Factory Stereo Sound Quality

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SVT Bob18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have had my 14' Raptor for a few weeks now and everything is awesome...except for one thing...the stereo. The sound quality is just not that good. It has a very "flat" sound to it. I like to feel a little something when I listen to music and it's just not there. I just sold my 02' Lightning and that factory stereo kicked ass. So, why not the same for the Raptor? Am I missing something. I have played around with the settings and have gotten no improvement.

I would think that $50,000+ would get you something a little better.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
$18k gets you what i got.....

a decent system upgrade i do runs about $4,000-$4500 installed. since you are on the east coast,i dont think i will be doing your install anytime soon. but if you are looking to upgrade the sound, let me know and i will put a package together for you.

OP
OP
SVT Bob18

SVT Bob18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$18k gets you what i got.....

a decent system upgrade i do runs about $4,000-$4500 installed. since you are on the east coast,i dont think i will be doing your install anytime soon. but if you are looking to upgrade the sound, let me know and i will put a package together for you.

I appreciate that, but I'm not looking for an upgrade. My wife will shoot me if I spend another dime, anytime soon. What I'm trying to figure out is, is this stereo as bad as I think it is?

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sound deadening, sound processor, sound processor controller, front speakers, rear speakers, amplifiers, subwoofers, power cables, and a box.

---------- Post added at 07:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 PM ----------

and hours of tuning.

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes, the stock system is weak. It depends on your expectations and what sounds good to YOU. To my Dad, the stock system sounded awesome. To me, it sounded OK but was missing a little "oomph" in the low end. To some folks, it sounds like scraping nails on a chalkboard.

Different folks, different strokes.

Since you are budget challenged, then your options are limited. I swapped the stock door speakers with new ones (plenty of sub $200 choices for all four). But you get precisely that. $200 worth of improvement. That may be enough for you. But don't expect miracles.

I noticed an improvement by replacing the four door speakers with Polk db571s and disconnecting the factory tweeters. But it still lacked bass. My local audio shop installed a small sub with its own amp replacing the Sony sub under the passenger side rear seat. $450 installed. For me, that did the trick.

Does it sound like a $5000 system? No, of course not. But I didn't need it to nor could I afford it. But for less than $600 I was able to get enough improvement to satisfy me. But remember, I already thought the system sounded OK, so all I needed or could afford was a small upgrade. If you are very demanding and you think the stock system is terrible, $600 ain't gonna fix that.