for wind noise it was perfect for the entire time he owned it.

OP
OP
RubyDaCherry

RubyDaCherry

Reaction score
In California the dealers seem to encourage doing buybacks because they have zero liability with the manufacturer and they get to sell another car. There’s businesses in Arizona that specialize in reselling California buyback cars. My brother bought one that was bought back in California for wind noise it was perfect for the entire time he owned it.

Yep - From my understanding buybacks happen often in California.

OP
OP
RubyDaCherry

RubyDaCherry

Reaction score
I certainly understand the price appeal of these two trucks you’re looking at, but I would caution you on tuning something you suspect may already be an issue.

As to the Oasis report, all of these things are just as accurate as Carfax. It’s what the dealer reports, not what actually happens. I once traded in a Jeep that I did some hefty body damage to over the course of its life off-road. Once it made it back to the dealers lot with fresh body work and shiny paint, I looked up the carfax and giggled at the 3 “Oil changes” that were performed on it over the course of the two weeks they were fixing it up for sale.

An oil leak alone usually isn’t cause enough for Ford to buy back a $70k truck, there’s more likely to be a major recurring problem or two that just didn’t get listed as the main culprit.

Personally, I’d look for a well cared for, used truck in this price range.

@FordTechOne Maybe you can shine some light on this and point us all in the right direction as to whether or not a bought back truck is a safe buy?

Well, fortunately I have both the Carfax and Oasis. I wouldn't tune it until I took it to Ford and had them actually fix it, that's for sure. As Bronco said, buybacks in California are typically of the norm. I've seen buybacks for a squeaky seatbelt before. I would love to but seems as if the price is going up on these trucks. The same exact one color-wise minus the sunroof and 802a package, with 72k miles sold for $49,000. Wasn't as clean as this one either.

I would love if FordTechOne could shed some light on this situation.

Rollofire

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RUN Forrest RUN , sounds like your trying to justify the purchase! I never want to buy anything that I feel that way about by asking others if its a good idea. Someone Dumped that truck for a reason, and ask yourself if it seems in anyway possible
that a oil leak that was fixed is that reason. So the correct answer is probably NO, RUNNNN FAST Forrest RUN

OP
OP
RubyDaCherry

RubyDaCherry

Reaction score
RUN Forrest RUN , sounds like your trying to justify the purchase! I never want to buy anything that I feel that way about by asking others if its a good idea. Someone Dumped that truck for a reason, and ask yourself if it seems in anyway possible
that a oil leak that was fixed is that reason. So the correct answer is probably NO, RUNNNN FAST Forrest RUN

I hear you - The only thing justifying the purchase is the fact that it's under 2 different warranties and still covered, so makes it better. Not to mention the truck is very clean. Yes - the oil leak was the reason for the buy-back in California(more lenient on buybacks) Leaking from the front cover and oil pan. That was fixed at 29k miles. The current owner then bought it from a Ford Factory auto auction. The price, how clean the truck is and the fact that it has 2 warranties is the only thing keeping me intrigued.

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I seem to have a habit of purchasing buybacks. My current 2018 Raptor was a Ford RAV but had similar warranties when I purchased. I also got a sweetheart deal And saved about $10k.
I immediately (Intentionally) had a bunch of warranty work done on it including the most common F150/Raptor failures - cam phasers and IWE failure.
Now the truck runs great and looks like new, and I saved about $10k on the purchase.
I kind of feel like all Raptors may eventually need these fixes, very common issues.
I have some of the same common complaints others on FRF have (smelly A/C for one). But I love the truck.
Here’s what you need to consider... are you a patient person or do you freak on every noise? Raptors are high performance vehicles. Great performance, but also a lot can go wrong. Owning a RAV Raptor can make you a bit paranoid - I was at first. I am very happy with my purchase. I would definitely do it again.

OP
OP
RubyDaCherry

RubyDaCherry

Reaction score
Thanks for commenting! I'm glad to see someone that has been through the buyback game saw this thread and decided to comment! I would save around that as well, if not more, compared to similar raptors with the same miles/features near me.

I would do the same - immediately get warranty work done on it. Glad to hear your'e enjoying it just as much and saved some cash to boot! I agree, at some point, they will all need some work done at some point no matter how big or small, especially the common issues.

To answer your question - I am a patient person, I can afford to set it in the shop as I have other vehicles for different means. When I buy a raptor it won't be a daily driver, I will only take it out when I want to! No, every noise doesn't cause me to freak. I'm driving a 2006 f150 and the driver's window hasn't rolled down in over 2yrs, doesn't bug me lol. I also have a 2002 Camry that I use for daily driving because 30mpg is nice!

What was the reason for the buyback on yours?

Feel free to reply or pm.

Thanks!