Engine/Turbos blown under 1100 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PandaBoi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey y’all,

So unfortunately as the title suggests my 21 35 package raptor kind of died today. It is at a Ford dealer here in Austin (I’m from Dallas and visiting) because earlier today something really bad happened. I’m really unsure but I’ve narrowed it down to being most likely a turbo failure. Here’s what happened:

I was with a friend who owns 2019 gen 2 base raptor with a Cobb intake and Cobb tune and we were comparing 0-60 speeds on a flat surface. We both brake boosted a little and took off in sport mode with 4A. I was using manual paddle shifters and floored it after the brake boost until it hit about 6000 rpm. Then I shifted to second gear and something strange happened. Basically when I shifted the trucks rpm’s dropped to ~2000 rpm for a second and I felt a physical brake in momentum (I was thrown forward in a sense) and then it picked back up in speed and there were no issues changing gears. It only happened in changing from first to second. I was consistent on the throttle through the gear changes and just tapped the right shifter once. It sounded like a clunk and an engine breaking noise as if I were downshifting from 2nd to 1st and the revs were too high.

I thought it was just a random anomaly but we tried again, did the same thing and was consistent with it. Brake boost, floor it, shift at 6000, weird jerk forward during gear change and drop of rpm’s to 2000, reacceleration, no issues beyond that.

We pulled over and there was a ton of white smoking that smelled horrible but not like burning oil blowing out the exhaust while on (less while idling). No check engine light or anything. At idle the passenger side of the engine bay had a somewhat loud hissing noise. I gave it some revs in park and it sounded for the most part fine but was blowing more white smoke. We drove it back to his house 5 min away and it was shaking on the flat road on the way there. There was also this noise of metal grinding when going up hills or with too much throttle.

We got back to his house and got a flatbed to pick it up and take it to a ford dealer here in Austin. They were shocked and didn’t know what to say. It’s only got about 1000 miles. They said they will have a service tech call me Monday morning to talk about it and they said they can’t look at it for 4-5 days. No loaners either.

I guess we’ll see what happens, luckily I can work remotely. Just a little shocked because I felt like something like this was gonna happen but didn’t think it would actually happen. I’ll post and update when I get one and figured I’d share it with y’all.

It was fun while it lasted :sad72: hopefully I’ll get it back soon.

UPDATE 1: (02/23)
So the dealer got back to me yesterday (02/22) and let me know they got it up on the lift and started to diagnose the issue. To my surprise the tech checked the engine and turbos and neither of them have any damage (apparently). He said they also checked the waste gate and didn’t see any issues there. He said they were a little confused and not sure why the truck was doing what it was doing (white smoke, metal grinding noise under load, etc.). He said they are going to pull some more techs on it to try and figure out what is wrong/broken.

So TLDR, they don’t know what is wrong but it isn’t the turbos or engine.

UPDATE 2: (02/23)
So the dealer gave me another call today and they think they have found the issue. Essentially what happened was that both valve covers have a diaphragm which was installed incorrectly from the factory. Due to the incorrect configuration of these diaphragms they allowed oil to leak into the exhaust and burn off (along with some other issues). I'm not exactly sure if hes is talking about the active valves (ones in the exhaust) or some other valves but no damage to the turbos or engine has occurred, everything is in check.

They have the parts on order however due to there being a trucker's strike up in Detroit and the inclement weather across the midwest they have no idea when the replacements will come in. Until then the truck has to stay in their possession and there is not much i can do.

So it looks like my actions were not what "killed" the truck. Although i know to not use the paddle shifters now the way I did, the problems observed were due to an issue noticed on delivery with the exhaust rattling. Because i haven't pushed the vehicle hard until the other day, they never truly became a problem and the problem was still there but just hadn't become present.

Anyway, that seems to be all for now, they said they will cover the repair and let me know when it will be done, hopefully it doesn't take too long!

TLDR, if you have an exhaust rattle on idle/cold start, get your truck in the shop ASAP and have them order the parts. It seems to still be drive-able (when driving lightly) until you push it hard and those valves fail and present the problem.

