New Member? No! Have you met Ford Motors Customer Service?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Bought first Raptor 12/14, a Black SCREW at the insistence of my son who had a 2013 SCREW. Traded it and my 2016 Jeep Rubicon 11/2020 for a 2020 Lead Foot SCREW. Towed both Raptors based on manual instructions with my Motorcoach with no problems. First actual driving trip in the 2020 of about 300 miles on I-20 driving with traffic at about 80-85 turned off for a pit stop and when I returned, It would not do anything in reverse. Shifted to neutral then drive and it lurched but moved forward, then shifted to neutral and reverse. After some lurching, it moved and I proceed towards destination. Transmission was acting nuts, gear numbers were running up and down. A "wrench" appeared in the center panel of dash. A few miles later, I got an email from Ford Focus stating a "a power train malfunction has been detected." suggested taking it to nearest authorized Ford dealer for service which was Benoit Ford North, about 10 miles. This was 4/22/22 with 9,300 miles and 17 months of ownership. To shorten the story, the service department lied to me about a number of items, had no loaner or rent car and said I would have to rent a car and Ford would reimburse me for the cost. Rental car cost was $1,670.10. One of the lies was about the transmission itself, saying it may take a month or two to get a replacement transmission. Opened a complaint with Ford Motor Customer Service. After pressure, they obtained a "remanufactured" transmission, not a new one claiming it was different than a "rebuilt" transmission. Dealer told me they had the new transmission and were installing it and could pick it up 5/11/22 after noon. I told Service to call me at 8:30AM 5/11/22 to confirm my truck would be ready for pickup by noon or not because I was driving over to pick it up. The confirmed it would be!

Unfortunately when we arrived about 1:30, my truck was still on the service rack and I had received two additional malfunction messages on Ford Pass. After sitting around the show room all afternoon, the service manager finally said that they were still getting error messages and they could not fix it and if I wanted to have it towed to my Local selling dealer, Rockwall Ford, and Ford Motors would pay for the towing charge. They suggested three towing companies, and I booked one for 5/12/22 to pick my Raptor up at their dealership and take it to my selling dealership 300 miles away. I paid the towing bill at Rockwall Ford after a 4 hour 1 way tow of $1,800 in cash. Rockwall Ford service was backed up but got my truck in on 5/18/2022 and had it working in less than 2 hours. Said that the problem was who ever was working on the transmission had no idea how to program the transmission computers. So, finally got my Raptor back, but had a similar fault driving down Pikes Peak. I took it straight to the ford Dealer in Colorado Springs, and by the time they took it out, it showed no problem code and it has not duplicated since then (June 2022).

Seems like that would be the end of the story, but it is only the beginning. Ford Motors Customer services is impossible to get any action out of. They asked for and I provided every document related to this issue no less than four times. They call and tell me they are going to send me an email the next day and three weeks later, nothing. During this time I have received two checks relating to this claim from Cross Country Motor Club, one for $1,000 and the second one $100 with no explanation of what it is for since expenses authorized by Ford prior to charge is $3,470.10 and so far they have paid me $1,100 on a full factory warranty claim on a truck I paid $85,000 for! Have been unable to get any answer from Ford Motors Customer Service for what these checks are supposed to cover and when are they going to pay the additional $2,370.10 they owe me? This has been going on since April, 4 1/2 months on a simple warranty claim!!! FJB??? FFMC!

Coastal

Reaction score
Yeah, their customer service is terrible, but I formed a good relationship with my local dealer's service dept and they've been able to really advocate on my behalf and get a couple things sorted out under warranty

