21 4x4 Clunk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Battery749

Reaction score
Hey everyone, just looking to get some ideas of what this clunk may be. Its only in 4A,4H and assuming 4L (never actually tried it). Its a pretty aggressive clunk I feel it on the driver side and feel like its behind me but can't really tell 100%. It was started when I was off roading in some deep snow, doing donuts (something I've done alot in my gen2 with no issues but this was the first time in my gen3) and during my fun time it started giving the clunk I described, the 4x4 gave me a wrench light and wouldn't engage 4x4 and then when I slowed to see what the hell was going on it popped up saying 4x4 restored and started working, then when I started accelerating I could feel that pop or clunk and it kept telling me 4x4 temporarily disabled, again slowing down to troubleshoot and would say 4x4 restored again. Reading in the owner manual and online I guess those messages can occur is something is overheated and needs to cool before enabling the system. I took it to Ford and they scratched their heads about it, no codes (the wrench went away and I didn't have a reader at the time) and they never heard this. They sent a hotline ticket in and Ford told them to replace the transfer case (made sense to me as well) and so they did. But just received a call today and was told that after installing the new transfer case that it did not fix the issue and they needed to send another message in the hotline to see what to do next. I feel that something gave out or weakened when I was off roading and I have no idea what. in 2H it drives beautifully, I've hammered on it in sports mode and cant get it to duplicate so its only in 4X4 and the dealer also came to that conclusion as well. Its just weird because it feels like its in the rear but again in 2H its perfect so idk if its the driveshaft, rear diff or anything else in the rear unless in 4x4 it just gives it enough stress its doing something. I guess I'll put my faith in the dealer to figure this out, but being a mechanic (aircraft) and DIYer I cant stop wanting to troubleshoot it and fix it myself buut its under warranty so not trying to **** with it to much. I put my GoPro underneath to see if I can find the source of the noise and with link the youtube video (to big of an upload to this). The video it sounds like a click or tick but I assure you, in the driver seat it sounds worse and you can feel it as well.

Attachments

• Snapchat-1517530079.jpg
    Snapchat-1517530079.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 8