Educate me on this transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine does it a lot when coming to a stop as well. If yours is usually happening when you are coming to a stop, try putting it in neutral at around 20 or 25mph and as you brake or coast to a stop pay attention around 7mph. My truck clunks almost every time like that. Feels like the torque converter is disengaging or something, and when it does it with a bit of a load on the drivetrain it can be a decent kick in the āss kind of feel.
This exactly. You get to a stop sign and the tranny clunks/hard shifts. It was real bad in the Gen 2. Strangely I didn’t have it at first and now with 7500 I’ve got it.

OP
OP
4wheelinAZ

4wheelinAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This exactly. You get to a stop sign and the tranny clunks/hard shifts. It was real bad in the Gen 2. Strangely I didn’t have it at first and now with 7500 I’ve got it.
Mine isn’t a daily, so my mileage is lower than most. I want to say mine started to do it around 4500

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine isn’t a daily, so my mileage is lower than most. I want to say mine started to do it around 4500
Mine isn't daily either. I am starting to look at the RPM's and if the vehicle is on a cold or hot engine. This was a huge problem with the Gen2's. It would almost give you whiplash. I was so impressed how the Gen 3 didn't have this issue until around the 5k mark and then it started to happen.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine isn't daily either. I am starting to look at the RPM's and if the vehicle is on a cold or hot engine. This was a huge problem with the Gen2's. It would almost give you whiplash. I was so impressed how the Gen 3 didn't have this issue until around the 5k mark and then it started to happen.
I am not familiar with this “huge problem” you speak of, and I certainly don’t have it on my Gen 2. If you slow down quickly to a stop, the transmission needs to downshift more quickly to match the gear ratio to the speed. In that case you will feel the shifts, especially as it goes into 1st, which is a 4.69:1 ratio.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am not familiar with this “huge problem” you speak of, and I certainly don’t have it on my Gen 2. If you slow down quickly to a stop, the transmission needs to downshift more quickly to match the gear ratio to the speed. In that case you will feel the shifts, especially as it goes into 1st, which is a 4.69:1 ratio.
I guess problem might not be the correct word but issue is definitely there and many Gen 2 owners report exactly what you are describing above. My dad's gen 2 was pretty bad. I know there was a TSB out for it and a reprogram of the transmission but if this is supposed to be happening and "normal" we can close this and I don't need to look into it any further. I've never owned a vehicle I guess that would have such a hard downshift into 1st and it seems to happen at slow speeds also but not as much.

Is it worth having the dealer check it out?

Dnpbakon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can say I’ve had a 2021 fx4 f150 and a 2022 fx4. Both had horrible transmission learning patterns. From up shifting to down shifting. Very very harsh and hunted constantly. That being said, I averaged 22-23mpgdling about 78mph on the highway so they were extremely effective.

The gen 3 raptor though (700ish miles) has been absolutely butter smooth both up and down shifting. I do noting higher transmission temps though. 192-198 in drive and about 194-200 static or in traffic. Not sure if the higher temps make it run “smoother” or not or if those temps are normal.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I guess problem might not be the correct word but issue is definitely there and many Gen 2 owners report exactly what you are describing above. My dad's gen 2 was pretty bad. I know there was a TSB out for it and a reprogram of the transmission but if this is supposed to be happening and "normal" we can close this and I don't need to look into it any further. I've never owned a vehicle I guess that would have such a hard downshift into 1st and it seems to happen at slow speeds also but not as much.

Is it worth having the dealer check it out?
If it exhibits a hard shift to 1st when slowing down quickly, that’s normal. If you’re slowing down gradually and you get a hard shift (in normal mode), I would start by doing a transmission adaptive reset and drive cycle. That will wipe out any learned values that may be causing it to shift that firmly.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I can say I’ve had a 2021 fx4 f150 and a 2022 fx4. Both had horrible transmission learning patterns. From up shifting to down shifting. Very very harsh and hunted constantly. That being said, I averaged 22-23mpgdling about 78mph on the highway so they were extremely effective.

The gen 3 raptor though (700ish miles) has been absolutely butter smooth both up and down shifting. I do noting higher transmission temps though. 192-198 in drive and about 194-200 static or in traffic. Not sure if the higher temps make it run “smoother” or not or if those temps are normal.
These transmissions are designed to run at those temperatures; that is when they perform optimally. That is why they have a transmission fluid warmer in addition to a cooler.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If it exhibits a hard shift to 1st when slowing down quickly, that’s normal. If you’re slowing down gradually and you get a hard shift (in normal mode), I would start by doing a transmission adaptive reset and drive cycle. That will wipe out any learned values that may be causing it to shift that firmly.
Thank you. I've got to get it in for some other small items also so I will ask them to do this. Is there anyway this can be done by me and not going to the dealer?