GEN 2 Engine making strange noise. Time for a rebuild?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

colticus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a bad bearing on a pulley
Man that would be awesome if that was it and would explain the squealing sound I heard before the loss of power. But the knock is what’s throwing me off. All the pulleys that have gone bad in the past for me have made a squeaking type sound

WKUSMC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did a spirited drive and got up to 100mph, shortly after doing so there was a loud squeal like a belt slipping/seized pulley and a loss of power. Squeaking stopped. Pulled over and popped the hood and the truck soon died while idling. Wouldn’t crank until it was jumped. Once it cranked it sounded like it had bad wastegate rattle. Drove it a few miles home and it drove pretty good. A light shutter when taking off but was able to reach the speed limit and maintain power.
Once home recorded this noise.
Does that sound like rod knock?

Piston

Nesc204

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of restoring my Gen1 getting price quotes on various things. Engine I'm replacing and plan on Superchargeing it. Cost to take the engine out and di a rebuild with all the machining involved with heads, cylinders and valve seat and etc was going to cost around 15 grand and a yr in a half waiting list. Got a quote from Ford on a core swap rebuilt 6.2L for 4,800 plus 2 grand installation labor fees us the way to go. Will no longer be numbers matching anymore but it is much more affordable. The bad news is that I was told indefinite back order uuuuuuuugh so I'm looking into aftermarket . Fraser engines had only 1 in stock for 5 grand plus core charge but im several months away from having the coin and had to turn it down

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm in the process of restoring my Gen1 getting price quotes on various things. Engine I'm replacing and plan on Superchargeing it. Cost to take the engine out and di a rebuild with all the machining involved with heads, cylinders and valve seat and etc was going to cost around 15 grand and a yr in a half waiting list. Got a quote from Ford on a core swap rebuilt 6.2L for 4,800 plus 2 grand installation labor fees us the way to go. Will no longer be numbers matching anymore but it is much more affordable. The bad news is that I was told indefinite back order uuuuuuuugh so I'm looking into aftermarket . Fraser engines had only 1 in stock for 5 grand plus core charge but im several months away from having the coin and had to turn it down
There are so many owners looking for motors, hopefully somebody (ford) can produce about 500-1000 crate motors, I'm sure they would all sell in a year, since there are probably over a million high mileage f150/250s out there.

Nesc204

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are so many owners looking for motors, hopefully somebody (ford) can produce about 500-1000 crate motors, I'm sure they would all sell in a year, since there are probably over a million high mileage f150/250s out there.
Thats what I'm hoping for. But the service manager told me at my local dealership I always trust and go to, told me and makes sense that when Ford and as well as other vehicle manufacturers discontinue a certain model like a Gen 1 they stop production on big money items like engines and that either forces ya to buy new model or go Aftermarket.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thats what I'm hoping for. But the service manager told me at my local dealership I always trust and go to, told me and makes sense that when Ford and as well as other vehicle manufacturers discontinue a certain model like a Gen 1 they stop production on big money items like engines and that either forces ya to buy new model or go Aftermarket.
He is probably telling you the truth, but on the flip side, Ford is still selling crate motors for 60's cars, lol, although not factory production, but even better and modern, that bolt right in. Are these days going to the waste side?