Gen 1 or used Gen 2 Raptor but worried about Gen 2 price w/ future pricing with Gen 3 coming out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

allinon72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you dwell on what a future model will do to your resale value, you’re never going to be happy, because something new and exciting is always around the corner. In terms of resale in general, you can’t do better than a Raptor.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Buy a used Gen 2 with some amount of factory warranty remaining. If you do not plan to modify it, you can extend the warranty after you have had a chance to drive it to make sure you are going to keep it. The Gen 1 will sound better when accelerating, but that is really the only advantage over the Gen 2s.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Go test drive both Gen1 and Gen2.

I can tell you right now that Gen1 will feel dated.

As for Gen2 vs Gen3, if you need a car today get Gen2... If you want to wait, there also will be Gen4 which will be even better than Gen3.

It's the newer rubber parts and the electric power steering. Everything else is essentially the same. There's no doubt the EPAS makes the biggest difference.

I've driven 5 different models of Fords in both hydraulic and EPAS variants where essentially nothing else changed (Fusion, Escape, Edge, F150 and Taurus) and all of them went from a heavy hydraulic feel to a super light effort electric rack feel. Especially the vehicles that had the biggest wheels and tires. Women like it. I'm kind of meh on it. It's nice and easy to drive everyday, but there's little feel left IMO. The Gen 2 racks are more durable though- that's a surprise given how ****** EPAS started out for all the manufactures.

As for the OP- all Raptors hold their value better than anything else sold. It's the most desirable model of the most sold vehicle on the planet. Don't worry about it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Carpenter

Reaction score
Still on the market for a raptor. I saw a few Gen 1s for sale locally that a couple dealers have had for a few weeks, maybe even months now. Both trucks have gone down in price $2,000.00. The raptor bug has bit me hard but it seems like I could save thousands by waiting another couple weeks.

The raptors Im looking at are a white 2012 super crew with 90k miles for $26,999 and a very clean red 2011 for 26,799.00. Both of these trucks have dropped $2k off asking price in last couple weeks....

I have also noticed several 2017 gen 2s for sale around 39k. Before I only saw maybe 1 or 2 high mileage gen 2s for this price.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would go Gen 1, Gen 2 have a lot of problems, v6 will hold back re-sale. Gen 1 will have good resale and good reliability,

Gen 2's do not "have a lot of problems", and you have zero factual data to back up your claims on resale value. Gen 2's are holding their value just as well as Gen 1's.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's the newer rubber parts and the electric power steering. Everything else is essentially the same. There's no doubt the EPAS makes the biggest difference.

The only component that the 2 trucks share is the Ford Corporate/Sterling 9.75 rear axle. Everything else from the ground up is different, including the frame, cab, suspension, powertrain, electrical architecture, interior, etc. The Gen 2's drive and feel like a newer product because they are; with each new F-150, Ford makes revisions and improvements compared with the previous generation. Gen 1's trace their roots back to 2004 with a 2009 refresh in between; Gen 2's were a full redesign with no carryover in 2015.

I've driven 5 different models of Fords in both hydraulic and EPAS variants where essentially nothing else changed (Fusion, Escape, Edge, F150 and Taurus) and all of them went from a heavy hydraulic feel to a super light effort electric rack feel. Especially the vehicles that had the biggest wheels and tires. Women like it. I'm kind of meh on it. It's nice and easy to drive everyday, but there's little feel left IMO. The Gen 2 racks are more durable though- that's a surprise given how ****** EPAS started out for all the manufactures.

As for the OP- all Raptors hold their value better than anything else sold. It's the most desirable model of the most sold vehicle on the planet. Don't worry about it.

Having driven an extensive (many more than 5) Ford vehicles, I would have to disagree. EPAS doesn't feel any lighter than a typical hydraulic power steering system, especially in the Raptor's Sport Steering Mode. Also don't confuse heft with "feel"; EPAS is designed to provide better steering feel since it's not using hydraulic pressure to provide the assist. My 2004 Mustang (hydraulic) steering is ridiculously light and vague; it's a night and day difference compared with a new Mustang that has EPAS.

tales_from_the_crimp

Full Access Member
Reaction score