Educate me on this transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blue22raptor

Reaction score
My tans usually feels a bit more clunky in my neighborhood. Usually when coming to a stop sign. Maybe the 3 to 2 shift? Maybe 4 to 2 shift, if it skips 3rd. Can’t tell, because Ford doesn’t show us what gear we are in anymore (except in manual mode).
Sport mode is nice, but just holds the gears too long for me.
I don’t think the trans will ever give me any real problems. I’m just a little disappointed in the way it shifts.
Makes sense, that the shift strategies are a little more conservative in the heavier Raptor, although, I thought it would have been the other way around. More aggressive in the Raptor…
Either way, I still love the truck, as it is the most comfortable truck I have ever owned or ridden in! Could use a little quicker shifting and more aggressive acceleration.
Need that dang tune already……

Last edited:

blue22raptor

Reaction score
Was just reading some of the aftermarket exhaust posts. Perhaps my issues are related to my rattling stock exhaust? A few guys stated that the pedal had a dead spot after exhaust install, where the truck had to do a little learning before it rode smooth again. I’m thinking, maybe my truck is a little confused, with the sudden restriction/release of exhaust gases, as the valves flap open and closed randomly and repeatedly? I’ll find out soon. Called my local dealer a few weeks ago. Earliest appt is Oct 18th...they will look at the exhaust then. Maybe another month before they will reschedule me to come back for a muffler replacement…

OP
OP
4wheelinAZ

4wheelinAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was just reading some of the aftermarket exhaust posts. Perhaps my issues are related to my rattling stock exhaust? A few guys stated that the pedal had a dead spot after exhaust install, where the truck had to do a little learning before it rode smooth again. I’m thinking, maybe my truck is a little confused, with the sudden restriction/release of exhaust gases, as the valves flap open and closed randomly and repeatedly? I’ll find out soon. Called my local dealer a few weeks ago. Earliest appt is Oct 18th...they will look at the exhaust then. Maybe another month before they will reschedule me to come back for a muffler replacement…
Are you talking about the exhaust valve rattle? If that is what you are talking about, a new exhaust will not fix it. Engineers have a fix soon

GoldBeach

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My tans usually feels a bit more clunky in my neighborhood. Usually when coming to a stop sign.
Mine does it a lot when coming to a stop as well. If yours is usually happening when you are coming to a stop, try putting it in neutral at around 20 or 25mph and as you brake or coast to a stop pay attention around 7mph. My truck clunks almost every time like that. Feels like the torque converter is disengaging or something, and when it does it with a bit of a load on the drivetrain it can be a decent kick in the āss kind of feel.

OP
OP
4wheelinAZ

4wheelinAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does it a lot when coming to a stop as well. If yours is usually happening when you are coming to a stop, try putting it in neutral at around 20 or 25mph and as you brake or coast to a stop pay attention around 7mph. My truck clunks almost every time like that. Feels like the torque converter is disengaging or something, and when it does it with a bit of a load on the drivetrain it can be a decent kick in the āss kind of feel.
Well I guess I feel better that it’s not just my transmission. Still pretty dumb considering I’ve never had this in any other vehicle. Sounds like an engineer problem to me. Seems to be a lot of that at ford….

GoldBeach

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I guess I feel better that it’s not just my transmission. Still pretty dumb considering I’ve never had this in any other vehicle. Sounds like an engineer problem to me. Seems to be a lot of that at ford….
Will yours do it in neutral if you coast down past 7mph? I tried it probably 20 times in a row one day and it made some degree of a clunk 80% of the time.

OP
OP
4wheelinAZ

4wheelinAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will yours do it in neutral if you coast down past 7mph? I tried it probably 20 times in a row one day and it made some degree of a clunk 80% of the time.
It’s only clunked maybe once or twice while going slower in my neighborhood when I stop. Where I first noticed it was slowing down on a decline in the mountains at about 50mph or so. And it never clunks in sport mode. Harsher shifts, yes, but never clunks

blue22raptor

Reaction score
Well, I guess my transmission isn‘t as bad as what you guys are saying. I’ve never felt anything that is really concerning. Just generally a little clunky. And yes, AZ, I was talking about the exhaust valve rattle…

OP
OP
4wheelinAZ

4wheelinAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just watched a YouTube video from two years ago. He got harsh downshift from 5th to 4th— just like I experienced. So this issue definitely exists. And it definitely has stuck around. Sounds like a PCM software update was going out under a TSB back then.

GoldBeach

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck is in the shop for a leaking axle seal and the suspension clunk and while I was looking around about the SSM information I saw this regarding the transmission and harsh/delayed shifting issues. My service guy is on lunch so I'll try to see if he can take a look at it for me as well today. My truck and my wife's 2022 Aviator have both had some issues, mine being far more often than hers.

Edit: Didn't have time to check the trans yesterday and I needed it back, so we are going to schedule that for when the two rear replacement shocks come in. He estimates 7-10 days.

Last edited: