Engine/Turbos blown under 1100 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't get it. While he was "racing", he wasn't operating the truck out of the expected norms of it's use. I'm pretty sure "flooring it" doesn't void your warranty. You should be able to walk in to the dealer right now and tell them directly that something broke under hard acceleration and it shouldn't be an issue, let alone post on a forum where you look for advice and support. So why are you piling up on him?
Because it's fun? :cool:

GWBush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm sounds like you may have a defective engine. I personally wouldn’t be pulling 0 to 60 runs before 5k miles but I’m old and conservative. I would think the warranty would cover it, no need to add color commentary as to the circumstances…

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@FordTechOne Can you give us some advice for proper break in on the 3.5l? I'm going to have to drive mine 3000 miles from east coast to west coast when it's finally built and delivered. I'm not sure if an immediate cross-country trip is the best break in for a new engine? I've read not to use the cruise control because you would want a fluctuation in RPM's for a break in, but is that really true? It would be nice driving 3000 miles to use the adaptive cruise control and not have to worry about which route across the country I take since hills and mountain climbs may not be good for break in? Thanks in advance everyone. This is my first turbo vehicle.
A cross country trip is not ideal, but as long as you don’t cruise for an extended time at the same vehicle/engine speed you shouldn’t have any issues. I bought mine brand new off of the lot and had to drive 800 miles home; it was mostly highway, but between varying speed (accelerating/decelerating) with traffic and a few stops along the way, I think it broke in just fine. The owner’s manual also states not to labor the engine during break-in, so if you’re pulling a hill in a high gear asunder boost, it would be advisable to manually lock out the higher gears so it downshifts and reduces load.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
If I manual shifted my Gen 2 and didn't shift into second gear fast enough it would cut power and fall on its face. I would prefer that it would bounce off of a rev limiter but it doesn't. Even though your shifting before redline the truck can hit redline before the actual shift takes place......I agree with letting the truck shift itself If I manual shifted my Gen 2 and didn't shift into second gear fast enough it would cut power and fall on its face. I would prefer that it would bounce off of a rev limiter but it doesn't. Even though your shifting before redline the truck can hit redline before the actual shift takes place......I agree with letting the truck shift itself
My 2019 does protect it's engine by utilizing the rev limiter, only happened once but glad it worked as designed.

Parappa The Rapta

Reaction score
Jesus... guys... a 85k truck that's built for sport.. ex. Doing non truck things like barreling across 120 degree deserts at 100 mph.... should not implode on a 0-60 run.

Stop defending ****** pandemic work and a insanely bad company, this is not a club, you own a product and when you don't get what's promised its not a nanana boo boo I told you situation. Ford, very obviously advertises the capabilities of this truck and it wouldn't sell a single one if it acknowledged the insane notion that it's "normal" if it freaking blows up because you've done something that's similar to merging onto a highway.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Jesus... guys... a 85k truck that's built for sport.. ex. Doing non truck things like barreling across 120 degree deserts at 100 mph.... should not implode on a 0-60 run.

Stop defending ****** pandemic work and a insanely bad company, this is not a club, you own a product and when you don't get what's promised its not a nanana boo boo I told you situation. Ford, very obviously advertises the capabilities of this truck and it wouldn't sell a single one if it acknowledged the insane notion that it's "normal" if it freaking blows up because you've done something that's similar to merging onto a highway.
BUT, what if the highway has a slight hill, it was windy, and maybe even a bump on it?? :cool:

drbubbles84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BUT, what if the highway has a slight hill, it was windy, and maybe even a bump on it?? :cool:
Nope! Then it's your fault. Your have blasphemed the church of Ford. How dare you post on here telling us of your sin? Go read chapter 3 verse 2 of the holy owner's manual and pray on it.