GEN 2 Engine making strange noise. Time for a rebuild?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

colticus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess 2 points of concern. If they put in the old phaser rev parts (not the cd level) then, they should reimburse since those weren’t the correct parts. However, if they did install the cd parts, that’s also not good that they broke too. I thought the cd parts were supposed to fix this problem.
Part numbers they installed last time are:
HL3Z-6C525-CD for the cam
HL3Z-6256-CD for the cam sprocket
Everything else was bolts, belt/chain, antifreeze etc

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
if you got the CD parts then either you are one of maybe... and I mean maybe a literal handful of users who have had a CD phaser fail OR ... workmanship issue. Even the old phasers, a lot of people complained about them, but the ones who didn’t have issues didn’t say anything. the overwhelming majority of owners never had or have the concern even on the early model Raptors. I know that doesn’t help you here - but, even so, the number of people with CD phasers reporting failures has been very low.

Either way, it sounds like you’re covered and will be back in business soon.

OP
OP
C

colticus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you got the CD parts then either you are one of maybe... and I mean maybe a literal handful of users who have had a CD phaser fail OR ... workmanship issue. Even the old phasers, a lot of people complained about them, but the ones who didn’t have issues didn’t say anything. the overwhelming majority of owners never had or have the concern even on the early model Raptors. I know that doesn’t help you here - but, even so, the number of people with CD phasers reporting failures has been very low.

Either way, it sounds like you’re covered and will be back in business soon.
Def very strange as I have never heard of the newer parts failing. Im just hoping that's all it is and I don't have to come out of pocket for anything.
It must be pretty bad because it sounded nowhere near the same as when the phasers were bad the first time.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
yeah... that sounds a lot like a workmanship issue.
They’ll square this right away though.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I guess 2 points of concern. If they put in the old phaser rev parts (not the cd level) then, they should reimburse since those weren’t the correct parts. However, if they did install the cd parts, that’s also not good that they broke too. I thought the cd parts were supposed to fix this problem.
The TSB resolves the cold start noise that it was intended to fix.

OP has his truck stall on the highway and it now exhibits a knock noise. That has nothing to do with cam phaser part levels or the TSB. If anything, it sounds like a workmanship issue.

You scavenge the Gen 2 forums to cherry pick bits and pieces of irrelevant information and then regurgitate them into posts to generate speculation and confusion. Your ulterior motives are obvious; you don’t own a Raptor, you constantly put down Gen 2 trucks, and you interject misinformation under the false pretense of trying to “help”. @Kuan @PredatorRaptor @Azrael

OP - Let us know what the dealer finds upon tear down. Their diagnosis does not make sense based on the symptoms you experienced.

OP
OP
C

colticus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP - Let us know what the dealer finds upon tear down. Their diagnosis does not make sense based on the symptoms you experienced.
Just got the call that the truck was completed. Here is the invoice showing what was done.
I havent picked it up yet so I cant confirm that the noise/problem is in fact gone. Just taking their word for it right now.

-edit- is that a new phaser from before? Part number seems that way.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 11.17.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 11.17.01 AM.png
    205.6 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
OP
OP
C

colticus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also saw they did a reflash....

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 11.22.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 11.22.06 AM.png
    29.4 KB · Views: 9

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just got the call that the truck was completed. Here is the invoice showing what was done.
I havent picked it up yet so I cant confirm that the noise/problem is in fact gone. Just taking their word for it right now.

-edit- is that a new phaser from before? Part number seems that way.
Those are just the 2021 part numbers; they can use those if the 2017-2020 part number is on backorder. They function the same. I’m willing to bet they found a workmanship issue upon tear down, but good luck getting them to admit it. Hopefully the truck has been fixed properly this time.

OP
OP
C

colticus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those are just the 2021 part numbers; they can use those if the 2017-2020 part number is on backorder. They function the same. I’m willing to bet they found a workmanship issue upon tear down, but good luck getting them to admit it. Hopefully the truck has been fixed properly this time.
Well, picked it up and didn’t even get 1/2 mile before it started doing it again. So I just dropped it back off and they will get back with me tomorrow since the “engine guy” already left for the day. They said they drove it for around 10-15 miles after the phaser replacement and it didn’t make any sound. Hard to believe.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well, picked it up and didn’t even get 1/2 mile before it started doing it again. So I just dropped it back off and they will get back with me tomorrow since the “engine guy” already left for the day. They said they drove it for around 10-15 miles after the phaser replacement and it didn’t make any sound. Hard to believe.
No surprise unfortunately. The concern you posted does not match the symptoms of a cam phaser issue.