Feedback on your R's -- what problems have you experienced thus far?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K Avery

Reaction score
7,770 miles nothing significant - tailgate trim has come loose dealer ordered replacement and front lower bumper grille missing a part and ford can't seem to figure out what it is. Other than that a pure blast to drive

Hard R

Reaction score
Production date: 11.23
Brought in at 4200 miles for intermittent rattling on start up.

The dealer states :USING CHASSIS EARS WITH TEST DRIVE VERIFIED NOISE TO BECOMING FORM BELLHOUSING AREA. REMOVED SKID PLATE TO ACCESSSTARTER. REMOVED STARTER AND INSPECT FOUND STARTER TO BEGREASY AND STICKY. CLEANED STARTER WITH BRAKE CLEAN AND LUBEDUP BENDIX RE-INSTALLED STARTER AND RETEST. ALL OKRE-INSTALL SKID PLATE AND ROADTEST TO VERIFY.

I'm keeping an eye on it.

Reaction score
Bought my raptor in July. It was a July build. I have about 22k miles on it now. I had an issue with it leaving me stranded not recognizing the key fobs around 500 miles in… it would just randomly say key fob not detected and get stuck in park. The spot in cup holder for dead fob wouldn’t work…I took to ford they couldn’t figure out the problem and wanted me to let it with them but wouldn’t give me a loaner car… I ended up taking it home and figured out if I put the key fob in the back seat it would recognize it every time and not have an issue… so i used it like that till the first oil change and then told them to check into it. They ended up finding a messed up harness under the center glove box that wasn’t letting the antenna under there work or the key slot in the cup holder… both my windows on the front make noise when one of them is partially cracked open…

Other than those 2 issues I have had no problems. I have loved every 22,*** miles. I use it for my work truck, I am a used specialty car dealer. I pull a car trailer with car on it behind this truck weekly Multipule times with no issue. I had a 2021 Ram Trx I used until 88k miles and the Raptor R is just a much smoother, better built truck… can tell ford has been building a off road truck for many years vs the Trx… but the Trx was good to me only issue I had with it was the radiator leaked from 30k miles on… and the dealer couldn’t get me one… I ended up Jb welding it every so often. And I used it to do the same things I am doing with the R… I had it Accross country multiple times… it also saw all lower 48 states of the USA in 1 year chasing old corvettes…

Attachments

• IMG_2166.jpeg
    IMG_2166.jpeg
    137 KB · Views: 34

WMRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got mine back from the recalls today they only put 5 miles on it and seems good. I was worried but some miles and good to go hopefully.

Copp5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks like we need a new seal for the rear end. 23 R - 3,000 miles. Other than this no other issues IMG_4022.jpeg

tk3

Reaction score
Where do I start…

My R was one of the first R’s that were built last December and delivered to back in January of this year.

I had only 2400 miles on mine when I had turned it back into Ford under their buyback program/lemon law.

It was in and out of the dealership since day one, trying to address an issue with the engine which ended up being a SC issue. After going back and forth with the dealership, Ford Performance and Ford Corporate for almost two months Ford sent a SC replacement and a Ford Performance mechanic to address the issue because the trucks were so new at the time.

They ended up replacing the SC and it appeared to fix the issue for about a week / 250 miles. Then the sound / issue came back and the R went back into my local Ford dealer, and I was back on the phone with my FP rep that was originally signed to my case. After going back and forth again with Ford, for a month while the R sat at the dealer I decided that I was done with the MY23 R and proceeded to process the buyback.

Ford did right by me and bought back the R for what I paid for it plus the additional monies that I paid for the PPF.

All in all it was a bitter sweet day when I dropped the R off at the dealer for the last time (pic below), but having the truck in my possession for only two out of the six months I owned it was not acceptable to me, and moving forward with the buyback made sense to me at the time.

I new the risk going into buying a first MY, and in the end Ford did take care of me with a fast and easy buyback once the buyback was set in motion.

I currently have a 24MY on order, so fingers crossed for round two
2023 R owner here, similar situation. What was the sound yours was making? Mine sounds like a couple cheese graters bangin around.

Stormtrooper

Raptor R
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2023 R owner here, similar situation. What was the sound yours was making? Mine sounds like a couple cheese graters bangin around.
Sounds like you’re experiencing the same issues I had. Most likely you’ll need to have the SC replaced, however I did that twice and the sound kept coming back, so I’m not sure if it was the SC’s that I received or if there were other issues as well, I didn’t want to continue with the hassle so I proceeded with a buyback.

tk3

Reaction score
Yup Ok, thank you. We are pretty far along in the process and Ford has been pretty cool about everything.

Grizlbits

Reaction score
Just got mine. Traded in a 23 normal Raptor since it had no heated steering wheel. Found a Raptor R with a heated steering wheel ;). Three concerns so far. 1. Remote started it once and heard a rattle (exhaust maybe?) Popped the hood and the truck shut off, restarted and sounded fine. Hmmm. 2. It does stumble a bit at start up, mainly after it is warm. I'll keep an eye on this. 3. I swear I smell burnt oil - like oil burning on any exhaust when you first get in it when warm. No oil drips on garage floor yet, I have not gone underneath to inspect yet. Going to watch oil consumption closely.

I swapped out the airbags with no issues. Same diameter springs in the rear as the regular raptor - which was nice. Dealer also let me swap out the bed cover.