Gen 1 or used Gen 2 Raptor but worried about Gen 2 price w/ future pricing with Gen 3 coming out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Carpenter

Reaction score
Hello fellow raptor fans.

I am in desperate need of a new vehicle. I was driving a 2003 suburban that got to 240,000 miles before it began to nickel and dime me to death. I probably could have kept driving it but I haul a lot of tools and sometimes material as part of my carpentry job. I need a truck bad for work. SUV wasn't safe hauling dusty, dirty tools inside the cab with the passengers.

The Raptor is the best truck ever made obviously. It is the dream truck.

I can not afford to have a truck payment and a mechanics payment at the same time so I am leaning away from higher mileage Gen 1s that are very affordable. It seems that gen 1s with reasonable miles are still close to around $30,000 atleast if not more into the mid $30s. I commute atleast one hour round trip for work every day. Im currently borrowing a family members 2017 f-150 and I am very impressed with everything about it. My last vehicle eventually rusted out. The aluminum body appeals to me as I want this truck to last me the next 20 years. I am heavily leaning towards a used Gen 2. My question is after the Gen 3 comes out, will the GEN 2s take a huge price hit seeing that the were produced in such great numbers? Should I buy a beater truck to get my by until the gen 3s come out to save $10,000 if the Gen 2 drops in value? Seeing Gen2s in the low to mid 30s after Gen 3s come out doesn't seem to un reasonable. This is likely the biggest financial decision of my life.

Additionally, What problems could I run into with a gen 1 Raptor in the 120,000 mile range? At that amount of miles is it going to begin to nickel and dime me to death?

nmp1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i cant speak to the gen 1 trucks but here is my 2 cents.

as far as a work truck and doing a lot of driving/hauling, the raptor has a lower tow/haul capacity than a normal f150 due to the softer suspension so it might not be the best choice. that and the fuel economy is lower as its heavier and has more rolling resistance. a standard f150 will save you a lot of money over the life of the truck.

as far as the gen 2 values; i think the only way the gen 2 trucks see a big price/value hit is if the gen 3 has a v8 as the base engine and not in just some special high dollar unattainable package. there is so much v6 phobia and people complaining about the ecoboost yet the sales number are through the roof. ford has little motivation to change that with ever tighter cafe and emission standards. if the gen 3 truck still retains an engine similar to gen 2 there is really no big reason for a value drop. the gen 3 suspension will likely be a multi link but i dont think that will cause owners to try to get out of their trucks quick. some people swear up and down a v8 is coming but those are the same people who said that in 2017 then 2018 then 2019 then 2020.

i bought my gen 2 at the end of its life span since the bugs are worked out and the gen 3 will likely have its own issues to resolve and work out. i wasnt going to let life pass me by waiting for a v8 that probably wont come, im not against it i just look at it from a realistic standpoint. i was a little concerned about the ecoboost but man that truck is quick and the exhaust sound doesnt bother me at all. i have a running joke with my father every time a loud v8 truck drive by us we both say "thats a man's truck" as a knock to all the knuckleheads who dismiss the gen 2 for the v6.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Carpenter

Reaction score
That is very true about life not passing you buy....

My Z71 suburban lasted 17 years of hard driving and multiple vacations. I really appreciated having the z71 package on the suburban on numerous occasions. I definitely would have gotten stuck if not for the z71

As a finish carpenter, A full load for me would be dewalt miter saw, small table saw, portable air compressor, and a few tote bags full of nail guns, skill saws and drills. All together this weighs only a few hundred pounds at most. Its more the safety aspect of having the tools in a separate area that appeals to me so much about the truck. I do finish carpentry so material wise, I would be hauling plywood and other trim pieces and moldings. Not especially heavy.

Based on my price checks for used trucks, comparing a regular f-150 to the raptor, the raptor cost an additional $15,000 to a similarly priced truck. However I would quickly tear up a regular f-150. I spend a lot of time driving in cow pastures at high speeds as well as. I drive pretty aggressively at most times. The regular f-150 with the plastic air dam would quickly be torn off. Me going 60 down a rutted cow path and putting a hole in the transmission would quickly make any savings by buying a regular f-150 a mute point.

I LOVE the ecoboos BTW!! Its a great motor. SOOOO much power. The stock 3.5 ecoboost seems faster then the 6.2 raptor I test drove. .....

I read that the Gen 3 raptor wont have a v8 on a some what credible automotive website.

Ill be buying a gen 2 soon boys.. thanks NMP1!!

Last edited:

Wheelz96

Reaction score
I would love to see the carpenter doing 60mph in a field with tools and wood bouncing all over the place with shit flying out the bed... It's cool man, you don't have to justify why you want a Raptor, we all have one here and understand getting an F150 over a Raptor is simply not an option for us!

Welcome!

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Get a gen 2 with a warranty and don't worry about the depreciation, it will likely be on scale with, or better than any other high trim level f150. A gen 1 doesn't make sense as a vehicle you will need to rely on to make your wages. A better option would be a gen 1 plus a work beater, it would cost about the same as a gen 2 :D

Be aware your going to be rebuilding shocks every 15-30k if your running it off road a lot, this could be a major maintenance expense.