Educate me on this transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4wheelinAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2021 37 pack. About 4100 miles on the clock. Noticed a couple weeks ago while driving in the mountains (pretty decent declines and such), that when I’d brake or slow down the tranny would downshift HARD. But only seems to do it in one gear. Fast forward to today, I’m in my neighborhood slowing down to a stop and it does it again. A very hard shift when ONLY downshifting. Almost like a shudder.

Now this is my first ford. Transmission has never impressed me with the clunky feel to the gears (there’s like 4000 of em). Is this normal to this transmission? I’m coming from a 20 tundra pro, and besides the old school 6 speed it’s a smooth shift every time. Any insight would be great. Thanks guys

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The 10R is unlike any traditional automatic, and especially not like a 20 year old slush box. It’s designed to minimize parasitic losses and maximize effective torque transfer. It has the capability of shifting faster than a DCT, yet can shift smoother than a conventional automatic transmission. Under normal driving, it will not just default to a neutral state on coast down. It holds gears and downshifts accordingly for engine braking and to prepare for for an event in which the driver gets back on the accelerator after decel. That’s why if you slow down quickly you will feel the downshifts; it won’t just disengage. That’s normal. In an old school automatic you feel nothing, because it’s essentially completely disengaged until you stab the accelerator and it tries to find an appropriate gear to resume.

l hope that helps; from your description it just sounds like you’re feeling the downshifts more than you’re used to.

OP
OP
4wheelinAZ

4wheelinAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 10R is unlike any traditional automatic, and especially not like a 20 year old slush box. It’s designed to minimize parasitic losses and maximize effective torque transfer. It has the capability of shifting faster than a DCT, yet can shift smoother than a conventional automatic transmission. Under normal driving, it will not just default to a neutral state on coast down. It holds gears and downshifts accordingly for engine braking and to prepare for for an event in which the driver gets back on the accelerator after decel. That’s why if you slow down quickly you will feel the downshifts; it won’t just disengage. That’s normal. In an old school automatic you feel nothing, because it’s essentially completely disengaged until you stab the accelerator and it tries to find an appropriate gear to resume.

l hope that helps; from your description it just sounds like you’re feeling the downshifts more than you’re used to.
I was hoping you’d chime since you know your sh*t. It really seem like its only one gear, maybe 3 or 4. It’s definitely a hard thing to describe. But I haven’t had this until now, so who knows. It’s Sport she shifts a tad harsher but that’s to be expected. I’ll keep an eye on it I guess

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was hoping you’d chime since you know your sh*t. It really seem like its only one gear, maybe 3 or 4. It’s definitely a hard thing to describe. But I haven’t had this until now, so who knows. It’s Sport she shifts a tad harsher but that’s to be expected. I’ll keep an eye on it I guess
For sure. It shouldn’t change on mileage, but the adaptive strategy can be detrimental depending on what it “learns”.

Raptor10X

Reaction score
That is not normal. Mine was hard downshifting into third, it was a clunk. And when downshifting even in cruise control at 65 it would clunk really hard. TCM needs to be reprogrammed or there’s a challenge with the transmission.

OP
OP
4wheelinAZ

4wheelinAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is not normal. Mine was hard downshifting into third, it was a clunk. And when downshifting even in cruise control at 65 it would clunk really hard. TCM needs to be reprogrammed or there’s a challenge with the transmission.
I know exactly what you are talking about when you say ‘clunk’. It definitely doesn’t feel normal. It just doesn’t happen all the time, so I’m sure getting a tech to actually experience it will prove difficult

Keshka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what are we going to in the winter on slick roads.
won't be slowing down quickly, probably using "slippery" mode and hopefully the traction control will be keeping an eye on things. Not like my '91 F150 with a standard tranny. Back off the gas too fast on slick roads and boom! You were sliding.

2021 37 pack. About 4100 miles on the clock. Noticed a couple weeks ago while driving in the mountains (pretty decent declines and such), that when I’d brake or slow down the tranny would downshift HARD. But only seems to do it in one gear. Fast forward to today, I’m in my neighborhood slowing down to a stop and it does it again. A very hard shift when ONLY downshifting. Almost like a shudder.

Now this is my first ford. Transmission has never impressed me with the clunky feel to the gears (there’s like 4000 of em). Is this normal to this transmission? I’m coming from a 20 tundra pro, and besides the old school 6 speed it’s a smooth shift every time. Any insight would be great. Thanks guys
Your control system should be RPM matching on downshifts...mine does.

OP
OP
4wheelinAZ

4wheelinAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
won't be slowing down quickly, probably using "slippery" mode and hopefully the traction control will be keeping an eye on things. Not like my '91 F150 with a standard tranny. Back off the gas too fast on slick roads and boom! You were sliding.

Your control system should be RPM matching on downshifts...mine does.
Not sure what you mean by control system?