Gen 1 with 4 Auto (TOD)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm going to assume that the Gen 1 TOD case would only be a useful upgrade for those guys driving in the snow? From my experience I can't think of another situation where the 4A has been handy besides that. Only my 13 Limited the only time I used the 4A was in the snow anyways, otherwise if I knew I needed the 4WD to be engaged for sure I used the 4HI.

SVTRap

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to assume that the Gen 1 TOD case would only be a useful upgrade for those guys driving in the snow? From my experience I can't think of another situation where the 4A has been handy besides that. Only my 13 Limited the only time I used the 4A was in the snow anyways, otherwise if I knew I needed the 4WD to be engaged for sure I used the 4HI.
That is what appeals to me; more so when the snow half *** melts and you get areas of limited traction and then dry pavement. It would be nice to set it and forget it.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Actually, it would also be very good on really wet roads, not sure if most have experienced the torrential rains that we get on the west coast of BC or anywhere else in the "tropical" world but hydroplaning is real, even in a heavy beast like a raptor. Curious how it would work offroad in the desert or forest service roads.

SVTRap

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, it would also be very good on really wet roads, not sure if most have experienced the torrential rains that we get on the west coast of BC or anywhere else in the "tropical" world but hydroplaning is real, even in a heavy beast like a raptor. Curious how it would work offroad in the desert or forest service roads.
Happens every so often here in Montana and I have slid in the '13, it sucks. Last time it happened I was driving back from a job site in the company truck, damn dodge only has (2) speeds on the wipers it seems: Slow and Effing Slower. Made me miss the hyperfast wiper mode on my '79 F150.

Irregular F150

its terrain good sir!
Reaction score

4a is great in icy weather, snow, slush, loose dirt roads (like on our logging roads here). Its all i used in my tahoe unless it was a severe case.

Gotta go back through the thread and figure out what parts i need again, since theres been more updated info lol

SVTRap

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4a is great in icy weather, snow, slush, loose dirt roads (like on our logging roads here). Its all i used in my tahoe unless it was a severe case.

Gotta go back through the thread and figure out what parts i need again, since theres been more updated info lol
From page 1:
Also,

Here are the part numbers:

Switch: CL3Z-14B166-EA
Control Module: CL3Z-7E453-GD
Transfer Case: CL34-7A195-BA

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That is what appeals to me; more so when the snow half *** melts and you get areas of limited traction and then dry pavement. It would be nice to set it and forget it.

Yea, it was really useful for that I will admit. This truck won't be seeing snow, so I'm wondering if it'll be worth the "upgrade."

mashtastic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
each is their own... the upgrade "worth" is up to the driver. for some, it enhances the driving experience we've grown to love. high speed offroading with 4A, IMO- feels more stable and safer when you hit a soft spot in the open desert and the power doesnt "fall on its face" when traction control kicks in. which, traction control, in it's self could cause stability problems in some environments.