GEN 2 Engine stumble under light boost on freeway - code P0301

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

91Eunos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know there are a couple similar threads out there, but my situation is a bit odd.

Background: Truck religiously maintained, and only super unleaded/93 octane or better ever put in the tank. Have had cam phasers replaced twice, and IWE done once…all under warranty.

Situation: My wife was driving my truck down from Ft Worth a couple weeks ago and said she got a flashing check engine light, with a noticeable loss of power, then the light stopped flashing and the truck was driving normally. No codes thrown though, which I thought was odd.

Fast forward to last week, and I’m driving in to work in typical San Antonio early-morning traffic on I35…. i.e. full throttle followed by full stop, LoL. Got the flashing light and could feel the engine stumble, along with a huge power loss. First thought was an intake hose came off or collapsed, but as I was making my way over to pull off the highway, after about 30 seconds or so, it cleared up and the truck drove normally.

Later that day, I grabbed my OBD-2 reader and got a P0301 code: misfire on cylinder #1

No issues since, and I’ve intentionally gotten into the boost a few times to see if it’ll trigger again. Nothing.

It’s been almost 40K miles since the last time I changed the spark plugs, so I’ll do that today, but anything else I should be looking for?

Any easy way I can check the coils at home?

—break—

Also, I have noticed an occasional big ‘clunking’ noise that you can feel when putting the truck into gear after reversing out of a parking spot lately. Only when it’s cold. Likely nothing to worry about, but any thoughts on getting the transmission/rear diff looked at?

Will mention it if I wind up taking it into the dealer for this engine code regardless.

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When you’re changing plugs do a thorough visual inspection of the coils and boots. Look for cracks, corrosion, swelling, etc. Are you running a tune or stock?

OP
OP
91Eunos

91Eunos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did the plugs, nothing out of the ordinary. Definitely worn, but not ridiculously so. Here’s the plug from the #1 cylinder (the one that threw the code), next to a new plug:

608E6851-4FE4-4B31-ADB6-F2BCFB2A3A9E.jpeg

I took individual pics of all the others too, but all looked about the same to me. Here’s a group pic of all six; in order from top to bottom, 1-6 :

EF0BF52A-75F9-4356-8DA4-3E0E768842DA.jpeg

Nothing unusual noted on the coils or boots, no cracks or indication of over heating, and the boots were still very supple. I also started and ran the truck for about a minute after each plug was changed, just in case I didn’t get something right.

So far, so good…. No codes and it seems to be running very smoothly. Gonna take my wife out to dinner in a bit, and will get into the boost a bit during the drive as well.

edit: back from dinner, and did several moderately hard pulls in normal and sport mode…zero issues!

Last edited:
OP
OP
91Eunos

91Eunos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was a little concerned about the oil on #5, but now think it’s just old anti-seize. I looked down in the cylinder with a flashlight and small mirror and didn’t see anything.

OP
OP
91Eunos

91Eunos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will grab some of those next time I’m at the dealer…or if I have any issues again.

Changing the plugs really isn’t difficult at all; some fiddly bits moving stuff out of the way, but pretty easy and straightforward, so going back in to replace the boots won’t be difficult.

OP
OP
91Eunos

91Eunos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, it’s back…. Did a long drive on the freeway, and on the return leg it happened again. Same thing

same code too: 0301

Off to the other side of San Antonio to grab the sole ignition coil actually in stock. More to follow.

ColoradoBoss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was told not to run anti seize on spark plugs because it can cause issues. Also mine clunks in reverse too. It stopped when I replaced the suspension in November but it's started to do it again but not as harshly.