Educate me on this transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jonboy

Reaction score
The 10R is unlike any traditional automatic, and especially not like a 20 year old slush box. It’s designed to minimize parasitic losses and maximize effective torque transfer. It has the capability of shifting faster than a DCT, yet can shift smoother than a conventional automatic transmission. Under normal driving, it will not just default to a neutral state on coast down. It holds gears and downshifts accordingly for engine braking and to prepare for for an event in which the driver gets back on the accelerator after decel. That’s why if you slow down quickly you will feel the downshifts; it won’t just disengage. That’s normal. In an old school automatic you feel nothing, because it’s essentially completely disengaged until you stab the accelerator and it tries to find an appropriate gear to resume.

l hope that helps; from your description it just sounds like you’re feeling the downshifts more than you’re used to.
Buzzzzzzzzzz

blue22raptor

Reaction score
Yeah, this transmission is def not the best. Maybe it’s just in the programming. I went from a 2016 3.5 eco to a 2019 3.5 eco for the 10 speed. I actually liked it in my 2019 (except for the skip shift from 1-3) but I tuned that truck and the tranny was great! My ‘22 Raptor feels A LOT more confused/clunky. Also feels very sluggish on gear selection and holding gears too long under normal acceleration...waiting on a good tune to iron out all the kinks…kinda disappointed, tho, as I should have just pulled the trigger and bought a Raptor a few years ago… Now, after driving my ‘22 for a few months, I wish I had my 2019 back…

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, this transmission is def not the best. Maybe it’s just in the programming. I went from a 2016 3.5 eco to a 2019 3.5 eco for the 10 speed. I actually liked it in my 2019 (except for the skip shift from 1-3) but I tuned that truck and the tranny was great! My ‘22 Raptor feels A LOT more confused/clunky. Also feels very sluggish on gear selection and holding gears too long under normal acceleration...waiting on a good tune to iron out all the kinks…kinda disappointed, tho, as I should have just pulled the trigger and bought a Raptor a few years ago… Now, after driving my ‘22 for a few months, I wish I had my 2019 back…
If you are coming from a Non-Raptor 10 speed, the transmission calibration in the Raptor tends to be more conservative in normal mode. I suspect this is for fuel economy, as the Raptor’s 35” tires and 4.10 axle ratios don’t do it any favors.

As far as clunky shifts, that doesn’t sound normal. Is it one shift in particular or just random?

OP
OP
4wheelinAZ

4wheelinAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did some joy riding in sport yesterday to try some stuff out. Definitely doesn’t have that ‘clunk’ downshift issue in sport. I’d think if it’s an actual tranny issue, I’d see it across all modes. I’m thinking software. But if you Google or YouTube ‘F150 transmission clunk’, the hits are endless.

ihoffland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really don't like driving in normal.
It seems too conservative, yet unpredictable when it shifts. I only run normal on the highway, every other time I use sport. It drives so much better and shifts predictable.
I didn't spend 80k on this thing to drive it like a grandma either lol

OP
OP
4wheelinAZ

4wheelinAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really don't like driving in normal.
It seems too conservative, yet unpredictable when it shifts. I only run normal on the highway, every other time I use sport. It drives so much better and shifts predictable.
I didn't spend 80k on this thing to drive it like a grandma either lol
Yeah I like Sport a lot as well. However, the shifting is a bit harsher than normal mode, and sometimes I’m just not in the mood for it.

Syberspace

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was hoping you’d chime since you know your sh*t. It really seem like its only one gear, maybe 3 or 4. It’s definitely a hard thing to describe. But I haven’t had this until now, so who knows. It’s Sport she shifts a tad harsher but that’s to be expected. I’ll keep an eye on it I guess
Interestingly enough... my 8 to 7 downshift is much more abrupt than any other. Especially when I force it with the paddles and more so in sport mode.

That said, the shift strategy in the Gen 3 is much better than the Gen 2 in my opinion.

OP
OP
4wheelinAZ

4wheelinAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interestingly enough... my 8 to 7 downshift is much more abrupt than any other. Especially when I force it with the paddles and more so in sport mode.

That said, the shift strategy in the Gen 3 is much better than the Gen 2 in my opinion.
The first time I felt the downshift clunk was downhill in the mountains at about 50mph. Not sure what gear since it doesn’t show that anymore (unless doing manual). It was only the one gear. I’m thinking 3 4 or 5th. I almost wish normal mode was like sport without the harshness. Oh wait, isn’t that what it’s supposed to be? Lmao