Gen 1 with 4 Auto (TOD)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SVTRap

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IT's been awhile, any updates?
Sorry, I do not. My wife has been dealing with high blood pressure during her pregnancy so thats been taking up my time as of late. I do have a 4x4 module for both the gen 1 and gen 2 TCs but I just need to get some time to install and check. Sorry for the delay on this one guys.

PunisherGT3

Reaction score
Sorry, I do not. My wife has been dealing with high blood pressure during her pregnancy so thats been taking up my time as of late. I do have a 4x4 module for both the gen 1 and gen 2 TCs but I just need to get some time to install and check. Sorry for the delay on this one guys.
Hope all is well. Been reading through this thread several times over the past few weeks.

Any updates on this project?

SVTRap

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hope all is well. Been reading through this thread several times over the past few weeks.

Any updates on this project?
Sorry I have not responded to this thread in a spell, life has been hectic with the little one and now another on the way...I ended up selling my Gen1 last year and jumping on over to a Gen2 as the deal was too good to pass up.

I still have the TCCM and spare TC if anyone wants to tackle this.

Last edited:

Irregular F150

its terrain good sir!
Reaction score
Sorry I have not responded to this thread in a spell, life has been hectic with the little one and now another on the way...I ended up selling my Gen1 last year and jumping on over to a Gen2 as the deal was too good to pass up.

I still have the TCM and spare TC if anyone wants to tackle this.

Thats sad to hear but good you’re still in a rap. Sending a pm on the parts etc.

yoopercharged

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interested in this one. Am I reading this correctly in that we only have to swap the transfer case, control module, and switch to enable 4A? No reprogramming needed?

OP
OP
Primez

Primez

Reaction score
Interested in this one. Am I reading this correctly in that we only have to swap the transfer case, control module, and switch to enable 4A? No reprogramming needed?
Yes, that’s exactly right. The caveat is that the 12-14 TOD TCs do not technically have a full “mechanical lock” in 4H. Everything is clutch driven, unlike the Gen 2 TOD which has clutch for 4A but a mechanical lock for 4H. 4H for the 12-14 TOD is just 100% clutch pressure. Important piece to note for the hard core crawlers and mudboggers who might push the clutch plates to their limits but otherwise, yes. Simple swap.

I’ve had this on my truck since the start of this thread. Still running this setup. Lots of towing, off-roading, pavement, snow, ice. Not a single issue.

Edit: also worth noting that 2010/2011 may not have the same swap compatibility. TOD was not released until 2012 and I’m not aware of anyone in an 10/11 attempting this. In theory, should still work. The 4x4 module makes the magic happen. Probably won’t have the same seamless dash integration but who knows?

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
damn..... shit got expensive. cheapest transfer case i found was on amazon for $316. the module is $110 and the switch for $40. so, looks to be a $500 mod now.