first oil change feedback

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pushrodv8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dealer recommends 10w30 over the 5w20 syntactic blend. What do u guys think . Thanx

OP
OP
Pushrodv8

Pushrodv8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Middle East, was at the dealer when I posted the thread, I insisted on the 5W20. Thats what the manuel said. Got the oil changed. Gonna change it every 5000km to be on the safe side

Last edited:

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should always use the recommended weight from the manual. I can't speak to the warranty laws/rules overseas, they may be different from in the States. Now, that being said, there is something to be said for heavier weight oil in hotter climates. heavier weight oils do protect better in hot climates. But, before using anything not recommended in the manual, make sure to check on warranty issues. In the end, if you are going to change the oil every 5K then you shouldn't have any issues or problems running the recommended 5w-20.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If I lived in a hot climate like the middle east I would definitely run 5W30 in mine. In fact, I plan to mix in a few of them for next summer. The 5W20 is very thin.

OP
OP
Pushrodv8

Pushrodv8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should always use the recommended weight from the manual. I can't speak to the warranty laws/rules overseas, they may be different from in the States. Now, that being said, there is something to be said for heavier weight oil in hotter climates. heavier weight oils do protect better in hot climates. But, before using anything not recommended in the manual, make sure to check on warranty issues. In the end, if you are going to change the oil every 5K then you shouldn't have any issues or problems running the recommended 5w-20.

I understand that heavy weight oils are better in hot climates. Our climate is around 90-110f at this time of year. And I have 5w20 on the motor. And am sure Ford has done plenty of tests in all climates and spent lots of $ on researches to put 5w20 on the oil cap. Its too hot these days am kind of concerned. Should I get a higher weight oil or stick with ford s recommendation?

Any idea what break in factory oil was ?
Thanks

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand that heavy weight oils are better in hot climates. Our climate is around 90-110f at this time of year. And I have 5w20 on the motor. And am sure Ford has done plenty of tests in all climates and spent lots of $ on researches to put 5w20 on the oil cap. Its too hot these days am kind of concerned. Should I get a higher weight oil or stick with ford s recommendation?

Any idea what break in factory oil was ?
Thanks

Doing so is not going to hurt your engine, as a matter of fact, it could very well help it in the hotter climates. The only issue I foresee is an extremely light chance of voiding a warranty. But the key thing to remember there is that with the extremely high quality of most synthetic oils on the market today, an internal engine failure that is caused by going with a heavier weight oil will be nearly non existent. Some would say that you have a better chance of winning the lottery before killing your internal engine parts running a 30W over a 20W. Plus, before voiding the warranty, the dealership would have to prove that the engine oil itself caused any failure to be warrantied. I really don't see to many dealerships even considering the oil as being a problem unless you just never change it and they can tell by looking at the oil that it is burnt, etc. If I were personally in a hot climate like that I would put 30W in mine. But the hottest it gets around here is 90-95 on the hottest day.

OP
OP
Pushrodv8

Pushrodv8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doing so is not going to hurt your engine, as a matter of fact, it could very well help it in the hotter climates. The only issue I foresee is an extremely light chance of voiding a warranty. But the key thing to remember there is that with the extremely high quality of most synthetic oils on the market today, an internal engine failure that is caused by going with a heavier weight oil will be nearly non existent. Some would say that you have a better chance of winning the lottery before killing your internal engine parts running a 30W over a 20W. Plus, before voiding the warranty, the dealership would have to prove that the engine oil itself caused any failure to be warrantied. I really don't see to many dealerships even considering the oil as being a problem unless you just never change it and they can tell by looking at the oil that it is burnt, etc. If I were personally in a hot climate like that I would put 30W in mine. But the hottest it gets around here is 90-95 on the hottest day.

Back to the dealership, looks like I was the only Raptor Owner that had 20W haha in my country. Changed it to 5w30.

Thank you and appreciate your advice.