Engine/Turbos blown under 1100 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A cross country trip is not ideal, but as long as you don’t cruise for an extended time at the same vehicle/engine speed you shouldn’t have any issues. I bought mine brand new off of the lot and had to drive 800 miles home; it was mostly highway, but between varying speed (accelerating/decelerating) with traffic and a few stops along the way, I think it broke in just fine. The owner’s manual also states not to labor the engine during break-in, so if you’re pulling a hill in a high gear asunder boost, it would be advisable to manually lock out the higher gears so it downshifts and reduces load.
I’ve never driven east to west coast but I’ve got to imagine that at least 50% of it would be set it and forget it cruise speeds. Sounds like this is not that great but I’m not paying for shipping costs.

HighHP

Reaction score
I don't get it. While he was "racing", he wasn't operating the truck out of the expected norms of it's use. I'm pretty sure "flooring it" doesn't void your warranty. You should be able to walk in to the dealer right now and tell them directly that something broke under hard acceleration and it shouldn't be an issue, let alone post on a forum where you look for advice and support. So why are you piling up on him?
I would agree. Plus "RACING" is on a track racing. This is not "RACING". Assuming this happened as explained, this is totally within the expected operating parameters as designed by Ford. If this is all it takes to break a Raptor, at least 50% of the Raptors would be on the side of the road. If Ford gives you crap, tell them you are going to buy a TRX and never look back.

Last edited:

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
Hey y’all, ……. the revs were too high..
It was fun while it lasted :sad72: hopefully I’ll get it back soon.

If you're manually shifting first to second and wait until you see the tach at 6k you’re way behind already. In first gear the engine is accelerating so quickly that it blows right past the rev limiter into over-rev territory.

What you did SHOULD NOT hurt it if only a few times before you learn the best way to drive it at WOT. However all rotating assemblies (and factory turbochargers) are not created equal and you likely blew a head gasket into the water jacket or indeed the affected bank turbo could have popped a shaft seal from excessive turbo rpm’s. White smoke tells me coolant is burning.

You will never be as quick accelerating manually shifting it as it will be in Sport mode and just let it eat.

Good luck at Ford!

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@FordTechOne Can you give us some advice for proper break in on the 3.5l? I'm going to have to drive mine 3000 miles from east coast to west coast when it's finally built and delivered. I'm not sure if an immediate cross-country trip is the best break in for a new engine? I've read not to use the cruise control because you would want a fluctuation in RPM's for a break in, but is that really true? It would be nice driving 3000 miles to use the adaptive cruise control and not have to worry about which route across the country I take since hills and mountain climbs may not be good for break in? Thanks in advance everyone. This is my first turbo vehicle.
You can lock out higher gears to get time at different rpms, even if you're cruising.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
If you're manually shifting first to second and wait until you see the tach at 6k you’re way behind already. In first gear the engine is accelerating so quickly that it blows right past the rev limiter into over-rev territory.
THIS.

The paddles take some getting used to and in particular 1-2; first gear is gone QUICK at WFOT.

Also, in manual mode, it makes no differences between ’normal’ and sport for acceleration. I can’t speak to suspension or braking, but manual changing the drive mode between sport and normal won’t contribute to going faster.

You will never be as quick accelerating manually shifting it as it will be in Sport mode and just let it eat.

agreed. The paddles do have a few use cases, particularly if you want to hold a gear under specific condition etc. acceleration tests is not an ideal use case for paddle shifting. Unless you’re the one percent of the one percent; in other words, you’re testing for F1 teams, or you’re actually the Stig.

OP
OP
PandaBoi

PandaBoi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
THIS.

The paddles take some getting used to and in particular 1-2; first gear is gone QUICK at WFOT.

Also, in manual mode, it makes no differences between ’normal’ and sport for acceleration. I can’t speak to suspension or braking, but manual changing the drive mode between sport and normal won’t contribute to going faster.

agreed. The paddles do have a few use cases, particularly if you want to hold a gear under specific condition etc. acceleration tests is not an ideal use case for paddle shifting. Unless you’re the one percent of the one percent; in other words, you’re testing for F1 teams, or you’re actually the Stig.
Given your comment and @TwizzleStix I could very well see this being what happened. Moving forward I will avoid using the paddle shifters when doing that sort of acceleration and could totally see that my reaction time would not be comparable to that of the vehicle. Unfortunate that it likely blew a gasket (what my friend thinks happened too) but the dealer seems pretty interested in helping out. I’ll let y’all know what happens. :popcorn:

Raptorial

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry about your truck. How many back to back runs did you do like tis?