Searching for Gen 1, first time buyer could use a few pointers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

quickxotics

Reaction score
Hi all, wont waste too much of your time. Similar story as lots of people here, car guy since I was 16, having a kid late this year and getting out of my high horsepower toys.

I work from home and drive about 40 miles a week, currently have a GX460 and supercharged Corvette. My goal here is to consolidate a bit and get something that has the best of both worlds. Some of my die hard Lexus/Toyota friends are crucifying me over selling a GX for Raptor but I just really dont like not having a bed (even a short bed) for hauling things or just the extra space if needed.

I've been at war with myself over the Gen 1 and Gen 2 and honestly just think I'll be happier if I get a super clean Gen 1 worst case I change it out down the road. The real question here is, most of the Gen 1s obviously have a little higher mileage on average and I am trying to gauge what are the things I should be looking out for and what mileage is "too much" in these trucks. I'm the type of person who thinks ownership/care/maintenance trumps actual mileage but I just want to hear from what others thought who bought 70k+ mile trucks and were you happy with your decision, do you wish you ponied up the extra money for those really low mileage ones, etc. You get what I'm asking here. Basically I don't want to pay the money for a gen 1 that could easily cover a gen 2 lol, that's psychologically just messing with me.

Hope to update with a new truck in the next few weeks in the other forum! Thanks all

itsrichierich

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to FRF. As with everything, check the essential wear and tear items. The Raptor is no different than any of the vehicles you own.

Now, there are some common issues you need to see if they have been addressed:
1. Fuse 27
2. Power steering pump
3. Leadframe
4. Dented cab between cab and bed
5. Blend door actuator

I owned a GX460 and now this Raptor. Both have their pros and cons. As you mentioned, I needed a bed, so the Raptor suited me better.

Last edited:

Irregular F150

its terrain good sir!
Reaction score
What was said above and check for rust.

Im pushing 193k and only have done minor repairs and with it having a sunroof ive had to chase a leak. If you live in one of these salt road states make sure you pull the roof drains out of the rockers!!

funkified

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i bought mine with high mileage at 150k mi, ive put on 15k since no issues in the engine. I did have to replace the leadframe, which was my fault because i did the trans flush instead of just a fluid change. Didn't read enough on the forums before I got that work done.

I was also looking for a GX at the time of getting my Raptor, but used prices at the time were ridiculous so we didnt go for it. Found a good deal on the higher mileage truck and I dont regret it one bit. We own a ISF as well so the V8 Lexus is covered there lol.

Wife and I weren't too concerned with the higher mileage 6.2, they have been proven to be pretty reliable past 200-250k.

I also like the Gen 1's because they're more analog and likely cheaper to maintain in the long run than a Gen 2.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What is your budget? Your best bet is to buy the “most” truck you can get for your money, meaning newest with the lowest miles. As far as your “friends”, real friends don’t give people a hard time for upgrading to a better vehicle. Toyota/“Lexus” fanboys are some of the most brainwashed and annoying people in existence.

I agree that care and maintenance can be just as significant a factor as mileage. I would take a higher mileage vehicle that was impeccably cared for and maintained over one with lower miles that shows more wear and tear.

OP
OP
Q

quickxotics

Reaction score
What is your budget? Your best bet is to buy the “most” truck you can get for your money, meaning newest with the lowest miles. As far as your “friends”, real friends don’t give people a hard time for upgrading to a better vehicle. Toyota/“Lexus” fanboys are some of the most brainwashed and annoying people in existence.

I agree that care and maintenance can be just as significant a factor as mileage. I would take a higher mileage vehicle that was impeccably cared for and maintained over one with lower miles that shows more wear and tear.
Budget really is anything between $40-50k which opens up a lot of doors. That's where the gen 1 vs gen 2 debate enters my brain. I have found a few 55,000-70,000 mile Gen 2s in my budget locally and have also found some really clean gen 1s in the high $30s to even low $40s. My friends are just giving me a hard time they don't really care in the end, I agree about the brainwashing though lol it's just all in good fun though.

StangGT5

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went through this same debacle earlier this year before purchasing my first Raptor. I was always a car guy/ Land Rover guy. I had trucks only for towing/hauling related to those toys r house work. I looked for nearly 4 months to find a red, loaded 13-14 with under 75K miles. I also wanted one from a Ford dealer so I could get the max Ford warranty. Around 75K there are some "major" services like transmission service and spark plugs that you should make sure are done. I say "major" because the cost of maintenance is laughable compared to my Rovers. I finally found one with 70K miles a flight away and have loved it since I bought it. These trucks go 200K + and I plan to keep it at least until the extended warranty runs around 115K.

Similar to your GX, I had been driving a LR4 before the Raptor became my DD. My only complaint is that it is way wider and not as garage friendly. My LR4 has larger tires, 18" wheels, full armor, etc. but it accelerates quicker and easy to maneuver in town. Coming from the GX, the Raptor should feel more powerful, though you'll still run into the size issue. Even so, I have started driving the Raptor more than the LR4.

As for Gen 1 v Gen 2 that's a beaten horse. I didn't want to spend more than $55K, so that put low mileage Gen 2s in my range and made the decision harder. The Raptor was going to be a DD/toy, with a Super Duty for towing/hauling, so I wanted the "cooler" of the two. That meant a meaty V8, more analogue feel, less issues, and aggressive fender flairs won me over. The Raptor I ended up buying already had a corsa exhaust and a cold air intake, so the sound alone beat the pants off the Gen 2s I looked at. I used to own a fuily built Taurus SHO and never thought it sounded very good. The Ecoboost just sounds too much like the Taurus to me.

Even though I bought it as toy, I have towed a 4700lb race Jeep with the Raptor and found it very capable. Couldn't be happier unless I'm in a parking garage.