Gen 1 with 4 Auto (TOD)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BalanBro

Reaction score
This is a really interesting modification. My biggest issue with the Raptor transfer case is that I need it most when accelerating while making a turn. Can't use 4H because of binding, and accelerating in 2H goes nowhere if the road is even slightly damp. Had several "oh shit!" moments trying to turn with traffic coming up behind me and the truck just struggling for traction.

Do you know if the low range ratio on the TOD is the same, or was it lowered on the Raptor TC? Not that I ever really use it to be honest, but would be good to know the effects with the larger tires we have compared to Lariats/Platinums.

trick76cj5

Reaction score
I believe the low range is the same.

I just purchased all the parts to make this swap on my 2014, I will post back once completed since i haven't seen a confirmation of this install on a raptor. I'm 99% sure it will work, but i'll let everyone know for sure.

Justbob

Reaction score
I was wondering something similar in the sense, will the TOD kick in while making that turn, engage the front axle and immediately begin binding ? I don’t see an issue in a straight line but could beat the crap out of the front end if you left it in TOD mode a lot (could engage it just by spinning the the right rear on dry pavement).

trick76cj5

Reaction score
I owned a gen 2 for a while, the 4 auto was nice.

binding in 4wd comes from the different distances travelled by the tires as you move. On soft surfaces, no big deal, the tires slip and you don't notice it. On high traction surfaces, this difference causes the driveline to bind up until the internal stresses are high enough to cause a wheel to slip on that much sticker surface.

In 4 auto, the transfer case is basically like a limited slip differential. It provides torque to both axles, but allows the clutches to slip as there is differences in wheel travel distance . . . eliminates the binding.

When switched into 4 high, with the "high lock" transfer case, it becomes like a spooled differential as opposed to a limited slip, this is what causes the driveline bind.

4High on dry pavement . . . bad

4 Auto on dry pavement . . . do it all day long, that's what its for

(Don't flame me for an overly simplified explanation, I understand there are many nuances within my response . . . but nobody wants to read a 3 page post with all the science and math equations :-D )

In the same regard, in very low traction situations, the auto function somewhat limits your ability to apply torque to the wheel with the traction . . . and the clutches will overheat. So, in very low traction situations, 4 High for the win.

mashtastic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're generally not on the gas when you are in a turn, the TOD wouldn't/shouldn't have enough torque to engage the front axle. Also, the torsion in the front diff wouldn't engage since there is no torque from the driveshaft because the TOD is not engaged. Now I can say that if you are going into reverse and backing out with any kind of rear tire spin, that TOD will engage and you will know when it does...

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is a really interesting modification. My biggest issue with the Raptor transfer case is that I need it most when accelerating while making a turn. Can't use 4H because of binding, and accelerating in 2H goes nowhere if the road is even slightly damp. Had several "oh shit!" moments trying to turn with traffic coming up behind me and the truck just struggling for traction.

Do you know if the low range ratio on the TOD is the same, or was it lowered on the Raptor TC? Not that I ever really use it to be honest, but would be good to know the effects with the larger tires we have compared to Lariats/Platinums.
Water is a lubricant so 4H can be used when the roads are wet. I do it all the time when driving on the highway and my Raptor has the torsen front differential. Avoid slow speed sharp turns or you will get binding. The gen 1 has the strongest transfer case, no slipage that the ones with clutches do.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was wondering something similar in the sense, will the TOD kick in while making that turn, engage the front axle and immediately begin binding ? I don’t see an issue in a straight line but could beat the crap out of the front end if you left it in TOD mode a lot (could engage it just by spinning the the right rear on dry pavement).
That is why the Gen 2 TCCM receives networked data on steering angle, vehicle speed, throttle position, and powertrain torque. It then regulates the application of the clutch (wet, singular) accordingly.

The first generation TOD transfer cases could not handle the Raptor use case, which is why they were never used on Gen 1 Raptors. The 4HI-LOC transfer case was specifically designed between Ford and Borg Warner for the Gen 2 Raptor application.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Water is a lubricant so 4H can be used when the roads are wet. I do it all the time when driving on the highway and my Raptor has the torsen front differential. Avoid slow speed sharp turns or you will get binding. The gen 1 has the strongest transfer case, no slipage that the ones with clutches do.
Read your owner’s manual. 4H is for “use on snowy or icy roads or in off road conditions”. That doesn’t include wet roads, which don’t provide the necessary slip to prevent driveline binding.

“Gen 1 has the strongest transfer case” :facepalm: You make it up as you go, that’s comical.

Last edited:

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Read your owner’s manual. 4H is for “use on snowy or icy roads or in off road conditions”. That doesn’t include wet roads, which don’t provide the necessary slip to prevent driveline binding.

“Gen 1 has the strongest transfer case” :facepalm: You make it up as you go, that’s comical.
F670C57F-620D-46EA-8610-6B02AB78E975.jpeg

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Go look in the mirror. Every one of your posts is some made up BS trying defend your “precious” Gen 1.

1703017486846.jpeg