UPDATE 3: (02/25)
So the dealer called me again today and let me know they performed the fix on the engine valve diaphragm but turns out that was not the problem. Turns out that the passenger side turbo is in fact blown and they have to replace the whole assembly. I thought this was odd because they told me they checked the turbos first and they were fine since I brought it up. He said they just have missed it the first time. Anyway the turbo is leaking a lot of oil into the exhaust and that is what caused the smoke, the metal grinding was the turbo attempting to spin.

Similar to @OSURaptor some of the parts are back ordered with no eta in sight. Guess it’s going to be a while. Hope they can fix it soon.

I also contact Ford corporate about the problem and complained. Doing so managed to get me an ESP warranty and service contract for free! So at least they are helping me out there! They are going to let me know the term on it this upcoming week but the kind agent said she would have to find out from the dealer how bad the situation is first. She said at minimum they will give me something though. Good in them for helping out, anyone who runs into this issue, a call to corporate may work out in your favor!

Last edited:

gkrane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey y’all,

So unfortunately as the title suggests my 21 35 package raptor kind of died today. It is at a Ford dealer here in Austin (I’m from Dallas and visiting) because earlier today something really bad happened. I’m really unsure but I’ve narrowed it down to being most likely a turbo failure. Here’s what happened:

I was with a friend who owns 2019 gen 2 base raptor with a Cobb intake and Cobb tune and we were comparing 0-60 speeds on a flat surface. We both brake boosted a little and took off in sport mode with 4A. I was using manual paddle shifters and floored it after the brake boost until it hit about 6000 rpm. Then I shifted to second gear and something strange happened. Basically when I shifted the trucks rpm’s dropped to ~2000 rpm for a second and I felt a physical brake in momentum (I was thrown forward in a sense) and then it picked back up in speed and there were no issues changing gears. It only happened in changing from first to second. I was consistent on the throttle through the gear changes and just tapped the right shifter once. It sounded like a clunk and an engine breaking noise as if I were downshifting from 2nd to 1st and the revs were too high.

I thought it was just a random anomaly but we tried again, did the same thing and was consistent with it. Brake boost, floor it, shift at 6000, weird jerk forward during gear change and drop of rpm’s to 2000, reacceleration, no issues beyond that.

We pulled over and there was a ton of white smoking that smelled horrible but not like burning oil blowing out the exhaust while on (less while idling). No check engine light or anything. At idle the passenger side of the engine bay had a somewhat loud hissing noise. I gave it some revs in park and it sounded for the most part fine but was blowing more white smoke. We drove it back to his house 5 min away and it was shaking on the flat road on the way there. There was also this noise of metal grinding when going up hills or with too much throttle.

We got back to his house and got a flatbed to pick it up and take it to a ford dealer here in Austin. They were shocked and didn’t know what to say. It’s only got about 1000 miles. They said they will have a service tech call me Monday morning to talk about it and they said they can’t look at it for 4-5 days. No loaners either.

I guess we’ll see what happens, luckily I can work remotely. Just a little shocked because I felt like something like this was gonna happen but didn’t think it would actually happen. I’ll post and update when I get one and figured I’d share it with y’all.

It was fun while it lasted :sad72: hopefully I’ll get it back soon.
I love the part where you say "I thought it was an anomaly so we tried it again." Then you post it all online. Don't be surprised when you get a call saying your truck isn't being covered.

Last edited:

Chiefapple

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol, breaks truck racing, posts about it on internet. Nevermind them digging into it further and checking all the datalogs that have already been sent to ford, because its connected to them every minute of every day.

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It will be covered , no mods and if tires don't show signs of spinning or chunked out . Next time I would not use paddle shifters for racing let the automatic do its thing. I remember in my Lightning days . A Ford technician at a New York dealer posted pictures a 04 cobra with only 500 miles. It was sold new on Friday and engine was blown by Monday. Broken Rods hanging out of block , Clutch and tires were burned to a crisp. That was not covered under warranty .

Last edited:

drbubbles84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't get it. While he was "racing", he wasn't operating the truck out of the expected norms of it's use. I'm pretty sure "flooring it" doesn't void your warranty. You should be able to walk in to the dealer right now and tell them directly that something broke under hard acceleration and it shouldn't be an issue, let alone post on a forum where you look for advice and support. So why are you piling up on him?