Engine/Turbos blown under 1100 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Syberspace

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Given your comment and @TwizzleStix I could very well see this being what happened. Moving forward I will avoid using the paddle shifters when doing that sort of acceleration and could totally see that my reaction time would not be comparable to that of the vehicle. Unfortunate that it likely blew a gasket (what my friend thinks happened too) but the dealer seems pretty interested in helping out. I’ll let y’all know what happens. :popcorn:
What you did, did not hurt the vehicle. There are protection limits on these trucks and if they gave it paddles shifters and you want to use them... do it. I agree with the delay in paddle pull to shift, but no way you hurt the vehicle. The rev limiter would kick in before it over revved. (others are correct in that the auto mode would likely be your fastest sprint time).
Also, no one here knows what happened... speculating it is a blown head gasket is just that... speculation.
Hell... I saw a photo on a Gen3 with its turbo impeller spit out into the exhaust piping. Could be anything.

Have you seen how these trucks were pushed on some of the test videos? WOT a lot longer than your 0-60 sprints... and in hot desert conditions. It is a performance truck people!

BC119

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why are people shifting with the paddle shifters to begin with. Leave that for your F1 car or Gran Turismo.
You're spoiled with the Raptor, the 10r80 actually shifts pretty well with the Raptor alternate solenoid profiles in manual and sport modes. Trying to manual shift an F150 is an exercise in futility. The gear change command and the execution are a decade apart.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
using the slow ass paddles at wide open throttle is a no no......I am guessing, you hit the rev limiter because the paddles shift so slow....and then it tried to shift to 2nd after you already were in the rev loiter (where fuel and boost were cut), then when the shift happened, the truck had to change from rev limit mode back to wide open throttle....

as others have said....use the paddles for down shifting and rock crawling....let the computer up shift for you

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Why are people shifting with the paddle shifters to begin with. Leave that for your F1 car or Gran Turismo.

To control the gear shifts so you have more predictability with the throttle. Sometimes I don’t want the truck to upshift because I know that I’m not going to carry more speed, and I want to hold the current gear through a curve or other slower than straight line use case, and I want the current gear when I get back on the throttle.

1-2 takeoffs are so quick it's almost impossible to hit it right without losing 3-400rpm's.

Short shift if you’re manually paddling... wait, that didn’t come out right.

Never mind. You guys get the point.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Only digital dash I've ever enjoyed is the modern Audi one. Everything else is laggy, and regular analog gauges work better in a performance situation for this reason.
The term is “latency” and it could be as much as 10-60 milliseconds.

Touringchef

Reaction score
I don't get it. While he was "racing", he wasn't operating the truck out of the expected norms of it's use. I'm pretty sure "flooring it" doesn't void your warranty. You should be able to walk in to the dealer right now and tell them directly that something broke under hard acceleration and it shouldn't be an issue, let alone post on a forum where you look for advice and support. So why are you piling up on him?
No Kidding arent these trucks supposed to be Baha Racing trucks? "Built Ford Tough"

Muchmore

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sometimes I don’t want the truck to upshift because I know that I’m not going to carry more speed, and I want to hold the current gear through a curve or other slower than straight line use case, and I want the current gear when I get back on the throttle.

OMG I can't believe you would expect this out of a T-R-U-C-K!!! Driving like this should strictly be done in a purposely designated vehicle for spirited driving! Holding gears in corners with a truck is just ludicrous, you should be parking it right before the corner then jumping in your Porsche for the corner, then jump in your Lincoln for the next big straight away where clearly a truck is not designed for either! The nerve...... :doh2:

Raptorial

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was referring to what OP was using it for (drag racing). I didn't mean to imply they are completely useless. I have manually changed gears offroad

For a high performance setting (aka "racing" like the OP was ) there is zero benefit
To control the gear shifts so you have more predictability with the throttle. Sometimes I don’t want the truck to upshift because I know that I’m not going to carry more speed, and I want to hold the current gear through a curve or other slower than straight line use case, and I want the current gear when I get back on the throttle.

BC119

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The term is “latency” and it could be as much as 10-60 milliseconds.
Thank you, I would've ensured I was drawing from the correct vernacular had I been contributing to a technical document at work. lmao