Electrical help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My passenger side brake lights were working intermittently last week and now are not working at all. I was running LED tail lights and have since switched to OEM with halogen bulbs and an LED reverse light bulb. The brake lights still don't work and neither do the turn signals, but only on the passenger side. Drivers side works as it should. I've checked the fuses, as well as the actual 3 pin plug that the light goes into. What else should i check? I am getting a hyper blink when i turn on the turn signal but again, only the passenger side. Also, when i checked the plug, there was no power going to the pin that activates the brake lights, however there was power going to the pin that powers the tail lights. I also checked the wire going into the plug and it was not getting power as well. Is there something upstream of the lights than i can check?

OP
OP
Jhollowell

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its a 2011. Also one thing to note is i was running some LED tail lights for years, then swapped them for a set of Alphrex and now the problems have started. And again, i have OEM halogen tail lights installed with only the reverse light as an LED bulb

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The stop lamps and turn signals are powered by transistors in the Body Control Module (BCM). The tail lamps are powered separately by a relay. The transistors measure the current draw of the lamps to determine proper operation; if the current is out of spec due to aftermarket LEDs, it will set DTCs. If those DTCs set enough times (thousands) the BCM and will disable the output and may set an internal failure code.

I would recommend starting with a scan tool such as ForScan to pull BCM DTCs. That will give you a good point of reference as to whether you’re dealing with a connector/harness issue or a damaged BCM.

OP
OP
Jhollowell

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The stop lamps and turn signals are powered by transistors in the Body Control Module (BCM). The tail lamps are powered separately by a relay. The transistors measure the current draw of the lamps to determine proper operation; if the current is out of spec due to aftermarket LEDs, it will set DTCs. If those DTCs set enough times (thousands) the BCM and will disable the output and may set an internal failure code.

I would recommend starting with a scan tool such as ForScan to pull BCM DTCs. That will give you a good point of reference as to whether you’re dealing with a connector/harness issue or a damaged BCM.
thank you @FordTechOne i ordered a scanner today so i will check that tomorrow. If it is the BCM is there a way for me to fix it or I am making a trip to the dealership.