GEN 2 Engine making strange noise. Time for a rebuild?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

colticus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did a spirited drive and got up to 100mph, shortly after doing so there was a loud squeal like a belt slipping/seized pulley and a loss of power. Squeaking stopped. Pulled over and popped the hood and the truck soon died while idling. Wouldn’t crank until it was jumped. Once it cranked it sounded like it had bad wastegate rattle. Drove it a few miles home and it drove pretty good. A light shutter when taking off but was able to reach the speed limit and maintain power.
Once home recorded this noise.
Does that sound like rod knock?

Therock88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's your oil looking like (And do you have plenty in it)? It sounds like connecting rod or crank bearing knock to me, unfortunately. Good luck with it.

DC

OP
OP
C

colticus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's your oil looking like (And do you have plenty in it)? It sounds like connecting rod or crank bearing knock to me, unfortunately. Good luck with it.

DC
I immediately checked the oil and it was fine and showed plenty on the dipstick. Although it is due for a change. 5kish miles.

Would this require a long or short block to fix? Truck has almost 207k miles on it.

Therock88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I immediately checked the oil and it was fine and showed plenty on the dipstick. Although it is due for a change. 5kish miles.

Would this require a long or short block to fix? Truck has almost 207k miles on it.
Well...You got a lot of miles out of it anyway! I am new to this platform/vehicle and no expert on engine building (And there are likely some on here - and some that think they are :)). If the Rods and/or bearings are the issue, my thinking is you would need a SHORT Block. Assuming nothing in the heads or elsewhere are damaged or not functioning properly. Given the mileage, you MAY consider a Long Block, just to have some of the other parts newer.

Also, I would certainly verify the issue by at least pulling the pan etc... before purchasing a new engine (or anything).

Best of luck to you and I am sure others will chime in with some good advice.

DC

OP
OP
C

colticus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well...You got a lot of miles out of it anyway! I am new to this platform/vehicle and no expert on engine building (And there are likely some on here - and some that think they are :)). If the Rods and/or bearings are the issue, my thinking is you would need a SHORT Block. Assuming nothing in the heads or elsewhere are damaged or not functioning properly. Given the mileage, you MAY consider a Long Block, just to have some of the other parts newer.

Also, I would certainly verify the issue by at least pulling the pan etc... before purchasing a new engine (or anything).

Best of luck to you and I am sure others will chime in with some good advice.

DC
Thanks for your time and opinion. I will be taking it to the dealer soon to get a quote to repair. Just wanted to get some opinions before I took it so I won’t freak out when the call me with the diagnosis.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Doesn't sound good. Last guy on here that went to the dealer for a motor swap, got a quote of 14,000.00 fyi, which was absurd. I can't remember the name of the aftermarket company that others have gone to, but hopefully one of those guys responds if you do indeed need a new motor. SOunds bad and I would be worried. 200k is good for any motor even in todays standards, good luck.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
14k? JFC.

I was thinking around 8-10 since long blocks were about 5k on tasca.
At 200k, you're better off getting a long block. I'm not sure what all they come with either, like if you still have to buy cam phasers, etc?? Let us know what you find out, will be a good education tool for us.

Last edited:

Viper01

Reaction score
RMB Motorworks is a company that does long and short block work on the Raptor motors. I’ve heard mixed reviews though.