Gen 1 with 4 Auto (TOD)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SVTRap

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere that Ford was initially concerned about the off-road capability of the 4A transmission… though the Gen 2 raptors proved that sentiment to be false since the Gen 2 has higher hp/torque but still boasts 4A as a feature. ‍:shrug:
Do you or anyone else happen to know if the 4A/4 mode TOD transfer case carried over to the GEN 2 raptors? I'm going to complete this upgrade regardless however I was curious.

OP
OP
Primez

Primez

Reaction score
I read somewhere that Ford was initially concerned about the off-road capability of the 4A transmission… though the Gen 2 raptors proved that sentiment to be false since the Gen 2 has higher hp/torque but still boasts 4A as a feature. ‍:shrug:
I assume there are some minor differences but the TOD transfer case used in Gen 2 seems to be more or less the same as what was introduced in ~2012. Both have the same “torque on demand” functionality, 4A/4H/4L, look physically the same from the outside, and I believe are also still made by BorgWarner.

OP
OP
Primez

Primez

Reaction score
0A835862-9124-41A4-ADEF-8513BE76D87F.jpegOk, so svtrap’s question got me thinking a bit because I admittedly never checked to see if there were any major differences in t cases between engines. I have an EcoBoost engine and so does the Gen 2. So it stands to reason that this might be something Eco engines have but maybe the v8’s do not. But turns out that still doesn’t appear to be a limitation. I went to Tasca, pulled up a 2014 F150 Lariat with a 6.2 motor, and sure enough, the TOD transfer case shows compatibility for every F150 submodel.

SVTRap

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 331925Ok, so svtrap’s question got me thinking a bit because I admittedly never checked to see if there were any major differences in t cases between engines. I have an EcoBoost engine and so does the Gen 2. So it stands to reason that this might be something Eco engines have but maybe the v8’s do not. But turns out that still doesn’t appear to be a limitation. I went to Tasca, pulled up a 2014 F150 Lariat with a 6.2 motor, and sure enough, the TOD transfer case shows compatibility for every F150 submodel.
Well I will post to this thread and let everyone know; I ordered a fleabay unit and associated parts to perform the install on my 2013.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I assume there are some minor differences but the TOD transfer case used in Gen 2 seems to be more or less the same as what was introduced in ~2012. Both have the same “torque on demand” functionality, 4A/4H/4L, look physically the same from the outside, and I believe are also still made by BorgWarner.
The transfer case was redesigned for Gen 2 internally, hence the 4A capability.

OP
OP
Primez

Primez

Reaction score
The transfer case was redesigned for Gen 2 internally, hence the 4A capability.
I can’t imagine the redesign was very substantial because even on the Gen 2, ford recommends using 4A for highway driving, snow, etc and 4H for more intense off-roading. Apparently, part of baja mode is to lock into 4H and doesn’t let you use 4A. So word of caution for Gen 1 guys, make sure you lock into 4H before using off-road mode :)