Engine rattle/noise at start up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kyson

Reaction score
Just thought I'd pass my experience on to others that may have the same issue.

2017 Raptor built at the end of June '17, delivered two weeks later in mid July.

First oil change at dealer at 2k miles. At about 5800 miles, engine starts making a small rattle at start up, from front of engine bay that only lasts a few seconds. Becomes increasingly noticeable, especially when starting remotely as you could hear it from the outside and front more so than from interior. Note that the truck is stock and used mostly for commuting and hasn't been abused in any way. It's a third vehicle so is used about 700-800 miles a month, and has yet to be off road or haul a trailer.

Took truck in for second oil change last month at 6,900 miles and asked them to check engine rattle. Ended up keeping truck nearly 4 weeks with lots of comm back and forth with Ford Performance/Engineering. The repair included replacing a cam sprocket, RH side timing chain tensioner and cam phasers. Engine is still quiet at start up now after 500 miles since picking it up.

No complaints and love the truck - just thought I'd pass this along in the event anyone else is having increased front of engine start up noises that go away after a few seconds. There were no codes or any other abnormalities noted to my repair beyond the RH side chain tensioner was bleeding down after sitting.

Last edited:

TigerRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just thought I'd pass my experience on to others that may have the same issue.

2017 Raptor built at the end of June '17, delivered two weeks later in mid July.

First oil change at dealer at 2k miles. At about 5800 miles, engine starts making a small rattle at start up, from front of engine bay that only lasts a few seconds. Becomes increasingly noticeable, especially when starting remotely as you could hear it from the outside and front more so than from interior. Note that the truck is stock and used mostly for commuting and hasn't been abused in any way. It's a third vehicle so is used about 700-800 miles a month, and has yet to be off road or haul a trailer.

Took truck in for second oil change last month at 6,900 miles and asked them to check engine rattle. Ended up keeping truck nearly 4 weeks with lots of comm back and forth with Ford Performance/Engineering. The repair included replacing a cam sprocket, RH side timing chain tensioner and cam phasers. Engine is still quiet at start up now after 500 miles since picking it up.

No complaints and love the truck - just thought I'd pass this along in the event anyone else is having increased front of engine start up noises that go away after a few seconds. There were no codes or any other abnormalities noted to my repair beyond the RH side chain tensioner was bleeding down after sitting.
I believe my truck is doing the same thing. Strangely it also happened after the 1st oil change. Did you happen to use full synthetic? Can you provide an update on the repair? Thanks

Frypie

Reaction score
Mine is in the shop right now having the same thing fixed. I fought hard for a new engine but Ford said rebuild. I'm supposed to get it back tomorrow

Chas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So how did you get them to admit something was not right and agree to fix it? Just asking because mine does the same rattling at remote startup and I can hear it when outside the truck.

ChaseU

Reaction score
I believe I’m having the onset of the same problem on my 2017 SCREW.

Those of you who have had your trucks in for this issue; did the dealership offer you a loaner/rental while your truck was in being serviced?

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck recently sat for four days, when it started it sounded like timing chain rattle. It was NOT the higher pitched rattle of the wastegates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

raisins

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just bought mine 2 weeks ago CPO with 7200 miles. Drove home at 11PM, next day started to notice the rattle. Truck has 7700 miles on it now and going into the dealer this Sunday. Really hope I don't run into any headaches having them fix it.

TigerRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is at the dealer now. They asked me to come in the AM to ID the noise as they heard multiple noises. I told them to fix all the ones that are not normal. LOL

Same noise as you guys described. Loud rattle at startup. Seems common with all of the Ecoboost engines from research. Longer it sits the worse it gets. Ford has a big problem on their hands. I hope it is solved with a PCM flash as I have read.

I did get a loaner FX4 with the 5.0. I want my truck back even more!

raisins

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine is at the dealer now. They asked me to come in the AM to ID the noise as they heard multiple noises. I told them to fix all the ones that are not normal. LOL

Same noise as you guys described. Loud rattle at startup. Seems common with all of the Ecoboost engines from research. Longer it sits the worse it gets. Ford has a big problem on their hands. I hope it is solved with a PCM flash as I have read.

I did get a loaner FX4 with the 5.0. I want my truck back even more!

Good luck! Let us know how it goes. I bought my truck out in PA (I’m from NJ) and the local dealer near me said they don’t have any loaners available, and they might need my truck for months. They also said there is a known issue on the Raptors. From watching videos on YouTube I have found 2 distinct rattle noises. One more severe than the other. Mine is the less severe, so I really hope it can be fixed via a flash. I’ve attached their e-mail response below:

‘My manager was just looking over our email conversations. He advised me that your truck may end up here for a while, months even. There is a on going issue with the Raptor engine that Ford is aware of but it takes a while for clearance and the job itself to get done. You are more than welcome to leave it with us but I will not have another vehicle for you and you are already aware of how backed up we are.’

What makes me wonder is the ‘clearance’ verbiage.

Quaesta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious does anyone with this problem have a tune installed? If so any issues from the dealer? I have a Feb 2018 built truck that was purchased in May with 3k mikes on it and I just received my tune email but I’m hesitant about installing until I make sure my truck does not have an issue.