Engine rattle/noise at start up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mad man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would take a GEN 1 with a 10 speed transmission over the GEN 2 any day . These GEN 2 have way too many problems

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would take a GEN 1 with a 10 speed transmission over the GEN 2 any day . These GEN 2 have way too many problems

Based on what? A few posts online? I have two friends with over 130k on their Gen 2s, no issue. I'm nearly 30k, flog mine hard, and also have no issues.

Any vehicle produced en mass - included your beloved Gen 1 - will have some lemons. In fact, over the years the overall failure rates are remaining equal (if not decreasing), DESPITE huge gains in features, comfort, and complexity.

mad man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had gen 1 bought a 17 gen 2 had every problem, cam phasers , oil pan leak , shuddering, waste gate rattle, torque converter failure. The only thing cool about the GEN two is they ride a little smoother and have a little more wheel travel. Plus the seats suck compared to the GEN one. Put a 10 speed transmission in the GEN one and it will kick the gen 2 ass all over the place I’ve drove a 5.0 with a 10 speed and it was fast .The market is flooded now with Raptors the value has been depreciated considerably I would’ve rather kept my 2011 and super charged it

Last edited:

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had gen 1 bought a 17 gen 2 had every problem, cam phasers , oil pan leak , shuddering, waste gate rattle, torque converter failure. The only thing cool about the GEN two is they ride a little smoother and have a little more wheel travel. Plus the seats suck compared to the GEN one. Put a 10 speed transmission in the GEN one and it will kick the gen 2 ass all over the place I’ve drove a 5.0 with a 10 speed and it was fast .The market is flooded now with Raptors the value has been depreciated considerably I would’ve rather kept my 2011 and super charged it

Yeah...no. I have a friend who has a supercharged Gen 1, we ride in each other's trucks every track day. My truck outruns his on and off the track, and he has mentioned such on several occasions. The seats are neither more or less comfortable, of course this is a subjective thing anyway.

Surely you troll...an engine with less HP and torque will not be faster even with the same transmission. That's not even accounting for the weight discrepancy. If I carried a full load in the bed I'd be equivalent to a Gen 1 with 200-300 lbs in the bed.

My dad recently purchased an F150...he noted the 5.0 was much slower than the Ecos he tested. He actually called me to ask what engine he should get, but was already leaning towards the 3.5 since it is, objectively, the best engine overall.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Once reason why the market is flooded with GEN2 is because they are simply making more of them when compared to gen1 prod numbers ... like several thousands more.

mad man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The market has changed, gen 1 you were hard-pressed to find a deal on them other than dealer markup the gen 2 you can find a deal on them all over the place! I’m just saying some people payed A LOT over invoice ! By the way Ford made amends for all the problems I had and put me in a 18 , so far the only thing that might be showing signs of a problem is the cam phasers, I get noise on start up every now and then doesn’t last long so until it becomes apparent that Dealer won’t deal with it, but if you can bring it in while it’s making a noise they have no choice but to fix it. We’ll see what Ford does next.

Baz

Reaction score
Just thought I'd pass my experience on to others that may have the same issue.

2017 Raptor built at the end of June '17, delivered two weeks later in mid July.

First oil change at dealer at 2k miles. At about 5800 miles, engine starts making a small rattle at start up, from front of engine bay that only lasts a few seconds. Becomes increasingly noticeable, especially when starting remotely as you could hear it from the outside and front more so than from interior. Note that the truck is stock and used mostly for commuting and hasn't been abused in any way. It's a third vehicle so is used about 700-800 miles a month, and has yet to be off road or haul a trailer.

Took truck in for second oil change last month at 6,900 miles and asked them to check engine rattle. Ended up keeping truck nearly 4 weeks with lots of comm back and forth with Ford Performance/Engineering. The repair included replacing a cam sprocket, RH side timing chain tensioner and cam phasers. Engine is still quiet at start up now after 500 miles since picking it up.

No complaints and love the truck - just thought I'd pass this along in the event anyone else is having increased front of engine start up noises that go away after a few seconds. There were no codes or any other abnormalities noted to my repair beyond the RH side chain tensioner was bleeding down after sitting.
Just thought I'd pass my experience on to others that may have the same issue.

2017 Raptor built at the end of June '17, delivered two weeks later in mid July.

First oil change at dealer at 2k miles. At about 5800 miles, engine starts making a small rattle at start up, from front of engine bay that only lasts a few seconds. Becomes increasingly noticeable, especially when starting remotely as you could hear it from the outside and front more so than from interior. Note that the truck is stock and used mostly for commuting and hasn't been abused in any way. It's a third vehicle so is used about 700-800 miles a month, and has yet to be off road or haul a trailer.

Took truck in for second oil change last month at 6,900 miles and asked them to check engine rattle. Ended up keeping truck nearly 4 weeks with lots of comm back and forth with Ford Performance/Engineering. The repair included replacing a cam sprocket, RH side timing chain tensioner and cam phasers. Engine is still quiet at start up now after 500 miles since picking it up.

No complaints and love the truck - just thought I'd pass this along in the event anyone else is having increased front of engine start up noises that go away after a few seconds. There were no codes or any other abnormalities noted to my repair beyond the RH side chain tensioner was bleeding down after sitting.
I got a 2017 raptor with around 20k km, also around same time build as you and my engine rattles at startup and when idle after accelerating it rattles. It sounds horrible! I took it in once and they blamed it on my installed baja fog lights. Once I got it back rattle noise was less but came back as I drove it more and more. I’m certain it’s from the engine now after checking it myself again. The truck still drives fine but that noise is annoying, not sure what to do?
Here is a link on YouTube of my actual truck making that noise.

Last edited:

Kuan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a 2017 raptor with around 20k km, also around same time build as you and my engine rattles at startup and when idle after accelerating it rattles. It sounds horrible! I took it in once and they blamed it on my installed baja fog lights. Once I got it back rattle noise was less but came back as I drove it more and more. I’m certain it’s from the engine now after checking it myself again. The truck still drives fine but that noise is annoying, not sure what to do?

You need to take that thing back to the ford service center. That sounds bad enough to where it could jump time very soon.

moonjim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive had a cracked cam gear and rattle at start up that does not sound like it at all. That sounds like something in torque converter or maybe something rattling on a skid plate or shield.

Baz

Reaction score
Went to ford and they said my starter motor needed to be replaced and they said it had nothing to do with the rattling noise. Starter motor part arrived was installed few days ago and rattling noise completely gone!! Great news, apparently another raptor owner told me that if you dune hard with the truck, sand can get in the starter motor which causes that rattling noise! Problem solved!