Factory Stereo Sound Quality

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
SVT Bob18

SVT Bob18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, the stock system is weak. It depends on your expectations and what sounds good to YOU. To my Dad, the stock system sounded awesome. To me, it sounded OK but was missing a little "oomph" in the low end. To some folks, it sounds like scraping nails on a chalkboard.

Different folks, different strokes.

Since you are budget challenged, then your options are limited. I swapped the stock door speakers with new ones (plenty of sub $200 choices for all four). But you get precisely that. $200 worth of improvement. That may be enough for you. But don't expect miracles.

I noticed an improvement by replacing the four door speakers with Polk db571s and disconnecting the factory tweeters. But it still lacked bass. My local audio shop installed a small sub with its own amp replacing the Sony sub under the passenger side rear seat. $450 installed. For me, that did the trick.

Does it sound like a $5000 system? No, of course not. But I didn't need it to nor could I afford it. But for less than $600 I was able to get enough improvement to satisfy me. But remember, I already thought the system sounded OK, so all I needed or could afford was a small upgrade. If you are very demanding and you think the stock system is terrible, $600 ain't gonna fix that.

Thanks for the insight ZBoater. This was the info I was looking for.

HarkinBanks

Reaction score
I too didn't like the stock system and my wife took pity on me.

Here's what she had installed in my 2013 SCREW Roush Raptor for Father's Day:

Alpine MRX-V70 5 Channel Amp
Audio Control DQ-61 Six Channel Line Output Converter
JL Audio CP108LG-W3v3 Subwoofer
Focal Access 165 AS Speakers (front)
Focal Access 570 AC Speakers (rear)

Does it sound better. Immensely.

Yes, I am very lucky to have a wife who understands.

HB

AZEngineer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I appreciate that, but I'm not looking for an upgrade. My wife will shoot me if I spend another dime, anytime soon. What I'm trying to figure out is, is this stereo as bad as I think it is?

Yes, it's that bad. Also, I didn't renew Sat radio because it sucked too.

Noah hooked me up with the basics for an upgrade. His custom sub box new door speakers and some electronics. I think it was quite a bit below $4-5K (at least I hope so)...joe

jackrook

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I know my opinion is my opinion and mine only. But I guess I'm just one of the rare people who could care less about a stereo upgrade. Is the sound difference between a stock system and a $4000 system a big difference? Yes. Am I willing to pay? No. Music is music. Just not worth it for me. Fine with the stock radio. No complaints

slowest member of WCPR

D

Deleted member 12951

Yeah, I am no audiophile and I am another one of those few that thinks the Sony factory system works just fine for me. I think I ruined my hearing anyways when I was a teenager listening to my 74' car stereo at full blast, what I thought was awesome cause it was cassette and an aftermarket equalizer that probably cost $50 back then.

Why not try the $3 poly mod, people claim it helps and surely you can sneak that one by the wifey.

FastEddie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends on what you're used to. I had a JBL factory system in my last truck and it blew far worse than this Sony setup. The Sony is not great, but its a big upgrade over my last one.

LS3 CJ7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The factory stereo is good for talk radio or music at a very very low volume. Other than that it sucks. I've replaced most car systems I've had with a JBL set up and have never been disappointed. I plan to change this system out as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The listening environment inside a vehicle is inescapably poor, and one might expect quite a bit less from a high-powered ground-pounding off-road truck. Those that install exhaust systems that are louder than the factory exhaust should expect still less from an on board stereo system. A high speed off road truck does not seem to be the best place to invest in stereo gear.

I'm going to be 60 in about three weeks. My ears ring all the time. I had a hearing test last week, and it was only the second test I've ever flunked in my life. My hearing drops off at a 45 degree angle beginning at 1000 Hz. I'd never hear the difference if I invested $5K in stereo gear for the Raptor. Even $20K wouldn't make any difference to me.

I'm a dinosaur, that's certain, but dinosaurs aren't necessarily stupid. We just have different priorities. I bought my Raptor for capability, not for entertainment, and capability is where I've invested in upgrades. In the motorcycle world, the sentiment is encapsulated thusly: "Chrome don't get you home." For the Raptor I'd say "Sounds don't get you around."

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I agree. In my youth I DJed and enjoy good music. But I'm not into pavement pounding bass or anything like that. For us I think the stock system is fine. A little more here, a little more there, not a big priority. But good to have options.

I've seen some sick setup where you could run a house party off the truck. Hey, to each his own. Like the guy with the 6" lift. Whatever floats your boat. Or sinks it....