FRF's "Havoc in the Hills" Raptor Event - 9/26/13-9/29/13

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Lol. Maybe the FCC regulates the civilian versions? Maybe someone who's programmed them can chime in. Too bad I can't check out some 152s that weekend. They may frown upon that.

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol. Maybe the FCC regulates the civilian versions? Maybe someone who's programmed them can chime in. Too bad I can't check out some 152s that weekend. They may frown upon that.

Of course the FCC regulates...I might just pay the fee and take the test and be done with it...don't need some big fine...

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I meant regulate as in how you can program them. I can see why they wouldn't want people to be able to program on the fly.

---------- Post added at 04:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:15 PM ----------

I'm pulling up the th-9000 manual to see what the process is.

All The Way

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Most ham radios will allow you to put business/police/fire frequencies in the radio to monitor but the radio will not allow you to transmit. Some of the radios can be "moded" to allow you to transmit. For Yaesu radios its pretty easy to do, usually a jumper needs to be removed and your done.

The three frequencies in use for this run are actually part of the Multi-Use Radio Service.
Multi-Use Radio Service Frequency Table

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The manual makes it seem like you can input on the fly. Are you saying as long as its the designated channels then you can transmit? I know on ours I can change the rx and tx respectively but I'm not sure what purpose that would serve. Does the tx need programmed externally?

JuggNuttz

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Fred this is what i got (wrong one) and what trey was selling. i got my own programming cable for like $11 and its pretty easy to set up. its programs kinda like an excel spread sheet with drop down menu's too.

if i do make this run, im sure ill have my laptop too to help program these handhelds if anyone needs. if i do make the run tho....

Edit, wrong one i had, this is the one i got Amazon.com: Wouxun KG-UV6D VHF/UHF 136-174/420-520 MHz Two Way Radio (Black): Car Electronics

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok this is starting to make sense...I get the excel spreadsheet analogy...so I can assign a specific channel to a designated frequency...say 150.1 = channel 1, and so on...

---------- Post added at 04:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:45 PM ----------

The manual makes it seem like you can input on the fly. Are you saying as long as its the designated channels then you can transmit? I know on ours I can change the rx and tx respectively but I'm not sure what purpose that would serve. Does the tx need programmed externally?

I am just leaning this stuff, but I am guessing that is what the computer is needed for, to basically hack the unit so you can transmit on Channels otherwise you could only listen to. I am thinking of the VHF on the boat...I can transmit on a certain range of Channels, but not 2 or 3 which is weather out of Wakefield..

Am I just lost? On this..

At least it appears the MHzs for the run are "legal" to transmit range...

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
This is a learning experience for me too. Lol. Our radios aren't regulated so technically I can transmit or receive on any channel it's capable of doing so with. They just tell us what freq we're using and that's what we program.

I'm just wondering if having the computer to program it is for ease of use or is it actually needed?

All The Way

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I know on ours I can change the rx and tx respectively but I'm not sure what purpose that would serve.

That would be used for repeaters. Example: This is a local repeater here in Lockport,
Code:
TX         RX      Location  Station   (Hz) Tone 
146.8200  146.2200   Lockport  W2RUI    107.2

Every radio is different on how it is moded to freeband it. Best way to find out is to google it (like this "KG-UV3D freeband" or MARS mod)

---------- Post added at 06:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:10 PM ----------

I'm just wondering if having the computer to program it is for ease of use or is it actually needed?

For my radio is just easier, some its the only way.