Arkansas Raptor Run in the Ozark National Forest (March 19-21)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
N0MAD

N0MAD

Reaction score
I am in Missouri and interested in attending but more than one day but rather the weekend.

I am conflicted on this radio choice. I have the Kenwood TM-281A (VHF) and previously the ICOM F5021. I have been on probably 20 raptor runs and GMRS has never been used. And will you have maps for the Lowrance GPS?

Are you camping or staying in motels?

Switching the radio choice to VHF, mistake on my part so no worries there.

I can send you some .gpx files on previous routes / waypoints. Won't have everything we will cover over the weekend but it'll give you an idea. Also recommend Gaia along with the MVUM map.

We'll be camping throughout the weekend, I'm heading there Thursday afternoon. Have some great spots picked out along creeks / on the side of mountains.

OP
OP
N0MAD

N0MAD

Reaction score
Right on! I’m in, just have to figure out the radio and nav heh, looking forward to it!!!

Glad to hear it! Make sure to mark "Going" on the Facebook event tab so I can get an accurate headcount.

We will be using VHF frequency. Baofeng UV-5R is a good handheld radio. If you're looking for something more permanent, ICOM or TYT make some great radios as well. PM me with any questions.

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just a suggestion if your looking f poi r a good solid radio. Yaesu 7900 or 8900 are excellent 50 watt vehicle mounted radios. Matching it to a good antenna is a must and depends on how you want the antenna mounted. Mag or through the roof etc. Makes a difference. Stay away from hand held radios for runs as the transmission distance is short at about 2 to 4 city blocks. Vehicle mounted get you as much as 30 miles. Yaesu are easily programmed and I can program for you if needed, just tell me frequencies you want. Yaesu 7900 8900 available on Amazon under 300.00.

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If is hasn’t rained, those trails get super dusty. When we did a run down there a few years ago. We had ~15 trucks and were spread out over 5 miles. Had to relay between lead and chase. With vhf radios

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
Sounds like a great time.

SmartSelect_20210209-173041_Chrome.jpg SmartSelect_20210209-173056_Chrome.jpg SmartSelect_20210209-173108_Chrome.jpg

Would love to get a Ham radio license but can't understand why one would want to agree to giving up their 4th amendment right.

SmartSelect_20210209-174145_Google.jpg

OP
OP
N0MAD

N0MAD

Reaction score
If is hasn’t rained, those trails get super dusty. When we did a run down there a few years ago. We had ~15 trucks and were spread out over 5 miles. Had to relay between lead and chase. With vhf radios

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I looked back to that Diamond Dash thread, seemed like a great time. Most of us have chase lights setup (GJ Motorsports) but agreed, it does get dusty.