Front end clunk?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
2014 Raptor

I have replaced both cv axles, inner/outer tie rods, newly rebuilt shocks, eibach springs, and eliminator kit..

An intermittent clunk occurs when turning left and going in reverse only when in 4h/4L. Never occurs in 2h.

I cannot figure out what the noise is...
I figure it has to be something when under load/pressure..

Please leave me feedback and insight my fellow raptor owners.

Thanks,
Josh

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Are you on dry pavement or a loose surface like gravel? Gen 1's are only part time 4WD, they cannot be used on hard, dry surfaces like concrete or asphalt. If it occurs on a loose surface and only in 4WD, my first guess would be front differential bushings. As the differential loads up, bushings deflect. If they're worn out, the differential can ground out and cause a noise.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
how soon does it happen after shifting into 4wd? and is is constant? does it continually happen while in 4wd? or just once when you first engage?

OP
OP
J
Reaction score
It engages perfect without clunking. I recently replaced the transfer case. It's not constant, only happens when I start to reverse and when I turn the wheel to the left.