WKUSMC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought first Raptor 12/14, a Black SCREW at the insistence of my son who had a 2013 SCREW. Traded it and my 2016 Jeep Rubicon 11/2020 for a 2020 Lead Foot SCREW. Towed both Raptors based on manual instructions with my Motorcoach with no problems. First actual driving trip in the 2020 of about 300 miles on I-20 driving with traffic at about 80-85 turned off for a pit stop and when I returned, It would not do anything in reverse. Shifted to neutral then drive and it lurched but moved forward, then shifted to neutral and reverse. After some lurching, it moved and I proceed towards destination. Transmission was acting nuts, gear numbers were running up and down. A "wrench" appeared in the center panel of dash. A few miles later, I got an email from Ford Focus stating a "a power train malfunction has been detected." suggested taking it to nearest authorized Ford dealer for service which was Benoit Ford North, about 10 miles. This was 4/22/22 with 9,300 miles and 17 months of ownership. To shorten the story, the service department lied to me about a number of items, had no loaner or rent car and said I would have to rent a car and Ford would reimburse me for the cost. Rental car cost was $1,670.10. One of the lies was about the transmission itself, saying it may take a month or two to get a replacement transmission. Opened a complaint with Ford Motor Customer Service. After pressure, they obtained a "remanufactured" transmission, not a new one claiming it was different than a "rebuilt" transmission. Dealer told me they had the new transmission and were installing it and could pick it up 5/11/22 after noon. I told Service to call me at 8:30AM 5/11/22 to confirm my truck would be ready for pickup by noon or not because I was driving over to pick it up. The confirmed it would be!

Unfortunately when we arrived about 1:30, my truck was still on the service rack and I had received two additional malfunction messages on Ford Pass. After sitting around the show room all afternoon, the service manager finally said that they were still getting error messages and they could not fix it and if I wanted to have it towed to my Local selling dealer, Rockwall Ford, and Ford Motors would pay for the towing charge. They suggested three towing companies, and I booked one for 5/12/22 to pick my Raptor up at their dealership and take it to my selling dealership 300 miles away. I paid the towing bill at Rockwall Ford after a 4 hour 1 way tow of $1,800 in cash. Rockwall Ford service was backed up but got my truck in on 5/18/2022 and had it working in less than 2 hours. Said that the problem was who ever was working on the transmission had no idea how to program the transmission computers. So, finally got my Raptor back, but had a similar fault driving down Pikes Peak. I took it straight to the ford Dealer in Colorado Springs, and by the time they took it out, it showed no problem code and it has not duplicated since then (June 2022).

Seems like that would be the end of the story, but it is only the beginning. Ford Motors Customer services is impossible to get any action out of. They asked for and I provided every document related to this issue no less than four times. They call and tell me they are going to send me an email the next day and three weeks later, nothing. During this time I have received two checks relating to this claim from Cross Country Motor Club, one for $1,000 and the second one $100 with no explanation of what it is for since expenses authorized by Ford prior to charge is $3,470.10 and so far they have paid me $1,100 on a full factory warranty claim on a truck I paid $85,000 for! Have been unable to get any answer from Ford Motors Customer Service for what these checks are supposed to cover and when are they going to pay the additional $2,370.10 they owe me? This has been going on since April, 4 1/2 months on a simple warranty claim!!! FJB??? FFMC!
Ford Customer Service has been unsat, reps are working from home and no follow up on issues, I have jeep and They have been fantastic on all issues and all resolved.

StangGT5

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As the recent new owner of a Raptor with a lengthy extended warranty through Ford, I am not pleased to hear this. I suppose the dealer relationship is key here, but that should not be a requirement. The whole point of a warranty through Ford is so you have peace of mind wherever you are.

The truth is, as you found out, not all dealer mechanics are created equal. I have found many times independent shops have better trouble-shooting capabilities than dealerships. I come from a European car background though. Some of these new guys can't do anything when the computer doesn't tell them exactly what to do.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
As the recent new owner of a Raptor with a lengthy extended warranty through Ford, I am not pleased to hear this. I suppose the dealer relationship is key here, but that should not be a requirement. The whole point of a warranty through Ford is so you have peace of mind wherever you are.

The truth is, as you found out, not all dealer mechanics are created equal. I have found many times independent shops have better trouble-shooting capabilities than dealerships. I come from a European car background though. Some of these new guys can't do anything when the computer doesn't tell them exactly what to do.

Welcome to FRF. Please make a new thread to introduce yourself and post up a picture of your new to you prius.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score

OP has 3 posts and was last seen in November. There is likely more to this story than a random failure, as is usually the case with people towing these trucks behind motor coaches. The battery needs to be on a charger; if it becomes discharged it can exit neutral tow mode and the resulting damage to the transmission is catastrophic.